Winds damage planes in AK.

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

3480C

Winds damage planes in AK.

Post by 3480C »

WOW I Just read the Anchorage daily news on the web http://www.ADN.COM.
I Hope all of you fellow 170 owners weathered the storm. Sounds like there was alot of damage to small aircraft.Those of you that have never visited the ADN site,do so lots of good reading.
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Hey, I've got some pictures, of Damaged Planes at Lake Hood. If anyone wants me to FWD them, let me know. Winds got up to over 100 mph in Palmer. Wondering what the damage is out there? I was told the DC3 got away at Woods Hanger, but it was chased down and they tied dump trucks to it. Pictures are interesting. Several planes (Cubs) are still tied down with wings completely collasped on the ground. Did you come through OK Bruce?
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

I came through OK, thanks Dave. Just dust and silt blown into every crevice and crack. Probably added 10 lbs to my empty weight. It's hell not having a hangar during weather like this. The poor guys with super cubs who were facing downwind are just screwed. The cub wing cannot withstand any wind from the rear, it just folds 'em up like paper mache'. The cub rebuilders up here will have job security for a while.

Bruce
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Noticed in the Anchorage Daily News Classified's, that there are 4 x the usual number of Aircraft For Sale, as normal, the week after storm. Several are just fuselage's only. What I like to see is the 170B for $49,500 and another 53' 170B for $45,000, both 0-300 engines. I'm thinking about pickling mine and waiting for the price to reach $70,000, then it'll be worth what I have in it. Course by then I'll have $100,000 in it. :lol: