Venturi Recommendations

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1478D

Top Ten Reasons For Difference Between Replies! ! !

Post by N1478D »

Anybody know the top ten reasons for the difference in this recent George answer:
gahorn wrote: No.
And this George answer? :D
gahorn wrote:I'm always surprised that so many disparage venturis. I find them a very reliable and cheap source of vacuum. The few times I've discovered an airplane that had mal-functioning venturis had maintenance issues such as:
1. Improper fittings in the vacuum system. Using hydraulic or ordinary brass plumbing hardware creates restrictions due to internal design. (Most ordinary fittings are designed for pressure, not vacuum, and most make sharp turns internally adding restriction.) Fix: Use correct Aeroquip 816 (not the same as AN816) Aeroquip 8891, Statoflex, or Airborne (c) fittings, etc. in a vacuum system. These are identifiable by having their turns made with a long radius rather than sharp corners, and are usually mfd out of steel or spun aluminum, rather than cast, forged, or machined metal.
2. Old and/or incorrect hoses. Correct vacuum hoses designed for air/vacuum/pneumatic systems (such as Mil-H-5593, Aeroquip 306, or Stratoflex 111 or 193 hose) rather than pressure-type hoses. Pneumatic-type hoses have inner liners that are designed/vulcanized to their outer materials so they won't delaminate and/or collapse under vacuum and aren't dried-out by air. Other types are designed to carry fluids, oils, etc. under pressure and the inner liners may collapse, wrinkle, etc. diminishing the effective vacuum and may dry-out and send rubber particulates thru your gyros.
3. Venturis are covered in multiple layers of paint, dented, eroded, etc. and otherwise damaged. While they are pretty fool-proof devices, buying a used venturi is asking for trouble. If the inner throat is worn from exposure to sand, dust, accumulated debris, or has lost it's sharp edge at the exit,...or if the inner venturi is no longer concentrically located within the outer tube (the tolerance is only +or- .010") then it will never produce the design vacuum. It it's auxillary source plug is leaking, (or if in use, if the base gasket is leaking, dried out, missing, never-installed, etc.) then it cannot produce design vacuum.
The valid shortcomings of a venturi system include:
1. No vacuum produced before takeoff (unless a standby, or alternate source is used.)
2. Icing can reduce/prevent vacuum. (But it can do the same for flight in a 170! 8O An iced up 170 with a vacuum pump is also in trouble, and even a vacuum pump equipped airplane is in short-term trouble without a heated pitot and anti-iced propeller.)
3. Installation location is important. (Some installations attempt to overcome icing paranoia's by locating the venturi near the lower cowling exit, reasoning that warm air there will prevent the ice from occuring. Unfortunately, this also locates the venturi where it will become contaminated with dirt blown-up/thrown by the prop and any oil misting/leaks from the engine compartment. Both will reduce the efficiency of a venturi.)
A venturi-driven vacuum system is subject to most of the same problems of a pump-driven system such as aged hoses, misrouted lines, incorrect fittings etc. But it has none of the sudden-failure habits of dry vacuum pumps and none of the oily-belly problems of a wet pump system. (And, by the way, all the problems mentioned above in #1 and #2 are also known to add to the short life of dry vacuum pumps. When a dry pump system doesn't provide enough vacuum due to the masking effects of those faults, the mechanic usually cranks up the vacuum regulator/relief. This seriously overworks the pump, and then the owner is surprised/disappointed when he goes through pumps regularly. (If I did have a pump-driven system, I'd opt for a wet-pump and live with the belly.)
In my own day-dreams, after I get a heated pitot, electric windshield, prop anti-ice and TKS system approved for the 170, I think I'd consider one of the engine-intake vacuum system backups for the all-weather interceptor 170. That way I could spin up the gyro's before takeoff and still have a backup vacuum source if the venturi ices up and the struts begin to look like popsickles. I just hope when it finally falls out of the sky, I hit the ground and wake up from the bad dream. 8O (just kidding, folks.) :wink:
#10. Before the first answer Jamie was heard to sweetly say "Come in here George, I want you." And Jamie was out of town during the second answer.

#9. Clear weather while answering with first response, strong thunderstorms in Austin area during second response.

#8. Keyboard had beer spilled on it before first answer, new keyboard before second.

Any ideas on 7 - 1?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Kelly.

I'd pull the gyros and venturis too, if I lived where every day was CAVU :D (i'm a poet and don't know it)

But seriously would you leave them in if you still lived back up here or if you lived in a rainier spot. Remember your departure with Dave in your 180 out Lake Hood one wintery day when I was er... temporarily incapicitated (stuck) on skis near Hatcher Pass? Did you find that having an AI gyro to be of value then (or other times)?

And Joe, regarding George's answers, I'm not qualified to judge so will refrain from any and all speculation. :lol:

Bruce
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

N3243A wrote:Kelly.

And Joe, regarding George's answers, I'm not qualified to judge so will refrain from any and all speculation. :lol:

Bruce
Hey Bruce, George doesn't mind being teased about his ability to give his opinions! Alaska too serious of a place for humor?
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I never thought Kelly was trying to start anything.
But...Now let me get this right, Joe...
You're trying to get Bruce to pick a fight with me over my short/quick/truthful response that found no fault with using autogas?
What am I missing here? :lol:
I propose the #1 answer is: I was trying to help anyone having venturi problems assess possible causes, and I was answering Alterfede in Spanish! :lol:
funseventy

Post by funseventy »

Bruce,

On that particular day, I was O'Naturalle. In other words, Once a light man always a light man!! I only had needle, ball, and airspeed. Does that say anything about how serious I felt your situation was?

