Considering Lycoming upgrade and prop selection

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

tomg53

Considering Lycoming upgrade and prop selection

Post by tomg53 »

(Moderator note: This was split to it's own topic)

I am not sure this is in the correct place but I would like to elicit thoughts and concerns about the Lycoming conversion.
Our family 1953 170 B is approaching TBO on the original 0300 engine for the the 3rd reubuild.

With two sons now beginnng to fly it along with me, we are consdidering either an 0360 A1A or A3A to put in it. We get varying opinions about whether or not to stay with a fixed pitch prop (leaning toward a climb prop as we live in mountainous area of Oregon) or spending the extra money for a constant speed prop with it's increased possibility for problems and expense, but improved pereformance.

I would like to hear the pros and cons between the constant speed and fixed pitch setup.

Hayden Glatte
Roesbery

Re: Cessna 170 Purchase.

Post by Roesbery »

If you are going to be operating in the central Oregon area where the low country is 5000 msl and the moutains go up from there, you woud never regret getting more power up front. If you go the Lyc O 360 I would suggest the A1A with the hollow crank. That lets you have the option of either a fixed pitch or the constant speed propeller. If you have the solid crank then you are limited to the fixed prop

(moderator note: Roesbery, apparently your msg was posted to the incorrect thread because it was being moved/split as you posted. I've taken the liberty to post it where you intended and deleted your subsequent curiosity-post about the error.)