no new posts?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

no new posts?

Post by zero.one.victor »

Only like 2 new posts yesterday,and none today. What's up? Has someone been hackin' & whackin' our site again,or what?
Without any fresh posts to occupy me,I might have to actually go out & fly my airplane!

Eric
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

It IS awfully quiet..... all the normal chatter has been replaced by the sounds of crickets.......
Doug
zero.one.victor

Kinda spooky....................
JDH

Post by JDH »

Crickets? At this time of year in MA?? All I get here is the slither of snow snakes... Its been very cold and very windy. I was up with my honey on Saturday; we went up the river about 1/2 hour to a reastaurant.
We had 3 other airplanes and 2 ultralights that had promised to come along. Only one other brave soul or is that fool, showed up in a 185 with hyd. skis. He landed using wheels, naturally. With the wind we've had in the past couple of weeks, if it ain't nailed down, its gone or its ice... Fun time was had by all until we started home. The weather guy didn't lie: High winds and gusts up to 30 Kts after 2:00 pm local. This restaurant is situated on the edge of the Lake of two Mountains, right where it changes names as it starts around the Island of Montreal, on the North West side. Mountains on both shores, you're getting the picture, I am sure... All I can say is thank god for seat belts. if not for the lap belts, I would have ended up with a couple of sunroof holes and if not for my cargo net/tie-down my winter survival & camping gear would have ended up on our laps...
No we can't make a quick stop on the lake where Billy is trying to flag us down for a visit; I'm not having fun, lets go home!! Yes dear...
Brought good old Sally in on 28 with a strong X-wind, one notch of flaps and 75 MPH, expecting the shear at the cliff's edge. Once past the threshold, put down a second notch, pick up the nose, slow to 65, 60, 55 and we're down, smooth as the teflon bottoms of the Federal 3500's and heading for the hangar.
Little stroke on the "dash" and a "good girl" from the both of us...
And that's about how it went. JD
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

doug8082a wrote:It IS awfully quiet..... all the normal chatter has been replaced by the sounds of crickets.......
Been out flying!

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Well I'm glad SOMEBODY has been out flyin'. It's been cold and windy for weeks and snowing few times as well. Too dang cold to go shovel myself out.
Doug
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

We've had an (uncharacteristic) big, fat ridge parked over the
Pacific Northwest for the last week or so. Pea soup in the mornings,
but decent/stable air/visibliity for afternoon/evening flying. Believe me when I say this is out of the ordinary for this time of year (decent flying
weather for a good solid week at a time), and there will no doubt be weeks upon weeks of non-flyable weather ahead before we finally can say "spring/summer has arrived" up here in the Seattle area....

If that doesn't give you a warm & fuzzy, I'm genuinely sorry you haven't been able to fly lately!

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Bela,you probably have to work,but if you can play hookey,I'm planning on flying to Concrete Friday for lunch. We walk down about a 1/4 mile to a really good hamburger joint down on state route 20 (North Cascade Highway). I'll be wheels up from Jefferson County a little before noon,then a quick stop at Oak Harbor to meet up with a buddy and it's off to the canyons.
Going anywhere fun this weekend? Looks like they're forecasting a downturn in the wx but who knows.......

Eric
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I thought the "No Posts" were because everyone is having the same trouble I am. When I log in, it takes 2 logs, then none of the posts show any activity by coloring the bells. I can't tell any recent posts without looking for the dates and times of last posts.
John-n3833v
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I'm still having that problem too... I just try to wade through the posts anyway. It's awfully frustrating, though......
Doug
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

zero.one.victor wrote:Bela,you probably have to work,but if you can play hookey,I'm planning on flying to Concrete Friday for lunch. We walk down about a 1/4 mile to a really good hamburger joint down on state route 20 (North Cascade Highway). I'll be wheels up from Jefferson County a little before noon,then a quick stop at Oak Harbor to meet up with a buddy and it's off to the canyons.
Going anywhere fun this weekend? Looks like they're forecasting a downturn in the wx but who knows.......

Eric
Sounds like fun Eric, but you're right.... (I have to work).

When do the once a month Saturday get-togethers start again?
(i.e., lunch at some airport around here in the Puget Sound area).

Since I'm typing, I just received a new tailspring assy. from
Aircraft Spruce (some might remember me bashing them in a
post or two awhile back). Well.... I ordered two seat rail "safety
stops" to replace a pair I borrowed from a friend, and a new tailspring
assy. (all 5 springs). A box big enough to hold all the items showed
up, but no tailspring was inside. After swapping a few e-mails, another tailspring was sent and this one finally showed up. At least they came through, but another poster was right.... It still has the Univair tag/part number on it!

So, I took my new tailspring out to the tail of my airplane to compare old vs new. The old only has (4) leafs (it's missing the short/5th spring located on the top of the stack). I can only wonder why the previous owner(s) made do without this spring (?). The upper U-bolt looks like the legs are long enough so it will accomodate all 5 springs.... I'm going to paint the new tailspring assy. to match the rest of the tailwheel assy. and mount it all up this weekend.

I've been having slight tailwheel shimmy problems (usually with
full fuel and at least two "bruise brothers" on board) so I'll report
back if this solves the shimmy problem. It does appear that my
old spring assy. had lost some of it's arch.... (not to mention the
fact that there's only 4 leafs there instead of 5).

Is there a logical reason why someone would omit the 5th (short)
upper leaf?

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
zero.one.victor

Bela,our Assn state rep John Rivas (who flies outa Harvey) scheduled the first one last year in Feb,but it was really blustery that day & no one showed. Same thing in March. Finally a good day & a decent turn-out in April.
If you want tom schedule something,have Velvet put it in the Flypaper. Or post it here. Then see what happens. i'm usually up for a flying get-together.
No fly-ins coming up til april,that's when the Skagit fly-in usually is. the Concrete in May.
I usually see quite a few people I know every year at the NW Aviation Fair at Puyallup fairgrounds,that's coming up in about a week--Feb 22 & 23. In fact,it was the fair weekend 2 years ago at Thun that I saw the infamous Gnarly Dude for the first time. I didn't know Jeff was flying it,but the airplane itself made an indelible impression on me!
Maybe a bunch of us 170'ers should meet up at Thun Field that Saturday?

Eric
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Oh, I didn't know the monthly get-togethers were informal.
Of course, during the winter, it can be a crap-shoot
weather-wise.

Looks like the weather for tomorrow (Saturday) is iffy too.
That's OK.... Skagit (and Concrete, etc.) will be here before
ya know it!

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
JDH

Post by JDH »

Bela, Cessna 170 B parts catalogue will show on pages 53 and 54 that there are only 4 leafs for the B model. I first installed all 5 when I first bought the plane. Tight, but went on. Then, I studied the drawings after some discussions on the subject on the old site and it turns out there are only to be 4 for the B model. I called Univair and they told me 5 on the straight 170 and 4 on the B. Spruce and Univair only stock the kit that contains 5; turns out cheaper than shelving 2 different part numbers. JD
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

Aha, that explains it. Thanks JD. I printed out the page in
question in the illustrated parts manual for reference.

Thanks!

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP