New member joining 01 January 2003 from Dubai U.A.E.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Gooney

New member joining 01 January 2003 from Dubai U.A.E.

Post by Gooney »

Good day Fellow members, I would like to take the opportunity of introducing myself, as I have just joined your association on the 1st January 2003

My name is Ian Pentz and I am a South African, living in Dubai, United Arab Emirates in the Middle East, flying the B777 as a Training Captain for Emirates Airlines. My User name is Gooney reason been is that the DC3 is by far the best aircraft that I have flown to date. (Mind you, still haven’t flown a C170)

So how did I become interested in C170’s? Well it all started 1 year ago in my home town of Plettenberg Bay South Africa, when a friend of mine bought me whale watching sightseeing flight in a Sheibe Falke 25. Since my SF25 flight I have had sleepless nights browsing through different sites looking to buy a single engine aircraft. I last flew singles back in my Airforce days in the early 80’s (C185’s) and after loosing a few friends in singles (mostly aerobatic accidents) I vowed never to put foot in one ever again, well that was till I was given this flight.

After been in the Airline trade for 10 years I realized that I was missing out on flying, yes you are right the good old stick and rudder, I had been a manager for too long and the excitement of flying had dissipated.

I immediately started looking to buying an aircraft, I figured I needed a challenge and all the aircraft that I looked at looked so boringly and easy to fly. It wasn’t till a friend of mine that owns a J3 Cub told me to look at a C170 on the web, “I guarantee you it will be love at first site” he maintained. I immediately went onto the search engine and the first C170 that I laid eyes on was the magnificent pumpkin and the moment I saw her I knew that I wanted nothing else; my mate wasn’t far wrong.

I have since read Richard Bach’s book the “Gift of Wings” which is highly inspirational and I would recommend it to fellow fliers, any good literature please let me have the details, I am hungry for info!

Unfortunately due to post 911, no light aircraft are allowed to fly in the United Arab Emirates so I will have to take Amelia, as she will be called, (to my mind one of the greatest aviators of past time Amelia Airhardt) back to SA. Unfortunately I won’t be flying her that much as I only get back to SA 3 times a year at the most for 3 weeks at a time.
Unfortunately I will only be able to fly max of 40 hours a year, what is the recommended procedure for inhibiting and un-inhibiting an engine or is it best to get someone to fly it once a month for a half an hour at a time? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have been on your web site on numerous occasions prior to being a member and the information was be most useful, having joined all I can say is that the members section there is so much more so available, so I encourage all C170 enthusiasts who haven’t joined up to do so ASAP as you are missing out! I am most impressed with the commitment and the free sharing of information that goes on from the technical side and the maintaining of the website as well as all the organising, well done to you all, I hope that I can contribute in time once my knowledge base builds up.

When I retire my dream and pray is to take Amelia into Africa and do missionary work, so the C170 that I intend buying (approx 40 US$, which I will have by the end of the year) has to be fit for a grinding job, please keep your eyes peeled, for one that is brave enough to join me and my adventures into deepest darkest Africa, not the place for the faint hearted. Apparently there is an Australia C170 doing missionary work in Papua New Guinea for MAF, that has many a hard working hour on it airframe. I will try to find out more about her and get back to you.

Well that about rounds things up from the Land of Sand, I look forward to a long and pleasant membership. I wish you all a happy 2003 and safe and enjoyable flying.

Regards

Ian Pentz
Alias “Gooney”
Emirates
FC 309
P.O. Box 92
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Tel/Fax: + 971-4-3940970
Ian's Mobiles: + 971-(0)50 6519973
Linda's Mobile: + 971-(0)50 456 5938
Ian's Mobile in S Africa:
+ 971-27 (0)82 360 7062
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

Gooney...... Welcome aboard. I'm looking out my window at snow flurries this morning, I don't suppose that you have that kind of view :D
You are right about about the members of this forum, I have learned a lot of valuable information from them and they have given me support when I needed it.
What a great name for your 170 I wish I had thought off it, just don't take it on a long flight over the Pacific :D
As for the 170 it is everything that it is advertised to be. A straight forward airplane, easy to handle and it's performance with the 145 hp engine for the most part matches the published figures.
During the summer I can operate out of the neighbors 1500 ft grass strip.
It has clear approaches (no trees, just corn sometimes) I can carry pilot, passenger (200 lb passenger, one of my sons), full fuel and a little baggage. The strip is at 1000 msl
My personal upper limit so to speak is 85 f, high humidity and no wind.
I never carry 3 adult passengers and full fuel out of that strip.
I have a 1950A C-145 cruise prop, I'm having a senior moment :oops:
I have to check the numbers on the prop but I do know it is not a climb prop.
You can land shorter than you can take off so you have to be carefull of your landing choices.
Some of the members have larger engines and have improved their performance, but it comes at a cost.
My own opinion is that if I wanted a larger engine in a 170 I would try to buy one already converted or buy a Cessna 180.
But my pockets are not as deep as some members in this forum :D
Take care
Bob
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Hi Ian,welcome aboard. I was wondering what sort of "personal" aircraft were manufactured in South Africa? I saw an airplane in a book about military aircraft that was kind of a clone of the Cessna L-19 Bird-dog called the Springbok (I think) which was built by Atlas in SA.
You've made a good choice in the 170,it's a good all-around airplane but still economical to buy & operate. Pretty gutless compared to a 185 though,so be prepared for that,but way more affordable.

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Ian,

It is exciting to hear your enthusiasm about aviation. I am working with a team of people designing a new turbine 10 place for missionary use. It would be something you'd like to see. With your interest in mission work I would beg you to get a copy of the book "Jungle Pilot". It is the story of Nate Saint and his work in Equador. I promise it will be as inspirational as Bach. Then look to the 170 links for the site about the bucket drop. It is the same technique he used in his days. I'm not quite a quick to say the 170 is gutless, I really appreciate what mine will do. I had an early 180 with a 300 hp conversion and 3-blade prop and I'll take the 170 in and out of place I would take the 180. The slower approach speed and greater visibility over the nose sure help.

Kelly
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Welcome, Ian!
Aeroshell has quit making their preservative oil (Type 2-F) due to low consumer interest, so unless you are able to find some I'd recommend that you have your airplane flown at least once monthly by an experienced tailwheel pilot, or find a gov't official who'll approve your local use of your airplane. Surely they can't be that foolish so as to believe a 170 is a security risk! (Bureaucrats the world over can be uniformly idiotic, however.)
The 170 is a great airplane, but it does require it's pilot to take an interest in pre-flight planning with regard to performance. With 4 people and full fuel, think of it as a heavily laden 727-200 on a warm day...a nice reliable comfortable airplane that handles well but needs a little room to get it all up in the air.
flyer170

Nate Saint

Post by flyer170 »

Kelly.....Last week Steven Saint son of Nate Saint was in my hangar in New Richmond Wi. He purchased a PA14 from a fellow in Atkin MN. it was ferried down to here and my neighbor did the check flight. Steve Saint flew up from Florida to fly it back along with his nephew..
He is going to make a movie about his dad and needed the same make and model that his dad was flying when he was killed.
The mechanic who works on my 170 spent many years as a missionary pilot and mechanic. He helped find the remains of Nate Saint's airplane a few years ago although there wasn't much left.
Steve gave me an autographed book about missionary stuff.
The PA14 had an old Narco radio and a Loran that didn't work :(
We told him to follow the Mississippi to the ocean, turn left and follow the coast to Florida :D
Bob
Gooney

Thanks for the welocme back on the 9th!

Post by Gooney »

Hi Bob

Thanks so much for the e-mail, I was wondering where Wi is situated in the States? I can’t wait for retirement to fly ever other day you must be loving it? You have to head for sunny skies in the winter come to South Africa you will love it, those snow flurries just won’t do! It must be the ultimate to have a runway almost in your backyard that is fantastic!

I am in the same boat when the depth of my pocket, I am saving ever last dime for my babe plus all my savings. There was a lovely C170B advertised by John Corbett on the trader page, have a look at her, she is a real beauty, it has all the hooters and whistles, it would look even better with Amelia on the side of her.

My ultimate would be to buy a written off C170 and refurbish her back to full health, that would give me a great sense of satisfaction, but that will have to wait till my son is a teenager (8 more years) and I will get him involved. But for the moment I just cannot wait to get up and go flying so that will be my next project. Getting the kids interested is vitally important this ensures that our C170’s will keep on flying and the knowledge base must grow, the C170 is in there hands, let not one C170 stand in a barn to become a nest for some bird.

I feel we should be handing aircraft over from father to child, I know that if Adam or Bergen don’t want to fly one day, there is no way I will sell it, it will be donated to the MAF and in that way she will be used the way she was intended to be used looked after with love and respect. Nothing makes me more upset than going to an airfield as I do in central Africa to see aeroplanes stand rotting away, the owners should be brought to justice in The Hague for atrocities against aeroplanes. Sorry starting to get a little too emotional let’s get back to reality!

Thanks for the input about the C170A, I appreciate getting the practical feedback, performance wise. I will be hangaring Amelia in Johannesburg which is at 5000ft and very dry and flying her to my home town of Plettenberg Bay, which will take about 5 hours over some beautiful country side, into the heart of the Garden Route (SA most beautiful coastline) I really do not want to hangar her at the coast as I am afraid of corrosion; correct me if I am wrong!

