leaking quick drain

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

flyer170

leaking quick drain

Post by flyer170 »

Remember my pop quiz about a leaking quick drain :?:
Well the quick drain on the right fuel tank started leaking last week :(
Drained the tank installed a new o ring and every thing is AOK.
No more pop quiz's
Bob
planepilot1

Leaking quick drains

Post by planepilot1 »

In the past I have replaced numerous "o" rings on the quick drains that you can drain by simply pushing up on the spring loaded bottom of the quick drain. (The type you can push up with your finger or with a sample container) I didn't even use the "flat" "o" rings, just round ones from the hardware store. Most lasted 1-2 yrs. When I repainted my plane I replaced these drains with the type that requires the metal rod to open them (reason I changed is this type don't stick down as far from the wing). I seem to have a contining leak problem with one or both of these types of drains. They don't use "o" rings, except to seal between the quick drain itself and the fuel tank fitting. I seem to get rust or corrosion inside the quick drain itself. At times it is difficult to "push" the metal rod up to let out gas. Then the darned thing drips. I have cleaned them and it helps, but eventually returns. WHAT GIVES HERE?
Frank Stephenson
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Replace them with the CAV170, Frank. There isn't enough drag from them to worry about. You'll still be able to outrun Joe. :lol:
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I just change out the Orings in mine with replacements from True Value Airmotive also. It's a good idea to eyeball the quick-drain itself pretty good any time you have it out of the tank fitting. Remember,this low point is where any water will collect,if the airplane sits a long time the top of the quick-drain is poked up into that water & can really suffer!
A year or so after I bought my 170,a quick-drain started leaking & I pulled it to replace the O-ring. Man,the top of that quick-drain was all rotted away! I bought all new quick-drains,but re-Oringed the old gnarly ones & carry them in the airplane as spares. It's a lot easier to just swap them out temporarily til ya get home,than to be out on the cold,windy ramp at some faraway airport trying to use one hand to plug the tank fitting while trying to fix the oring on your leaking quick-drain with the other hand. All this while gas is running down into your armpit!
I have heard of people having an old quick-drain FAIL,as in the top rotting right off,allowing the bottom part to depart the airplane.Bad enough on the ramp,just imagine it inflight! (Remember the "pop quiz" about this?) New quick-drains are cheap insurance at $10 or $11 each.Don't forget the one at the gascolator.

Eric