Tailwheel Leaf Springs

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

43a72v

Tailwheel Leaf Springs

Post by 43a72v »

The bottom leaf spring on my 170A is in need of replacement. A price check for the 0542106 leaf through Cessna revealed a list price of $1,958.00!! 8O My curiosity is piqued by Aircraft Spruce advertising what appears to be the same leaf for $66 and change. I was wondering if anyone has had experience w/ the Spruce (or otherwise non-Cessna) leafs. Thanks!
Josh
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I replaced my main spring a couple years ago with non-cessna spring. I think it came from Spruce. I first order one from the L-19 people in Mississippi, but it was a little different and I sent it back. I did not replace all the leaf springs, but now looking back, I should have. I will replace all at next annual. It is cheap insurance! Seeing as how I just reskinned the low rudder skins due to a small crack running out from a rivet.
If you do it you should consider replacing all springs while your at it.
43a72v

Leaf Springs

Post by 43a72v »

Spruce advertises the main spring or all 5 springs. The Model 170 uses 5 springs, but the A & B models only use 4 of those 5. I'm guessing the unused leaf could be removed? I was leaning towards replacing all of them, but I wonder how much of a chore it would be to remove the unused leaf. :?:
Josh
N170BP

Post by N170BP »

The spring set you get from Aircraft Spruce is just 5 loose springs
taped together.

I didn't know any better, so I bought the whole set (all 5 springs).
Other folks on this list have since informed me that the B model
takes only 4 springs, but I think it's cheaper to buy the 5 spring set
and throw the short 5th one away than to buy them individually.

If you buy the leaf spring kit from Aircraft Spruce, it will still
have the Univair PMA stickers on it....

Bela P. Havasreti
'54 C-170B N170BP
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Wow! It's amazing what they'll charge for an original part. :roll: The tailspring sold by Univair and A/C Spruce (Univair part) is FAA-PMA'd and is a common replacement for the tailspring. Save yourself the $1890-odd and by the Univair part. Mine's been fine since I replaced it.
Doug
ak2711c

Post by ak2711c »

Spruce gets the springs from Univair and Univair has two different part numbers, one for the 4 leaf and one for the 5 leaf. The 4 leaf is I think $116.00. Spruce carries the 4 leaf also but does not list it in there catalog, you have to specificly ask for it by Univair P/N U170ab. They were all out when I called so I called Univair and they said I got there last one. That was about a week ago though so they may have some more in by now. Sorry guys. :oops:
Shawn
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

Spruce has the main leaf for the 170B in stock now. I just ordered mine today for $66 if I remember correctly.
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When I bought my tail wheel spring set from Univair it contained five leaves and directed discard of the smallest leaf the four leaf applications as required.
BL
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

When I bought my tail wheel spring set from Univair it contained five leaves and directed discard of the smallest leaf on four leaf applications as required.
BL