Federal 3000 Wheel Skis

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

jaime72

Federal 3000 Wheel Skis

Post by jaime72 »

Who here is running the Federal 3000 wheel skis? What paperwork is required? Opinions? Problems? Suggestions?

I am getting ready to head south to look at a '54 170B and will need to add skis right away here in AK. Looking at a pair of Federal 3000's that appear to be in good condition (few photo's) for $9500.

Thanks,

Jaime
flat country pilot

Re: Federal 3000 Wheel Skis

Post by flat country pilot »

I have been researching skis and am close to buying some, here is some of what I have found.

First, I have ZERO experience with skis, therefore this info may be worth just that much.

I have not totally ruled out wheel penetration skis, but I don't believe my mighty 145hp 0300 is enough for them. In most cases 145hp may be ok, but the one time its not is probably when I would need the performance the most. I think the protruding tires and additional weight would just be a big drag.

Maybe the plane your looking at has more ponies upfront.

I have not considered hydraulic skis but did think about two position skis, Aero R2800. The Aero R2800 you place in the ski position on the ground, in the air they have a cable to pull and the spring moves them into the wheel position. $6,500 to $7,000. Again more weight and hardware on my little plane.

I am leaning towards the Aero 2000 straight ski. They are 20lbs each, less drag than wheel penetration skis, and about $2,500 new with poly bottoms and rigging. (tax and shipping, extra) They obviously limit where I can land, but I think will be the best ski for my situation.

Haven't bought them yet, still researching the Landis penetraion ski.

In my search I have found a pair of used Aero 3000 straight skis for $1,700. They are in absolutely new condition. I have no reason to help sell them, just mentioning it to you if your interested. I think they are to big for my plane and the 2000 12" ski is better for my situation.

Again, I have never flown skis. No doubt your snow conditions in AK are way better than mine here in ND.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
dunn66

Post by dunn66 »

I have Federal 3000's on my 170, I love them. They are alot heavier than straight skies and you lose speed due to the tires still being on there. They are very easy to put on and remove (no jacking). Great for glare ice. If you want to land at airports they're the way to go. If your looking for the best performance get a set of airglass or aero's.
Brian
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

flat country pilot wrote:I have not considered hydraulic skis but did think about two position skis, Aero R2800. The Aero R2800 you place in the ski position on the ground, in the air they have a cable to pull and the spring moves them into the wheel position. $6,500 to $7,000. Again more weight and hardware on my little plane. Bill
If I had the money and wanted skiis for the 170, there would be no choice but the Aero R2800, assuming they are STC'd on the 170, and I think they are but definitely not approved on a C-180.

I know several Maule owners in Alaska that say they act just like straight skiis on the ground and you still have the option to retract them one time in the air if you need to land on wheels. Or you can retract them after landing if you need to push the plane back into a hangar. Very handy. As mentioned above, after landing on wheels you have to get out of the plane and use a lever bar to reset the skis to the extended position.

If the skiis are retracted and you need to land in snow, it's not a problem, you'll just slow down and stop a little faster like with wheel penetration skis. They are lighter (and probably tougher) than the surplus L-19 Federal AWB 2500 skiis that many Cub pilots use.

IMO, I WOULD NOT use wheel penetration skiis on a 170 due to the lack of horsepower (even with a bigger engine) to drag the extended wheels thru the snow.

Straight or retract skiis? Make your choice based on the conditions you are going to be flying in. For most everyone, retracts are worth it.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
flat country pilot

hilltop170 wrote
flat country pilot wrote:
I have not considered hydraulic skis but did think about two position skis, Aero R2800. The Aero R2800 you place in the ski position on the ground, in the air they have a cable to pull and the spring moves them into the wheel position. $6,500 to $7,000. Again more weight and hardware on my little plane. Bill

If I had the money and wanted skiis for the 170, there would be no choice but the Aero R2800, assuming they are STC'd on the 170, and I think they are but definitely not approved on a C-180.
The R2800 are not STC'd for the cessna tail wheel aircraft. They are STC'd for the 172s and 175s. :roll: I have talked to AERO three times in the last week and they are working on an STC for the 170, but don't have all the axle hardware done and don't know when they will. Could be a while. If we were all ringing their phone for R2800s, I think they would get'er done.

The R2800s are STC'd for Piper, Aeronca/Bellanca, Husky, Taylorcraft, Maule and Cessna 172/175.

In the mean time I plan to buy their M2000 straight ski with poly bottoms. 12" ski, 25lbs with 3/16" poly. After removing tires and brakes we should almost lose that much weight.

Where I live our snow can be marginal. If it is I'll clear the snow off the grass and put the tires on. The M2000s are not such a big investment that it will hurt real bad to leave them in the hangar. :(

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
flat country pilot

hilltop170 wrote
IMO, I WOULD NOT use wheel penetration skiis on a 170 due to the lack of horsepower (even with a bigger engine) to drag the extended wheels thru the snow.
I agree and eliminated the Landis penetration skis, which are not STC'd for the 170 either.
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
W.J.Langholz

Post by W.J.Langholz »

flat country pilot wrote:hilltop170 wrote
flat country pilot wrote:
I have not considered hydraulic skis but did think about two position skis, Aero R2800. The Aero R2800 you place in the ski position on the ground, in the air they have a cable to pull and the spring moves them into the wheel position. $6,500 to $7,000. Again more weight and hardware on my little plane. Bill

The R2800 are not STC'd for the cessna tail wheel aircraft. They are STC'd for the 172s and 175s. :roll: I have talked to AERO three times in the last week and they are working on an STC for the 170, but don't have all the axle hardware done and don't know when they will. Could be a while. If we were all ringing their phone for R2800s, I think they would get'er done.

The R2800s are STC'd for Piper, Aeronca/Bellanca, Husky, Taylorcraft, Maule and Cessna 172/175.

In the mean time I plan to buy their M2000 straight ski with poly bottoms. 12" ski, 25lbs with 3/16" poly. After removing tires and brakes we should almost lose that much weight.

Where I live our snow can be marginal. If it is I'll clear the snow off the grass and put the tires on. The M2000s are not such a big investment that it will hurt real bad to leave them in the hangar. :(

Bill
I have to do A CARDINAL sin here but does anyone have any pictures of a 172 with the R2800 skis on it :oops:

Willie
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC