solid axles

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

rudymantel

solid axles

Post by rudymantel »

Does anyone here have any experience with solid axles ?
Are the later model hollow axles breaking off ? Why would a normally operated 170 need solid axles ?
Solid aluminum axles (used) sell for $175 each. I'd be willing to buy them if there was a reason.
Rudy
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

HI Rudy, from what I understand the hollow axles will develop cracks, even in normal use, from fatigue and corroision. The guy who owned my airplane before took the hollow axles to US Air's mx shop and had them x-rayed. BOTH of them were badly cracked - one almost completely around.
He replaced them with a set of solid aluminum axles, thank goodness.

Another one of our pilots had some excitement and major fun with the FAA when a hollow axle broke on his 1948 170. I'll search the NTSB database for more axle mayhem.

If it was my airplane, I would absolutely get the solid aluminum axles! The solid steel ones are major overkill, at least for the way you and I operate our airplanes, right Rudy? See you, Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I believe there were 2 types of hollow axles,aluminum & steel (aluminum=bad,steel = good), as well as solid aluminum axles (good).
Are the solid steel axles now available a Cessna part,or aftermarket? I think maybe they're intended for ski use,I guess that's pretty tough on the axles. I remember hearing that the gear-leg failures that almost resulted in an AD (for ALL Cessna taildraggers) all involved gear-legs with a history of ski use.

Eric
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

I will backup the broken gear leg story. On skis for many years can result in the gear leg cracking at the top pair of bolt holes. The airplane doesn't hold up well when this happens.

I have to say, I don't know about solid steel axles. Never even heard of them. Solid aluminum is plenty good for a 170 or early 180 even on skis.

Kelly
frainiea

Post by frainiea »

how can I tell what kind I have? steel vs aluminum is easy, I mean hollow vs solid.
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Russ, I'm convinced. I'm ordering two solid aluminum axles. They're part number 0541124-1. (without the -1 they're the later model hollow ones)Specialty Aircraft sell them (used) for $175 each.
Expensive, but a lot less than if an axle breaks.

Fraineia, just remove the wheel's hub cap and stick a screw driver into the axle. If it slides in, it's hollow. If it stops just after the large nut, it's solid.
Rudy
JDH

Post by JDH »

Rudy, before you do, call or write Lee Buddle from AIRFRAMES INC. Big Lake AK 907-892-8244 or http://www.supercubs.com or info@supercubs.com
He manufactures steel ski axles that are PMA'd, STC, etc. For about the kind of money you are looking at for "used" solid aluminum. Solid aluminum may be adequate, but thick steel axles are better and that's why bush pilots and 180/185 dirvers go that route. We all have days where we don't see a drift or hole, get a ski caught in a rut, bad x-wind or just plain back luck. So, why not go with what can make a difference. My 2 cents. JD
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

JD, thanks for your input. I'm sure the steel axles are better for ski operations and heavier 180's and 185's but for my operation in a 170 I feel the solid aluminum axle would be adequate.
Regards,
Rudy
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Rudy,my two cent's worth re: JD's comments:
I'm sure that solid aluminum axles are plenty adequate for your operations,but I'd think twice about buying a used part for what a brand new part would cost you. Not to bad-mouth Specialty,they don't necesarily know the history of what they sell,but you might end up with a set of solid aluminum axles that have been subjected to abuse: sunk in a lake,extensive ski operations,immersed in salt water while parked on a beach,who knows?
I don't know the weight difference,that might be a factor,but otherwise I think I'd want to go with new over used.

Eric
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Eric, I just ordered the used ones but they said I can return them if they're not satisfactory. If they look good I'll Zyglo them. If not I'll return them.
I'll also get a quote on new aluminum axles.
Rudy
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

I would definitely want new over used, especially for the same money. I'd be curious about the weight difference, too. Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Russ, Eric, I agree. Hill Aircraft in ATL offer new axles for $223.55 ea as opposed to $175 ea for used from Specialty. And Wentworth just quoted $125 for used ones.
I've cannceled the order with Specialty and will buy new ones.
Thanks, guys-
Rudy
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Rudy,

For what its worth, I agree with JD. For $76 more per axle you could have bought the Airframes Inc. FAA PMA STEEL axle from Aircraft Spruce which re-sells them cheaper than Airframes does (list $325 ea.). These are thick walled hollow axles, not solid steel. You will never see a 180 with the solid aluminum axles. Why? Because the steel ones are better. It is intersting to note that the installation of Aero Skis M-3000 or Gar Aero tires requires this axle installation. As for the weight difference, it's only 2 lbs or so, well worth the trade for strength and durability.

Bruce
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Bruce,

That statement might be a little strong. Remember all the places you've seen me go with my 180 on ski's and Gar-Aero's? That was solid aluminum you saw doing that work. I put on a lot of ski and Tundra tire installations in Alaska, you'd agree and most 180's were running solid aluminum unless the owner had changed them out. Anything a 170 gets into will be fine on a set of new solid aluminum axles.

I've been working a lot on the interior of my 170 and I am shocked at how flimsy the floor is in comparison to my old 180. There is no hiding the fact that a 170 is a lighter duty airplane than a 180, and I feel I use mine as hard as anyone.

I'm not saying steel is bad, but I think its crazy to think the solid aluminum axle are bad.

Kelly
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Kelly,

Well I should have known not use the word "never". I thought 180's came out of the box with steel axles, thanks for the update. I didn't mean to imply that solid aluminum axles were "bad", but given the choice, for a few more bucks, wouldn't you rather put the steel axles on? What axle type are you running now?

Bruce