KLN-88 Database Cartridge

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

gahorn wrote:..............there's simply no way any GPS, handheld or panel mount, can compete dollar for dollar with a properly installed, updated KLN 88, if all you need is a quality area-navigation unit for the minimum expenditure. In most cases, a self-reliant, average capability guy can install one himself for less than $300, and have virtually all the features of GPS's costing $thousands more. It's especially attractive as a secondary navigation unit to someone on a tight budget. (Remember that none of the GPS or Loran units are certified for stand-alone, sole navigational use IFR. The expensive Garmin 530/430 units are combination GPS/VOR recievers.)
First of all,can the average guy really install one himself in an approved/certified manner for under $300,and have it approved/certified for IFR use?
Second of all,none of the GPS or LORAN units are approved for stand-alone IFR use? That wasn't my impression,in particular with regards to the UPSAT SL50,SL60 & GX55 ("TSO C129 A2 certified for enroute and terminal flight" and GX50,GX60 & GX65 ("TSO C129a Class A1 approved for IFR non-precision approach operation"). Of course,they have to be installed in an approved fashion,including CDI and annunciator lights.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm not talking about anything other than having a good, reliable area nav unit that's cheap, easily installed by anyone who talented enough to install a CB in an automobile. (Really. It's just that easy. Power in, ground, antenna.)
None of the GPS-only, or GPS-Comm units are stand-alone IFR certified. (Per FAA rule, GPS is a secondary navigation system, same as Loran.) In the simplest terms, in order to use one IFR, there must also be a VOR installed, which is the primary navigator.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

gahorn wrote:...............................None of the GPS-only, or GPS-Comm units are stand-alone IFR certified. (Per FAA rule, GPS is a secondary navigation system, same as Loran.) In the simplest terms, in order to use one IFR, there must also be a VOR installed, which is the primary navigator.
I'm curious where that rule is found in the FAR's.

Eric
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

George is right here. I can't quote the exact FAA rule, but our operations specifications for my airline, which is a standard FAA document, state that we cannot rely on GPS as our only source of IFR navigation without the ability to return to standard airway navigation using a VOR receiver when the GPS fails. And the GPS does fail on a semi-regular basis, and the system does indeed then revert to VOR/DME area navigation. Even with the highest price Garmin GPS units, you have to have a functioning VOR reciever ready to take over when/if the GPS dies. :(
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The GPS regulations you are talking about is AC 20-138. I'm very familiar with these having just recieved approval of a Garmin 155 installation for my 170 and am in the process of doing the flight evaluations required for the IFR certification.

A side note: The inspector signing of on my approval said the fact he has to inspect and sign these off is a bunch of BS.
He then proceed to tell me I have to revise the index in the 8 page Flight Manual Supplement cause the index located on page 2 didn't include ''Cover - page one'' and ''Index - page two''. Glad he found those gross oversights. Heaven forbid I think the back page is the Cover and now I'll know I'm looking at the index cause it says I am. 8O
And the best part is the inspector has a job for another day!
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com