Hangars

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Joe hasn't posted in 6 weeks nor returned my email.
Reckon everythings OK?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

He's probably OK, just being his usual S - L - O - W self. :lol:
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Well I just let a friend in on something that blew his mind. The guy is not a pilot and not in the know with the airplane world. He bought a Champ maybe 8 yrs ago for $6,500 to help another friend out. Then he did some dozer work for someone and they reskinned and painted the entire plane. He has $6,500 into his Hanger as well, because his Dad wanted to buy it from a friend and didn't have the money. He starts the engine 3 or 4 times a year, otherwise he never goes to the Airport. He figured the plane was worth $12,000. Two yrs ago he was going to sell the Hanger to me. He felt guilty cause I offered him up to $15,000. His Dad begged him to keep it for now and parks a couple of cars in there and just loves the idea of being able to say the family has a plane. Well, since I've moved to Arkansas and he's going to keep it for his Dad , I just told him that the Hanger beside his sold for $40,000, 5 yrs ago! 8O
dkalwishky

Post by dkalwishky »

People that keep a plane just to say they have one and then not to fly it just irk me beyond beleif!

We have a small flying club in my community, there are 40 members on a private strip. There are 40 hangars, new people get voted into the club as older members get out. There are probably 15 members that never fly and don't have a medical. These are the people that need to sell and get out. Heck, one guy had a real pretty Aeronca Chief that he landed on a highway (ran out of gas 10 miles from the field) and did some minor damage to the plane. He left the wrecked plane in the hangar for 7 years before he finally decided to sell.. During that time no one saw him at the field and he never attened a monthly meeting. He did send in his monthly dues of $20. There is a clause in the club rule to vote out people like this but it is never enforced, probably because they don't want this action taken against them when they get into the same position...

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now :lol:
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

How quickly things change! A couple of months ago I was frantic for a hangar...anywhere...at a reasonable price. While on a trip a couple of weeks ago, my first officer mentioned something about a planned airpark in the county to the north of me. I checked the website and walllaaa...there it is...just miles away a nice residential flying community under development with a 3000'x100' grass strip. Took my wife to see it and we just placed a lot under contract! I will have my own hangar at reasonable cost next to my house and my wife is thrilled at being able to build a home to our specification. What a thrill it is going to be to get home after work, park the car, pet the dogs and then walk over to the hangar and go fly for an hour before dinner :D Yep David, you guessed my marital status...now I won't have to go live in the hangar! I'm still laughing at the guy in Leesburg who wanted to sell me his hangar for $99,000. Geeesh...what planet are these folks from anyway?
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

It's all about supply and demand. I own my (condo) hangar at a county airport,it's on leased airport property. Ownership of hangar reverts to the airport after 50 years. It sold new in late 1995 for about $22K. I bought it in 1998 for $28K. Going price these days is about $30K.
Some developers are currently finishing up three new box hangars. Sale price for those was about $31 or 32 per square foot. One is for sale now for about $90K,it's 57' by 50. For about the same amount,I think I could have a similar-sized hangar built ( including a small apartment inside) at a nearby airpark,but not including the price of the lot. I'd rather go that way.
I'm curious as to the size of the $99K hangar. A retired airline guy commissioned one of the new box hangars at my airport,it's 60' by 70' and as near as I can figure it must have set him back about $120K. He lives in a new house he had built a couple years ago about half a mile from the airport. For what he's got in the house and the hangar,he could have bought one heck of an airpark home set-up. But he likes what he's got.

Eric
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I don't even remember the size of the hangar, Eric. When I heard $99,000 I just stopped listening and started laughing. I had to play the message several times for my wife so we could both be sure he was saying $99,000 for a tin building in which to put an airplane. If some folks want to pay such prices for hangars and other airplane related stuff, I suppose that is fine, but it makes it harder for the rest of us who value our hard-earned dollars a bit more. I've always maintained that if more of us start laughing and walking away when a merchant charges an unreasonalbe amount of money, the end result will be a lowering of prices if the realestate agents/airport managers are interested in staying in business. But then I guess there will always be those types that see nothing wrong with paying $1500/mo for a closet sized "apartment" in NYC. And those types are unfortunately keeping the cost of aviation unnecessarily high....those types and the lawyers. OK,OK I'm stepping down off my soapbox now.... :lol:
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I don't know,John,if that hangar was a one-airplane model that is a ludicrous price. But if it is a 60 by 70 box,on a busy public airport,that would be a pretty good price. It's all relative.

Eric