Reklaw 2010

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

gparker

Reklaw 2010

Post by gparker »

So, who is going to Reklaw this year? I plan to, and would like to see a good showing of 170's there. Last time I went I wasn't a 170 owner so I am wondering if we usually try to park together, meet together etc? I know some guys are against the free spirited, semi-uncontrolled atmosphere, but I kinda like it that way as long as peole follow the golden rule.

Greg
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
GAHorn

Re: Reklaw 2010

Post by GAHorn »

Last year someone took my poor example and attempted a landing after dark which did not appear under good control....and it concerned both Dave and myself, ... so I wish to announce that I will NOT be landing after dark again, as it seems to have encouraged others to try it.

Do not attempt a landing at Reklaw after official dark. If one cannot arrive before that time, please land either at Jacksonville, TX (13 miles NW, http://www.airnav.com/airport/KJSO ) or plan to arrive the following morning.

This year's announcement from the Mason's states:

"It’s that time again, folks! The 2010 Flying M Ranch [ REKLAW ! ] Fly-In will be happening again, and the web site has been updated with the latest info on hotels, and several of their rates are lower this year. Southern Motor Inn is under new management in Rusk. Also, America’s Best Value and Pine Lodge in Jacksonville are no longer in business. Holiday Inn Express is now at a different location in Jacksonville, just south of their previous location on South Jackson, and their old bldg. is now the Comfort Inn. All Jacksonville motels are now on S. Jackson street.

We are having a major changeup on the food menu this year, due to a big loss of volunteer groups. But we will be trying to cater to make up for it, and keep the quality and value high. The food prices listed on the web site are what we would LIKE them to be, to keep the costs down. But we may need to raise them at the last minute after paying caterers. So keep it in mind… we never make a profit, just break even.

Also, we were able to find 4 more pre-owned porta johns which should be some help this year.

We will be needing volunteers for registration this year, our family is unable to do it due to illness. So please step forward and help!

The big cleanup weekend will be the weekend before, Oct. 15-17, rain or shine. Bring your chainsaws and gloves. Actually, volunteers are welcome to help any day or days between now and then.

Please remember to register, whether you fly in or drive in. Your contributions help keep this event going every year. A BIG THANK YOU to all those who have sent in private donations during the year. It is deeply appreciated.
...Fly safe, and help keep this event one of the safest in the United States!"
Reklaw.JPG
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
SteveF

Post by SteveF »

Hi Gregg,

I am planning on attending Reklaw. The path there is a little convoluted though.

Leaving Spencer MA 60M Wednesday Sep 20 for Lee Bottom IN 64I flyin 23-25 then going to Lancaster TX (LNC), it is on the DART system, and taking Southwest from DAL to Florida for a family reunion.
Going home Southwest until Oct 20 when I come back to Lancaster and fly around the local area for a couple of days then go to Reklaw TX 7TA7. After Reklaw take the 170 back home.

On the way down I plan to stop at Penn State and have some exceptional ice cream at their school of ice cream, stop in Batavia OH to go to Sporty's Pilot Shop for some charts that are being released Sept 24. Plan to stop in Russelville AR and see Dave, stopping overnight at a super great place Gastons Fishing Camp, also Batesville AK to again thank some people who put my plane up during a real nasty storm, and Memphis and Dallas for some good BBQ.
All part of the Bucket List but not under pressure to complete this only doing it because I currently have the time.

Looking forward to seeing you and George and others there!
SteveF
170C

Post by 170C »

Steve, that route doesn't sound convoluted to me. It sounds great! Wish I could fly along with you. However, I will look forward to seeing you in Reklaw. While you are spending some time down here in Texas you might want to take a short flight over to Brenham, TX and sample some of that famous Blue Bell Ice Cream. They make a bunch of it and as they say, "They eat all they can and sell the rest." :D

See you @ Reklaw!

Frank
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
counsellj

Post by counsellj »

When you live in Del Rio, any excuse is a good excuse to get out of town. But Reklaw is a GREAT excuse to get out of town. I will be there camping Fri-Sun.

Jughead
PilotMikeTX

Post by PilotMikeTX »

I would go but only if I hear first hand from the Mason's (e.g. posted on their website) that there will be limitations placed on low passes, smoke oil, and non-aircraft motor vehicles in the aircraft parking areas (ATVs, motorcycles, cars and trucks, etc.) They seem more concerned about campfires than all of the other dangerous crap that went on last year. :evil:
gparker

Post by gparker »

Well this is it-- Reklaw weekend. I'll be heading up Friday Morning. My plane is Polished aluminum with yellow and white stripes. N3457D. I'll leave my cell # in the window so if you are there give me a call. If you are undecided about going, well, YOU SHOULD GO!
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