Kelly

CAVU - Clouds All the Vay Up? Ha!
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

gahorn wrote:I never thought Kelly was trying to start anything.
But...Now let me get this right, Joe...
You're trying to get Bruce to pick a fight with me over my short/quick/truthful response that found no fault with using autogas?
What am I missing here? :lol:
I propose the #1 answer is: I was trying to help anyone having venturi problems assess possible causes, and I was answering Alterfede in Spanish! :lol:
HA! No, I was laughing so hard after reading for the first time in years a one word response from you that I didn't even pick up on the positive mogas part! :lol: Then, came to the normal George response here on this thread and laughed again!
Don't want any fights! Not sure what you mean about anybody trying to start anything, although, my generator is charging too much and it is going to have to go to the shop soon! :D
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
N3243A

Post by N3243A »

Well my cup runneth over with responses:

First to Kelly, Thanks again for launching to pick us up that early winter day. That would have been a cold night (-40F) sitting in the plane. That event made a big impact on my ski flying attitude and subsequently I have not been seriously stuck like that again.

And Joe, we have plenty of humor in Alaska, fly on up and visit and we will do some fun flying and fishing that will make you think twice about staying in the little state of Texas. :wink: (Sorry, couldn't resist)

And to George, who I respect a lot for putting the effort into these boards, (and being the type club parts/maintenance coordinator) I don't a want a couple of differences and/or opinions in the past to get out of hand or hinder future communications. It's easy to see how that happens just in the last few posts on this thread with comments like "pick a fight" and "I meant it as joke" etc. Without voice tone or facial expression, the wrong or a negative message can be percieved pretty quickly. And I can dig my heels in with the best of them! Anyway, hook up with Joe and fly on up, I'll buy the first round (after the planes are tied down of course). But with my 80-42 prop and 8:50x10 tires, no speed contests even with your slow plane. :D

Bruce
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

:lol: THANKS Bruce, but you better be careful, some of us have actually been talking (dreaming) of flying up there.:lol: If Frank or I come in to some unknown money it will be sooner, rather than later, that we'll mosey on up. The same invite is extended for you guys to come down here to the smaller big state, the first round's on me. Heard that George is either driving or taking the bus up to the Mineral Wells Flyin Saturday so he can make it a one day event instead of flying that plane of his for two days. HA.

Happy Flying!
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

funseventy wrote: CAVU - Clouds All the Vay Up? Ha!
I hear that in Alaska-- at least in Southeast-- CAVU means Cloudy And Very Ugly. Oftentimes,at least around this time of year,it means that here in western Washington too! :cry:

Eric
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

George, you forget to mention running a Y in the venturi plumbing for the pilot relief tube. :twisted: (Just remember to run some bottled water thru when your done to prevent corrosion)
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

So George, if I am understanding you correctly, you say that the original venturies designed to produce 4" hg will in actuality produce closer to 6" hg. This assumes a 4" venturi in good condition? This being true, then dual 4" venturies in good condition should be quite adequate for running a modern AH and DG. Correctly installed 4" venturies in good condition is all we need. I like this, but wonder if the problems many other owners are having with their modern gyro instruments can be traced to vacuum lines in bad condition, their 4" hg venturies in bad condition, or the intake filter/lines/screens in bad condition? I think I will just stick with my dual 4" hg venturies and see what happens when I replace my AN DG with a modern DG. The modern AH works just fine, so maybe the modern DG will as well. I'll wait till I have the problem before fixing it :?
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

John, I have asingle stock venturi. i beleive the lines to be in OK shape and I may have a none aircraft type fitting somewhere in there. I have 2 modern gyros. The horizon seems to work Ok and most of the time the DG works also. My system will pull 4.25 inches at about 105 indicated. In any typ of climb as speed drops below 100 it drops off then my DG precesses and I'll bet my horizon isn't working well either. That is way I started this thread as I need to improve this.

Based on the fact that I now have a single venturi installation the info in this thread I'm leaning towards replacing my one venturi with one 8"or 9". I'll bet 2- 4" venturis will work but buy the time I buy, mount and plum a second one to just have enough vaacum, I'd rather buy one and replace what I have and be sure to have enought vaacum.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Bruce,

It sounds like you and I have the same indications and problems with the venturi. I have one and it powers a DG and AI. I get no reading below about 85mph and somewhere around 90mph I get a reading of about 3.0 to 3.5. At 105mph to 115mph it'll get right up there into the green arc (just barely) at 4.0. I'm not sure what size my venturi is. I'm not sure if this helps, but it's sometimes helpful to hear someone else with the same indications.

Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

You might want to crawl under the panel & dig into the kick panels,and trace out the vacuum line(s) from the venturi to the gyro's. Maybe there's a regulator in the system that you can crank up?

Eric
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

That's on my "to do" list the next time I have a maintenance day.

Mike Smith
1950 C-170A