FUSELAGE LIFT HANDLE FOR GROUND HANDLING A C-170?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

JHENION

FUSELAGE LIFT HANDLE FOR GROUND HANDLING A C-170?

Post by JHENION »

To Forum members:

I have seen retractable 'tube handles' installed through the fuselage just in front of the stablizer on some tail draggers. Does anyone know where these 'kits' can be purchased? Also, does anyone have any experience with these handles to comment on their pros or cons?

Thanks for any constructive input.

Jack Henion
C170 N1415D
mit

Post by mit »

They are from BAS, and cost alot!
Tim
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

$190 for a 170 according to their site. Here's the link:
http://www.basinc-aeromod.com/prod02.htm
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I've got them, and think they're the best thing since Rnav! They will pay for themselves as soon as you realize they will help you avoid pushing/pulling on the vertical stabilizer fillet (which leads to breaking/cracking of the attach angle and a big repair bill.) They are a very easy way for only one person to move the aircraft around.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Besides BAS,Cessna makes a similar item: p/n's 1612030-1,1612032-1,1612029-1,plus some AN parts. I believe the Cessna set-up is for a 180/185,but I have a copy of a 337 (available from Assn hq) field-approving installation on a 170.
Installing a set of the STC'd BAS pull-handles has been on my things-to-do list for quite a while,I might get around to it yet. I use a tow-bar or push on the leading edge of the stab. for moving backward--I think the big advantage of the pull-handles is moving the airplane forward--you can pull the prop or push on the struts,but you don't have any directional control like what the pull-handles give you. The only push point like that on a stock 170 is the elevator torque tube,on the right side inboard of the elevator itself--awkward to use at best.
Beside the $190 (plus S&H) purchase price,there's probably an hour of installation time,plus a 337 has to be filed.

Eric
Koop

Bass pull handles

Post by Koop »

I have them on my 55' and I think it is one of the best mods you could buy. It makes pushing and pulling very easy. koop
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I use a towbar that slips over the tailwheel axle for pulling and pushing in and out of the hanger. Made it cheap and it slides in its own handle to collapse.
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
JDH

Post by JDH »

I have the B.A.S. on my plane and love it. Useful for ground handling and eventhough I do have a nice tow bar that can be attached to my car hitch, I don't need to bring it with me when I travel to a different airport. You can also lift the tail with it, but, unless you want to take the full weight (170's have very heavy tails) on the biceps (the handles sit high), cup the handle in your elbow and lift with the legs. In the winter when taxiing is difficult and you have to swing the tail many times as you are trying to taxi in a X-wind on skis, its great. There is one on each side of the tail, they stay put via a spring when pushed in; they are great! JD
hetch

Post by hetch »

I have the BAS tail pull handle on my A model, and am very happy with it. When I push sideways on the plane, I always push on a bulkhead area. An item of advice- think about how you will access the elevator bellcrank area (where the cables transfer to the push/pull tube). An A model does not have the cover plate on the fuselage to allow access into that area (although I don't know how much real work you could do through the hole). That is why I decided to install my tube using structural screws (which is listed as an alternative on the STC), rather than rivets. Cause I know that I'll have to pull that tube next time I have to get back there again for any serious work. Just a thought.
-Glenn

p.s. I also have BAS shoulder harnesses. They make excellent kits. Good quality and instructions. In this case, you get what you pay for.
Glenn
'50 170A N5493C
jon s blocker

pull handle

Post by jon s blocker »

I have just put a BAS pull handle in my 170 B, and the handle will not interfere with anything you have to do with the tail section. it is just a tight squeeze to get in the tail section to work on it anyway.I believe there is a 337 form that allows one to put an inspection hole in that tail section, but when i had my A model I never felt it was necessary, just handy. Good luck, the handle is worth the trouble.
. Jon
dacker

Post by dacker »

I just had the tail pull and harnesses installed on my "A", both kits were excellent! I have not had a chance to use either as of yet since my airplane is still in the middle of it's semi rebuild. From what I can tell though, I would recommend both as a "gotta have".
David
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

Jack,
I have installed 3 of the BAS tail handles, the job is straight-forward. The instructions tell you right where to locate the handle. Basically you climb down the tailcone with a light, a drill motor (90 degree if you have one), the proper size drill, #30 I think, Cleco fasteners, a marking or wax pen, maybe some masking tape to help initially hold the tube in place and make marks. After you drill all the holes (6 on each side plus the two big holes) you will need to remove the assembly and vacuum out all the chips, you can also brush a little zinc chromate on the edges of the skins where you drilled & cut.
I use rivets instead of screws, makes a much better looking install, I think.
You may also need a good size (about 1") uni-bit to make the hole in the skin for the tube to pass through, although I just used a power-file. Don't forget to get your 337 form done.
You need these handles to keep from pushing on the horizontal stabilizer, as well as the vertical as gahorn says. Overzealous line -boys just love to push your plane around by the stab, which can cause damage, and will, given enough time. (It's even harder on the 170's big brothers, 180/185)
While you are down in the tailcone you should take a look at the bulkhead where the stabilizer mount bolts are. Check for cracks, also check out the brackets for the elevator belcrank. Bring some LPS and lube that belcrank bearing and rudder cable pulleys too.

Max
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

I'll chime in also... I think the tail pulls are the best thing you can put on the plane for under $200. I've installed several and they're pretty easy. Fit is so good they almost self locate.

My only problem is forgetting to push them in and finding one out when I land. Makes you feel like an idiot. :oops:
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
rudymantel

Post by rudymantel »

Speaking of overzealous lineboys, when I pull into an FBO facility I never let them move my airplane. I always park it myself, and tie it also.
I'm sure you guys do likewise.
Rudy