Flying to work in pinamar

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Alterfede

Flying to work in pinamar

Post by Alterfede »

Hi, to those you dont know me, im from argentina. I have a 1950 170A. Im writing this to show something about what is happening to me here. If WX permits, im going to travel from Bariloche (SAZS, 130 km from i live), to pinamar, in the atlantic coast of the province of buenos aires. In order to start doing sightseeing flights in a friends company. It is just a 900 miles trip, but altough im doing 2 stops for fuel (car gas because no other is availabe where im going) in the first 600 miles there is nothing but desert and pampa below the belly. Im traveling with my wife, 200 pounds of baggage, and my cat Felipe. It will be like traveling alone because maico (my wife) only vomits and sleep :? while on this kinda trips, good thing i connected my walkman to the intercom :idea: !!! Hope my mech in bariloche put the damn :twisted: generator that delayed my take off since a month ago. Wx seems to have a hole on friday, so im going to take off at 6 in the morning to use as most of the light as possible. Ill update this when i arrive to pinamar or something else occurs, and then about my work there and the behaviour of the plane. My best regards to you all!!!!
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Good Luck Fede!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Roesbery

Post by Roesbery »

If you can find some candied ginger, have your wife eat a piece about 10 to 15 minutes before takeoff and then keep some in her mouth all during the trip. That way she won't have the motion sickness and will have a clear head and can enjoy the trip. I keep a supply in my plane all the time and eat it on every flight and offer it to all my passengers whether they need it or not.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Vietnemese grocery stores carry the candied ginger here in the DFW area.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

Fede..... Did you write 600 miles on the first leg of your trip :?:
Any fuel stops :?:
Good luck, let us know about your flight.
Bob
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

im doing a first leg of 350 miles and then another of 300, the final is just 150 miles, so 2 fuel stops. But i didnt left bariloche on saturday. Battery died and regulator too, so i got them but too late to leave the same day. So sunday morning im taking off, Im gonna write from pinamar on monday if nothing happens. FEH is flying great now!!! Un abrazo

FEDE
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

I arrived to pinamar on 31, got lots of things to tell,but im a little hurry in this cibercafe, attending lots of stuff, and i live far from town, i promise to update everything as soon as possible. The flight was kewl, and flying in the coast is too. Un abrazo
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

I'm glad you made it safely, Fede- I was thinking of your trip- quite an adventure ! Look forward to hearing details-
Happy New Year and best regards,
Rudy
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Was concerned, had not heard anything for a while, sure glad you made it Fede
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

fellows, im fine, juts not coming to the town in many days, and short on money for the internet, i promise to tell more asap, not flying much but soon i hope. Lots of work to maintain the airfield, Has runway and taxiway with lights (i repaired the system yesterday!!!) mowing all the airfield with tractor, repairing lots of stuff and the hangar and buildings. Well hope youre fine and flying a lot. I think next season will be really great. Un abrazo
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

Here i am again, lets start with the story, i think this will take many msgs so i dont make it boring. I was going to start the trip on november, went to bariloche with my wife, cat and my tent to wait for some good WX to take off, arrived a friday, had some good time witht the people of the flying club, some good asados and that stuff. Did some test flights on saturday everything was fine. On sunday was the club 60 anniversary, but tragedy happened, a piper aztec was doing a pass over the hangar and right wing broke and the airplane crashed inverted behind the hangar. 7 people died, incluiding the instructor i flew with the day before and Tino Cantero, the mechanic and good friend of mine. On sunday we decided to return to Bolson, because the WX was not good at all. Then returned on friday again, before take off i noticed that the ampmeter was in zero and have no power on the radio. Cancelled take off and back to the mech, The generator shaft broke behind the seal. Thanx to this, some mistakes of my friend fernando (the owner of pinamar airfield), who managed the generator stuff in buenos aires and some delays from the transport companies the 170 was ready to fly a month and a half later. When i went to bariloche again tried to start the plane and discovered that the batery was dead and the regulator was not working, that day we put a new battery and regulator (car ones of course, because it is imposible to get airplane parts rapidly here). On sunday 29 dec we took off to Rio colorado (sazq). But that is going to be in the second part of this.
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

We departed to rio colorado, but unfortunately got a good headwind and got to land in Choele Choel, 100 miles from rio colorado, is a 2000 mts asfalt runway, but nothing else, aso i called a taxi, went with my cans and bought some liters of cars gas, enought to go to rio, There was about 25 knots of crosswind and a heat of hell. Arrived to rio about 1.5 hours later, found the nice people that was waiting for me, we couldnt continue ythe trip because of thunderstorms in the way, so have to wait until the next day. That day i discovered i had a flu and i couldnt take any flight, so waited one more day, lucky me i continued the flight without problem except for the burn of my ring (and finger) thanks to not disconnect the negative while working on the battery!!! arrived to necochea (SAZO) after a wondeful flight at 100 knots IAS and no turbulence. Eated with a cousin and then took off to pinamar. AHH, this last leg was done on Dec 31, so this is a real NEW YEAR NEW LIFE. Ended with the trip part, in the following messages im gonna describe how was my life here this summer. Hoping not to be very boring.
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Fede, that sonds like an interesting trip- I look forward to hearing the rest of your story-
Rudy
Robert G. White

Please do continue

Post by Robert G. White »

Fede:
I second Rudy in asking that you keep us posted on your flying in Argentina. From what I've seen on TV it is a wonderful county and a great place for airplanes. You are "lucky" I know a man who almost lost his finger, ring turned red hot in a flash...
Blue skies to you, Bob
Bob White