compass placement

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

NOW I know why my compass has apparently never been swung...or if it was it had 20 degree errors at some points around the rose. I suppose I could put wheels on a sawhorse and spend a day....but wait....perhaps I can tie the sawhorse to the plane and just taxi around with the tail on the wheeled sawhorse and get the job over with as fast as a nose dragger? Before I do this though, I'm setting up a video camera to capture the kodak moments!
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

How about securing the tail in the back of a pickup? You could drive the truck around and pull in on the line and get real close. I have moved plenty of airplanes with the tail in a truck. I also appreciate George mentioning the controls need to be in the normal flying position. That yoke is a big piece of steel and I would think that being missed would cause bigger errors than anything els we mentioned. That's the first time I heard of it, but I'll sure use it.

Kelly
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Has anyone ever done their compass corrections in flight,in no-wind conditions,flying known headings such as section fence-lines? Seems like I've heard of this,the compass adjustments and correction card would be right for in-flight conditions--engine running,tail up,etc. Of course,you'd need two people to do it safely.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

The instructions that came with the vertical card compass in my airplane cover how to swing a compass and also how to do it in the air. You need one of those low stratus dead calm Puget Sound days. :)
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave Clark wrote:George
Any tips on how to support the tail in a way that you don't have to jack it up at each heading change? It usually takes me at least twice around the rose to get it swung so that's about eight jackings.
First, it's important you wait for a sunny, warm day.
Next, find three 18-20 year old college girls in good trim. They should wear non-magnetic (sheer is good) bikinis. Rub them thoroughly with coconut oil so that they glisten.
Ask them to stand ahead of the airplane on the cardinal points of the compass. Take your time. Do not rush this important work.
Have a local fool, wearing really garrish clothing, lift the airplane onto a saw-horse as the airplane is pointed about the various compass points. Take your time, and be especially commanding in your demeanor. Swagger occassionally. (A large moustache, and a silk scarf/leather jacket, jodjurs, spurs, and riding crop are very effective in impressing the assistants in performing a proper calibration. Especially the riding crop. Snap it, occasionally, vigorously against your boots. Sneer a little. Keeping a bottle of schnapps visible from your jacket pocket is also a good technique for obtaining the desireable results.
Eeef you haf any difficulty....you must call me IMMEDIATELY! Javol?
flyguy

THIS HAS GOT WAY OUT A HAND

Post by flyguy »

HORN, YA BIN TOO LONG DOWN IN THE BOONIES! COCONUT OIL DOANT GLISSEN IT SMELLS. MARVEL MYSTERIE OIL IS THE BEST FER RUBBIN STUFF WITH. VASLEEN IS GOOD TO. ITSA WHAT THU HOTEL GUYS DOWN IN NAWLINS USED TO GREES UP THEM LONG POLES TO KEEP BUGGERS FRUM CLIMIN UP TO GIT ON THE BALCONY WHER THEM GURLS IN BIKINIES WUZ. :mrgreen:

NEX THANG, GEORGEY BOY, IFN YOU MIXUP PEPPERMINT WITH COCONUT OIL YOU'LL GIT SIKERN A PUP THAT ATE SPOILT SHOOPICKS. ITS 'BEER' 'BEER' 'BEER' 'ABITA SPRINGS BEER' "YEAAAH------"

I HEERD CLOTHES DOANT MAKE A MAN BUT TRY TO RUN THROUGH THE THICKET WITHOUT ANY ON AN YOULL WISH YOU HAD SUM TIN BRITCHES. THEY DOANT HAVE JOD PURS HEAR IN THU SOUTH SO I GUESS ILL JES USE THEM GURLS TO HOLD UP MAH TAIL WHILE I SWAGGER ON OVER TO THE IGLOO AN GIT OUT THE 'AB-SP' BEER. AN I'LL TRY TO SNEER WITH SOME AUTHORITY TOO!

BY THU WAY WHATS A COMP-ASS? I NO ABOUT SUM OTHER FORMS OF ----ASSES BUT DINT NO ABOUT COMP ---- :twisted:
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

:roll:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

When I started reading about greased-up bikini girls I figured it would have something to do with the inflight (compass) swinging. When I saw the post involved having them outside the airplane with the pilot inside,I lost interest. George,you took a wrong turn somewhere between the light bulb and the drawing board.

Eric