Little Brisk

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

W.J.Langholz

Little Brisk

Post by W.J.Langholz »

They have that "S" word in the forcast for the hills and ol Jack Frost made a visit last night :( but.....the o-300 sure likes the cooler air :D :D should get back up to that 103-105kts and mine is not red or green and it's blue and has alot of drag up frount :lol: :lol: :lol:

W.
ImageMay there always be and Angel flying with you.
Loyalty above all else except honor.
1942 Stearman 450
1946 Super Champ 7AC
flat country pilot

Re: Little Brisk

Post by flat country pilot »

ol Jack Frost made a visit last night
Yes, but no bugs :D

I'm not going to try, but I wonder how short this 170B could take off in these 40+mph winds?
5, 10, 20, 50 feet?

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
Robert Eilers

Post by Robert Eilers »

I love the C170B, but I don't believe I have flown any model single engine fixed pitch aircraft more sensitive to OAT and weight than the C170 equipped with the C145/O-300 and the standard 7653 prop. When my aircraft is light and/or it is cold outside the airplane is a pleasure to fly and I don't worry too much about takeoff roll and rate of climb. However, when the OAT is 80F or above and the airplane is heavy and I am taking off from a high and short runway with obstacles, I get out the performance charts and seriously consider my takeoff roll, climb performance and obstacle avoidance departure path.
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

Robert Eilers wrote:...However, when the OAT is 80F or above and the airplane is heavy and I am taking off from a high and short runway with obstacles, I get out the performance charts and seriously consider my takeoff roll, climb performance and obstacle avoidance departure path.
This is where a STOL modification really shines. I've owned two 145HP '55 170Bs, the first one unmodified, and my present one with the Horton STOL kit. The climbout angle with the STOL wing is markedly improved over stock. I often fly as a flight of two with a friend in his stock '53 170B, and he has remarked several times that he can't keep up with me on the climb. He's a tiny bit faster in the cruise, and I don't know if that's because of his wheel pants (vs. my naked 8.00x6s), or the polished exterior, or the red trim vs. my maroon and white. :D :D :D
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift