Bungee Length

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Mark Harwood

Bungee Length

Post by Mark Harwood »

I have Federal 2500 straight skis with fittings at top of gear leg. I spoke with Troy at Aero ski and he recommended "crust cutter cables" which make a lot of senses. I was wondering if any members had this set up and what length the crust cutter is and what lenght I would need Aero ski to make a new set of bungee's. Thanks Mark
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
ginbug92b

Re: Bungee Length

Post by ginbug92b »

Mark, the crust cutters I've seen are no more than 1 foot long, Aero can figure out the bungee from there.
Mark 55B N4492B 53PA-18 N3357A
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

Troy doesn't know the length of bungees for 170 with federal 2500 with fittings at top of gear leg. If we knew the length of bungees without crust cutters we could just subtract a foot off bungees for crust cutter. When I bought the skis last year the gentlemen thought they had last been on a stinson. I had them all on and ready to go at end of Feb but never flew with skis due to poor ice conditions. After talking to Troy he thought I would want around 60 pounds on bungee.I did not know enough last year to measure this when the skis were on but I think there was not nearly enough upward force on the ski just from having pushed on them when the plane was jacked up and skis were on.I do not have the skis on and will be having them put on at a shop when some other work is being done to the plane. I was hoping to have Troy make up some bungee's so I would have them when I take the plane to the shop. I could have them made a foot or so shorter than the ones I have that presumably were were used on a stinson. We could then Adjust the crust cutter length to get the right upward force on the ski. I was hoping someone in the TIC170A would have a similar set up as mine and maybe know the bungee length either with or without crust cutter. Thanks Mark
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY
flat country pilot

Post by flat country pilot »

Mark,

Ask Troy for a copy of his installation instructions. Put your skis on following his instructions. With your plane held up in its level flight position, as per AEROs instructions. Measure the lengths for your ski rigging. With your actual measurements from your plane, Troy should be able to build bungees for you.

You could ask him to send you the bungees with one end unfinished and do it yourself. But, his finished ends on the rigging is real pretty, perfect, I wouldn't want to try and copy his work with just one try.

Bill
Flat Country Pilot
Farm Field PVT
54 C170B
Jimmy M.

Post by Jimmy M. »

If you have a look at AC43-13-2b........chapter 5.......
you'll get an idea how to proceed.
I just rigged mine to those specs and they came out fine.
My numbers won't help you tho.......different skis, different attach points
good luck....
Jim Martin
'46 Aeronca Chief, 160 hp ( homebuilt )
'56 170 square tail, 180 hp. :)
Mark Harwood

Post by Mark Harwood »

The plane is going to a shop soon to have misc. things done and I was going to let them put the skis on and put the plastic on bottoms. They will do weight and balance as well. If Someone had an exact measurement from the same set up, I would have Aeroski make up the bungees so I would have them to take to the shop when I go. After talking to Troy at Aeroski we decided I should let the shop put the skis on and take a dimension from front attach on ski to the bracket. Troy can then do the math ,make the bungees and priority them to the shop. I did pickup a 43.13 and learned a lot and would do it myself if I had more time, days were longer or had a warm lighted shop. I got this urge to put the plane on skis about a year ago and have learned a ton and done some things to the plane that really needed to be done such as pponk and solid axles. I had a few slow weeks last winter and did those items myself. Froze my butt off in The uninsulated Flying club hanger but really got to know the plane and spend some quality time with her .:lol: I am going to let the shop finish up some loose ends because I really want this thing ready in Jan. when the Ice comes. Thanks for the input! Mark
'49 A N9183A
Cossayuna Lake NY