New member joining 01 January 2003 from Dubai U.A.E.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

An excellent article. It's neat to have explained so very well what I do because I can't explain it as well, I just do it. This is THE way to wheel land.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

That wheel landing article has been revised since it's original posting. This was added,down toward the bottom:
"When the aircraft is on short final and about 20' agl,you should apply slight back pressure on the yoke (don't touch the power),but only for 3 to 4 seconds and then released back to neutral until wheel contact.This will slow the descent down to around 200 fpm until contact."
Before this was added,the article seemed to advocate LITERALLY flying the airplane down to (or into!) the ground! I have a little trouble most of the time even with this modified method,I generally flare slightly into a tail-low attitude and sorta feel for the runway. To give the writer and MAF credit,though,when I do a wheel landing exactly as described it works well,I just have to time your relaxing of back pressure and/or brake application to sorta pin in on the runway or I get a bad bounce.
I think this method works better the heavier the airplane is,I've seen Beech 18's come in and never seem to level off,flare or anything else,just "chirp" the mains down & roll out.
I have almost 800 hours in this 170 and well over a thousand landings,yet they're always a challenge to do well. I love it!

Eric
Gooney

Wheeler landings

Post by Gooney »

Thanks Eric/Rudy

Great article and good site keep them coming, chat soon.

Ciao

Ian
Gooney

Great feedback

Post by Gooney »

HI Rudy/Eric

Thanks for that site, good info. Will chat when back in Dubai.

Regards

Ian
Emirates
FC 309
P.O. Box 92
Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Tel/Fax: + 971-4-3940970
Ian's Mobiles: + 971-(0)50 6519973
Linda's Mobile: + 971-(0)50 456 5938
Ian's Mobile in S Africa:
+ 971-27 (0)82 360 7062
Gooney

Hi George

Post by Gooney »

HI George

Thanks for the feedback regarding the technical side, I have read most of your posts and have highlighted copied and cut all the Hot Gen info off the site and I am slowly getting through it. Thanks a lot of all your input, I am soaking it up like a sponge, keep the good stuff coming!

It seems to be standard what folks say about flying the C170; you will need at least a 30 minute sortie a month, which should be no problem for me as I have a mate who will fly it for me.. I sit with the dilemma that I feel rather bad that I will only be able to put 60 hours a year on the clock, but the pilots are righting these C170 off fast and I have to get in early before they are on the endanger list, then we will have to start cloning and that just isn’t the same! So at least with over 3000 hours taildragger I think that she will be in good hands, I just have to get my round out sorted out as the B777 starts it’s flare in the ionosphere, I am sure she will, excuse the pun “bring me down to earth”

A good topic will be that of servicing at engine overhaul time, perhaps a little controversial. But I would love to get input from all side with regards to what needs to be done, when your engines comes up to a major overhaul, i.e. Top up (done by field engineer)as apposed to major overhaul(factory overhaul)

I have just finished reading Brian Jacobson’s book on Purchasing and evaluating aeroplanes bjacobson@aeroappraisers.com it is a must for first time buyers (I have checked, he says it is fine to give his e-mail address over the net) He states (I must beware of misquoting someone, so this is second hand folks!) “A top overhaul on a high time engine is usually a waste of money” If you rebuild the cylinder as apposed to tearing down the engine and doing a complete job, it is short sighted from the point of view that the cylinder will not last till it next major overhaul. You have to look at the bottom end of your engine, to see what is going on, to make an accurate evaluation. Check out the Cessna association TECH note: 7 About looking after your continental engine, make for good reading.

If you would like Brian’s e mail, just send me off an e-mail and I will have it posted. I must say, I look at it this way, if a TBO has been extended with a top up (just cylinders been repaired) that aircraft will not be on the top of my list, I would rather buy one that is at it’s TBO and have the major overhaul done myself, in that way I know what I have. As apposed to someone trying to do a field top up to get 300-500 hours more out of the engine in order to sell. What are your thoughts folks. George if you want to post this on the Hangar site as a separate topic, be my guest.

Thanks for all your input I see that you are the undisputed champ of entries on nthis site, well done.

Regards

Ian
Gooney

Hi Eric

Post by Gooney »

Hi Eric

With regards to the aircraft manufacture in SA, the one that you are referring to is a Bosbok site with all details at: http://www.aeropages.co.za/WarbirdBosbok.html I flew many an hour on it, in my initial military (operationally)days, before going to jets.

They used to call it the converter, it converted fuel into noise, believe you me when I say it was noisy, it had a super charger on it and we didn’t get much over 130 kts, one I don’t miss!

Had a look on the Missionary site, it is great, will be getting my newsletter sortly.

I have recently read an article about doing wheelers on the C180 and wanted to know if the same applies to us? (check Erics site connection above) Apparently the MAF (Boff’s) do wheelers most of the time because less stress on the tail section and more controllability, this sounds, sound to me, what I can’t get my head around is applying brakes when the tail is still up? Give us your thoughts, especially you folks that had accidents by doing this.

Thanks for your help, over the last few weeks.

Regards

Ian
Gooney

Hi Kelly

Post by Gooney »

Hi Kelly

Thanks a lot for the e-mail; I will be getting that Jungle Pilot book as soon as I have sent this e-mail to you. Please let me have some more info on the 10 seater that you are building I would love to read up more about it, well done you are paving THE WAY!

I have just registered with MAF and will be getting their newsletters from now on, much appreciated. Like me your e-mail address does not show on the site (bottom of page) get hold of Velvet as I will and try to contact each other privately on our home e-mails?

I would love to see footage of the bucket drop, now there is a bit of calling back the past.

Many thanks.

Best Regards

Ian
Gooney

c170 MEMBERS IN SOUTH AFRICA

Post by Gooney »

Hi Eric

I tried to e-mail the guys in South Africa, but the e-mails came back as incorrect addresses. I have looked under the memberlist but don't know how to access the guys e-mail addresses any chance of trying to find them again, please.

Thanks a lot.

Reagrds

ian
Gooney

Hi Kelly

Post by Gooney »

Hi Kelly

I think that I have located the book the jungle pilot, could you please confirm the author's name please?

Regards

Ian
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

Ian,
I read Brian Jacobson's book prior to buying my 170 and I e-mailed him a couple times with questions--responded quickly and accurately. From my limited exposure to 170 ownership and having read the book, I think when Brian discusses top overhauls what he is trying to do is create caution on adding any value when looking at an airplane. From the owner's perspective (and I think especially for C-145/300s) an owner doing a top overhaul is fairly common (whether all at once or incrementally). I get the impression our cylinders typically don't make TBO, however the lower end usually is in great shape at TBO. I would be curious to hear others' viewpoints.
My 2 cents: don't add any value to a top overhaul--just part of the maintenance.
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ian, if you will "click" on PM at the bottom of someone's post, you can send them a private message via this forum (similar to an email). That way your message will be private betwixt you guys, should that be your intent.
Everyone,...if you don't have your email address registered in your Profile, then the email feature won't work. Please consider updating your Profile, and include the other info such as where you are located, etc. It helps build the relationships and friendships we have here. :)
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Ian,

The book was written by Russell T. Hitt and had the epologue written by Nate's son Stephen Saint. It is something that almost everyone would enjoy. The stories of how he would strip the airplane down and load it with ballast similar to his proposed load, then practice at his home field before going into the bush.

Very similar to all you Texans. Can you got to Reklaw in your 170 with 4 soles on Board? Nah!

It is neat to explore the abilities of the airplane as long as you don't risk it or yourselves.

Kelly