PilotMikeTX wrote:I would go but only if I hear first hand from the Mason's (e.g. posted on their website) that there will be limitations placed on low passes, smoke oil, and non-aircraft motor vehicles in the aircraft parking areas (ATVs, motorcycles, cars and trucks, etc.) ...
Yep.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Plan to stop in Russelville AR and see Dave, stopping overnight at a super great place Gastons Fishing Camp, also Batesville AK
Hey Steve, I'm in Alaska until Wed 27th ... update us on where you are, I have my trout license and need to go to Gaston's, AR. But I'm not flying all the way to Batesville Alaska (AK). Are you going to take a month or two this time? :)
170C

Post by 170C »

REKLAW 2010--------We had a grand ole time as usual thanks to Dave & Marcia Mason and all of their volunteers. Aircraft numbers were down somewhat this year, but still plenty of them to keep ones interest. Peoplewise there seemed to be a bunch of them and it appeared the number of recreational vehicles was as strong as last year if not more so. Hopefully Marcia will post some numbers when she has had a chance to unwind from all the activities. As mentioned above, the food service was changed somewhat from previous years and from my prospective it was really good. Flying M was dry this year, maybe dryer than one other year I remember (this was # 17 in a row for me) which called for everyone being cautious with fires (as in NONE). Yours truly arrived at noon on Thursday and departed by 10:30 on Sunday. Happy to report that there were quite a number of 170's at the fly in although not all piloted by C-170 members :( Some really nice ones :!: Texas members Ken Peck, Naomi Goodlett, Kirby Boyd and Henry II (his trusty Collie) were there as were Louisiana member Greg Parker and his wife, daughters as well as his parents. And guess who won the long distance award??? Our own Stephen Fogarty. His trip from Brookline, MA was easily the most distant of anyone attending. If I missed anyone, I appologize :oops: We caught the storm at dinner time on Saturday which blew a number of tents over (that weren't staked down) wrecked a few canopies and apparently quite a few folks slept in wet accomodations. Too bad the rain didn't come 4-5 days earlier. Don't know what, if any, other damage the storm caused other than my friend Jessie from Leander, TX awoke to find a 3-4 inch hole in the left horizontal stab. as a result of a dead limb going through both layers of fabric on his '46 Taylorcraft. However with some duct tape I had with me, he patched the hole, declared it airworthy, and flew home. Looking forward to Reklaw 2011.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
gparker

Post by gparker »

Ditto what Frank, AKA Ol Pokey said-- a GREAT time was had by all. Beautiful airplanes, lots of flying, and meeting new friends. Reklaw is truly grassroots aviation at its finest. I am sure there are other flyins like Reklaw out there. I've heard the Lee Bottom Flying is similar and lots of fun, but Reklaw is the nearest to me that I know of. Although the weather wasn't perfect this year, it was good enough for everyone to get in and get out safely and to have a great flying day in between. I flew both Saturday morning and Saturday evening and watched planes all day on Friday, Saturday and half of Sunday, and never did I see or experience any dangerous or marginal flying. No one had to wait more than a minute to take off, and the "self-regulation" scheme worked great. Even novice pilots, as long as they know how to land on grass, can fly safely there. My wife and kids loved it too.

Now I have withdrawals. What other similar flyins are there out there?
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

gparker wrote:and never did I see or experience any dangerous or marginal flying. No one had to wait more than a minute to take off, and the "self-regulation" scheme worked great. Even novice pilots, as long as they know how to land on grass, can fly safely there.

I'm sure glad to hear your report, maybe cooler heads have prevailed and the craziness is gone. I chose not to go back this year based on what I saw the last three years, it was awful.

Otherwise, Reklaw is one of the best annual fly-ins I have ever gone to and I have been to Lee Bottom twice.
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Received from Marcia Mason:
"Thanks to all of you for attending this year’s Wreck-law fly-in. The FAA has issued a request for any photos of the Glastar that totaled, prior to it’s being moved off the runway over to the trees. (He was OK.)
Please send your photo or video to us here at the Flying M.
The pilot is in approval with this request and has cooperated fully with the NTSB and FAA.
Surprisingly, there was very little damage to other aircraft in the microburst that followed later that evening. One Champ had an unlicensed tree limb damage the fabric, and one Cessna had a ding in the wing from a tent that went flying without proper clearance, but the bulk of damage was confined, thankfully, to tents and sleeping bags. Thanks for tying down your aircraft securely or it would have been much worse.
RE: Lost & Found, we are looking for the owner of a camera and also for a pair of men’s Rx eyeglasses left near the registration area but missing"

Contact her at her regular email address listed at their website.
gparker

Post by gparker »

I was standing on the runway edge watching arrivals when this guy came in. He simply screwed up. He touched down slightly hot, and bounced. At that point he panicked and put the nose down, which resulted in a nose-first second touchdown, and another bounce. Again he either pushed the nose down or failed to add a little power and pull the nose up, but either way his third nose-first touchdown collapsed the nosewheel and over he went. I was surprised at the damage done to the plane because the nose-over didn't appear to be that violent.

The accident wasn't due to the field conditions or to too many planes or anything like that-- he just didn't follow soft field or bounced landing techniques. I felt horrible for the guy. Thank goodness he wasn't hurt. But again, it could have happened anywhere else at any time.
1956 170B N3457D
SN 27000
Denham Springs, LA