Having trouble stripping stubborn factory paint.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Matthew_bailey

Post by Matthew_bailey »

Here is an update on my paint stripping project:

Have tried many strippers and methods, this is what seems to work the best so far. 'Aircaraft Paint stripper' and 'Jasco' strippers seem to work equally well. The big break through for me was switching over to a spray gun. Spraying vs brushing on the stripper is much more effective and quicker. The stripper seems to work so much better when sprayed on. I am using a conventional spray gun with 10 psi being fed into the paint cup vent to help push the thick stripper into the air stream. I can vary the pressure in the paint cup depending on how thick I want to lay on the stripper. By the way, I do not plan to use this same gun to paint with. Air temperature has an affect, the warmer the better. I do not bother scraping the paint off, I now just use a pressure washer to remove the paint once it has wrinkled up. If the primer is really stubborn, I will use a scotch brite pad while it is still soft and then finish with a pressure spray. Also, make sure you completely clean the surface with a pressure washer before you apply the stripper or between applications. Using this method you can strip a set of wings in one day.

Matt
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Yep you got it figured out. You could be hired by your local aircraft paint shop! I finished most of my painting for a while. I'll do the cowling after the Lycoming goes on and I fly it a bit.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180