I see that you have had 82 entries on the site, well done keep them coming, I will draw on your resources as I progress, thanks once again for your advice. Hope spring comes quickly.
Ciao Ian

PS I have to get to bed, off to Bangkok for 3 days, thanks for the e-mail Eric I will get back to you with the info about that aircraft, chat again on the 9th.
Emirates
FC 309
P.O. Box 92
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
+ 971-27 (0)82 360 7062
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Hey Bob,

That's cool about Steve being in the hangar. We had a lot of fun with the Bucket drop reinactment. We did it in front of the MAF president along with about 300 guests and dropped it within 15' of our recipient. Steve knew we were doing it. I'd like to one day demo this to a 170 gathering.

Kelly
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

I guess I'm not the only one who gets upset at neglected airplanes. I know I should feel bad about people who are hurt or killed in aircraft accidents, and many times I do, but I always feel bad for the loss of another airplane in our dwindling fleet, especially if it is lost due to some stupid action (stupid people shouldn't be allowed to own and fly airplanes, although I know some who do).
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Hi Kelly,
As a matter of interest, one of my best pilots when I was in Jamaica, and a great person was Johnny Keenan who came up from MAF in Ecuador around 1965. He flew with Nate Saint; I believe his base was an airfield called Shell Mera.
I was operating 180's at the time- Johnny stayed for many years and flew Islanders, Trislanders, 337's 206's etc. I lost contact with him about 1980 when I sold the company-
Rudy
zero.one.victor

For those who are in the dark here,Nate Saint was the missionary who dropped gifts to a tribe of natives in Ecuador,using a bucket on a rope dangled from a PA-12 doing turns around a clearing. After he figured he had them won over,he landed & got killed for his trouble.
I remember reading about this several years ago. General Aviation News just had a short column recapping the story an issue or two ago,as a sidebar to a story about the MAF organization. Supposedly some of his killers repented & became Christians,along with others in the tribe.
The story said his airplane was recovered from the jungle after 38 years,refurbished and reassembled,and is on display at MAF headquarters in Redlands California.

Eric
zero.one.victor

The G.A.News article said "for more information, MAF.org or 800-FLYS-MAF
By the way,there's a pretty good article on the skywagon.org site written by a guy named Bill White,about how MAF teaches their pilots wheel landings.Good reading,even if you don't agree with some of their (his) ideas.

Eric
Gooney

From Bangkok

Post by Gooney »

HI Folks

I couldn't wait to get up this morning in Bangkok and get into the site, it is very warming to see all the positive responces on the page. I can't wait to get into that missionary book that you suggested, I will try and locate it on Amozon, thanks for that and I will get back about MAF in Oz.

I am reading a must buy book, "Purchasing and Evaluating" aircraft by Brian Jacobson at the moment and can't put it down, it has given me a totally new pespective about buying aircraft, I would highly recommend it to all novice buyers. You have to know what you are up against, thanks goodness we have a great organisation like ours so we will be able to get extra vital info when it comes to an aircafts history. One previous seller of a ground looped C170 who will remain unnamed was honest enough to give me the full run down of an aircaft that he previously sold and how it was repaired?????? and sold at a over inflated price. Thanks a lot......... be careful buyers there are dishonest folks out there get a proper evaluation and pre inspection done it will cost but perhaps save you lots of money and perhaps your life!

Brian's book covers all the in's and out of this! If we sell our precious C170 to insurance concerns who's only interest is to get it fly at the cheapest cost and sell it to some, poor first time buyer who knows no better, we have done ourselves a disfavour for obvious reasons. It is such a shame that the aircarft get into the hands of people who's only concern is to make money. These are aeoplanes not cars when the prop stops someones family might be in it, so think of the consequences before you service/repair an aircraft or before you rush in and buy an aircaft talk to the assosiation members and find out about costs, it is not cheap believe you me so budget mainenance and sundry costs,as appossed to purchasing and going the cheap route with maintenance!
Lets keep our birds flying for years to come, don't let the insurance companies have them, be responsable as your action could later become accountable!
Okay, I better dismount off my soap box before I upset someone after all, you have kindly taken me under your wing and I am yet to go solo, so forgive me if I have offended anyone!

God Bless, will be back in Dubai on the 9th, look forward to catching up, thanks once again for the warm welcome and help.

Ciao

Ian

PS Those not joined up do so, you will love the freindship!
Emirates
FC 309
P.O. Box 92
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
+ 971-27 (0)82 360 7062
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Eric recommended the article on wheel landings by Bill White- the link is
http://www.skywagon.org/content/kbase/m ... messet.htm
It' an excellent essay- very relevant to our airplanes.
I too make wheel landings 98% of the time- and did when I was flying 180's for a living.
Rudy
Rudy
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

THAT is a REALLY GOOD article! Thanks.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX