Paint Question

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jimmy M.

Paint Question

Post by Jimmy M. »

I'm soon about to start the paint process. I've decided on Dupont Imron with epoxy
primer and of course the acid etch and alodine. I'm going all white , not worried about trim just yet.

My question..........what kind of quantities of each product ?? ( just ballpark of course )

Thanks.............Jim
Jim Martin
'46 Aeronca Chief, 160 hp ( homebuilt )
'56 170 square tail, 180 hp. :)
Showboatsix

Re: Paint Question

Post by Showboatsix »

Imron is impossible to spot repair, I would peronally and did use PPG Concept paint, Vari-prime self etch primer, painted the plane 10 years ago still looks great and the shine is like new today.
you did not say what kind of plane you were painting, I used about 4.5 gallons of paint, Red, Green and White.
10 year old paint.......59 year old guy!
10 year old paint.......59 year old guy!
UAO, Aurora Oregon
Hanger 26
56' C-172, With Conventional Gear Conversion
S/N 28963
N6863A
Jimmy M.

Post by Jimmy M. »

Same as yours ......'56 172 taildragger, 180 hp

I pretty much have to go with Imron, I did a bunch of work for a fella and he's paying
me with paint supplies. He deals with Dupont. I have several friends with Imron paint
jobs that are getting close to thirty years old and still look good.
I've heard good things about PPG also.
I'm going all white with a little bit if red trim so does a couple gallons of white, a gallon of primer and a Quart of red sound right ??

Thanks...............Jim
Jim Martin
'46 Aeronca Chief, 160 hp ( homebuilt )
'56 170 square tail, 180 hp. :)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

We touched up the Imron on my 206 (original Dupont Imron was already 15 years old when I bought it) after I'd owned it 6 years, and it did just fine. The 9only reason we had to touch it up was because some nut lowered the flaps onto an open cargo door and the reskinned flaps and repaired door needed paint touch up. The old Imron still had a nice gloss to it.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)