Sparky Imeson killed in plane crash

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

GAHorn

Sparky Imeson killed in plane crash

Post by GAHorn »

Sparky Imeson, author and famed "mountain pilot" was killed in a plane crash in Montana.
http://www.helenair.com/articles/2009/0 ... _plane.txt
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
3958v

Re: Sparky Imeson killed in plane crash

Post by 3958v »

Would be interesting to know if a 406 ELT could have saved him as the article indicates a 36 hr search. A friend of mine set off a 406 ELT in a Falcon they were working on and in less than a minute they recieved a call fom the feds checking to make sure that it was just a test. Bill K.
Polished 48 170 Cat 22 JD 620 & Pug
1SeventyZ

Post by 1SeventyZ »

3958v wrote:Would be interesting to know if a 406 ELT could have saved him as the article indicates a 36 hr search. A friend of mine set off a 406 ELT in a Falcon they were working on and in less than a minute they recieved a call fom the feds checking to make sure that it was just a test. Bill K.
It's my understanding that the aircraft burned after the crash.

Great loss to the backcountry flying community.
flyguy

Post by flyguy »

I recall the discussion two years ago. about the first crash and questions about the "tack" Sparky's Mountain Flying Service was taking. Some were concerned about whether it was a good idea gone bad or a high risk adventure for thrills. Most of us, in our outback flying, take some risks that aren't really necessary - it adds to the excitement> But if this very experienced pilot gets taken out by risky actions , it can be a lesson for each of us. Let us take it as his final contribution to our training.
-------------------------------------------
Post Script: The most recent data being released is that his flight included a fairly long period of time at or near 22000'. Any time above the 14000' level, a pilot is supposed to be on supplemental oxygen. This may have been a contributing factor to the crash. This subsequent narative indicates he might not have had oxy on board.

http://helenair.com/articles/2009/03/21 ... _crash.txt
OLE GAR SEZ - 4 Boats, 4 Planes, 4 houses. I've got to quit collecting!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The link you provided here Gar, refers to a flight TWO DAYS previous, in which Imeson flew so high, not the accident flight. Speculation in the article about the propriety of that flight does not seem to consider the possibility that Imeson may have had portable oxygen aboard.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I had a comment about the above in the members only section.
BL
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Several years ago this fellow started up a flight school at Pitt Meadows (CYPK) my home airport. I saw the plane he was using a 170B Lycoming powered with the powerflow exhaust but never was able to meet him. A good friend did meet him and was astonished by his flight plans. He was overseeing the flight school and was traveling between Pit Meadows and Jackson Hole on the return trip without refueling. His method was to climb to 20K and use the upper level winds to maximize his endurance. When my friend met him he was about to leave and he was observed to have a portable O2 system for himself and for his small lap dog! All I can say is that I wish I could have met him in person.
I don't want to get to that box early but then again I'm going to be there for a long time so I'm going to enjoy my plane as much as I can and I admire those that extract everything from the now.
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

According to the latest report (NTSB) it appears Mr. Imeson killed himself during a low-level buzz-job, perhaps looking at his previous accident-site.

Ironically, following the earlier crash he was quoted saying: "Is Imeson planning any new books soon? "Maybe one on how to survive a crash," he joked from his hospital room in Helena"