hangar floor paint

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gparker

hangar floor paint

Post by gparker »

Has anyone painted their hangar floor? what did you use? Good results?

Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
BeeMan

Re: hangar floor paint

Post by BeeMan »

Greg,

A friend in Alaska painted his hangar floor last year with a two-part epoxy paint system that he got at Lowe's Home Improvement. He added the paint flakes to the surface for visual appeal. Very professional looking finish in my opinion.

Bill
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Be careful of the surface you choose, it can be very slippery under certain conditions. Some people throw sand in it for roughness.

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Sand works well to keep the surface rough...so not to slip... most of the Lows, Menard's, and other two part epoxies work quite well without sand.....just remember to acid etch your concrete before applying anything.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A very slick "finish" was specified for my hangar floor when I contracted the slab, so that I could use varsol/safety-solvent and a squeegee to clean the floors up whenever a spill occured. (That's what we had and was done as I worked/mechanic-ed my way thru college, and it seemed just fine.)
In actual practice tho', I've used absorbent and only needed to clean the floor in spots and even then, only occasionally. (Call it the "originality" gene.) :lol:

Any ways.... I just wanted to comment that if you have an epoxy-painted floor to which you've added sand or glass beads (obtained from paving suppiers...the glass beads are used to add reflectivity to paint-stipes, etc.)... then you may find that powered floor-cleaning equipment is more difficult to use and/or will remove the particles. Just a thought.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

In 2001 I painted my hangar floor with a two-part epoxy called Hard Deck. It's been 100% trouble-free, with no staining or peeling, but it can be slippery. Back then epoxy paints weren't available at the local hardware retailers.
Green Bean

Post by Green Bean »

We used a two part epoxy from Home Depot. Easy application, after concrete etching. Very easy floor clean-up and the flakes provide the fiction when wet.
Attachments
Tail Ski.jpg
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

After building new T-hangars two years ago, I was looking for a floor coating. Home Depot suggested I use Hospital floor wax. Just mop on a coat let dry and mop on another. Initially I put on five coats in one day. The stuff is anti-skid and anti-static for use on hospital floors. It shines up well, no polishing and cost $80 for a five gallon pail which will easily do a hangar.
JIM BAKER
Brad Brady

Post by Brad Brady »

Yea Green Bean... That's the stuff I use....Works quite well. I have one shop in Blue-gray and another in light brown.....