Oil Filter Adapter/Significant Oil Loss

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

N1277D

Oil Filter Adapter/Significant Oil Loss

Post by N1277D »

My C170A is equipped with the El-Reno Oil filter adapter. While returning from a long cross country, the adapter vibrated loose or lost it torque. The leg was very turbulent for most of the 3 1/2 hr leg. We subsequently lost about 3 to 4 quarts of oil out of the oil filter adapter seal.

Based on this experience, I would recommend that the torque be checked on the oil filter adapter often - perhaps at every oil change or after experienceing significance in flight turbulence for extended time periods.
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Wasn't the adapter safety wired??? Russ Farris
All glory is fleeting...
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The early El Reno adaptor used two copper crush washers for gasket sealing. The later adaptor (they're all made by FM Enterprises, Borger, Tx) had a different chamfer and used a rubberized flat gasket at the base. If you have the earlier adaptor, you should return it to fm-enterprises.com and they'll modify it for free. This should solve your problem. (Borrow their thread chaser while you're at it, to clean your accy case threads for a better torque.)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I bought a filter adapter from El Reno about 2 years ago. Evidently I got the "early" version,as it came with crush washers. I did have trouble getting it to seal,until I borrowed a thread-chaser (tap) from El Reno & cleaned out the accessory case hole a little deeper. I then had no trouble getting it cranked down leak-free. They give you a foot-pounds value but since the fitting has a square head & I don't have a suitable attachment for my torque wrench I just used the old Armstrong method on her. No problem since then,so I think I'll just stick with the crush ring arrangement.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If ever you do wish to apply the proper torque (60-65 ft-lbs) you might ask a local PT-6 engine mechanic (KingAir, TwinOtter, Cheyenne, Conquest-I) for the correct 1" square socket. It's commonly used on those engines and they'll likely have one they'll loan you. FM Enterprises is also good about loaning tools.
lowNslow

Post by lowNslow »

I got my torque wrench to work using a crows foot socket. Only works for that last eighth - quarter turn.
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

HA! This also happened to me on my last trip to San Antonio. Just out of annual where the filter head had been taken off for cleaning and a new Champion 48109 filter installed. Test flight was fine with no leaks. Over the course of the flight to Texas, I started to see oil trailing back under the aircraft. By the time I landed at Stinson Municipal in SAT the oil was dripping off the tailwheel! Found the leak to be coming from the crush washer between the filter head and the case. Not knowing proper torque and not wishing to just pull the wrench and risk that sickening feeling of the threads pulling out of the case, I cut the safety wire and tightened the square nut about a sixteenth of a turn at a time until ground runs at idle showed no oil leak. Took a half turn to properly seal the gasket...and I am going back to the shorter 48108 filter!
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

It's very easy to move the adapter housing a bit when changing filters. Especially if the torque on the 1" housing bolt is a little low.Be careful and put one hand on the assembly to hold it from moving when changing filters.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

wa4jr wrote:HA! This also happened to me on my last trip to San Antonio. Just out of annual where the filter head had been taken off for cleaning and a new Champion 48109 filter installed. Test flight was fine with no leaks. Over the course of the flight to Texas, I started to see oil trailing back under the aircraft. By the time I landed at Stinson Municipal in SAT the oil was dripping off the tailwheel! Found the leak to be coming from the crush washer between the filter head and the case. Not knowing proper torque and not wishing to just pull the wrench and risk that sickening feeling of the threads pulling out of the case, I cut the safety wire and tightened the square nut about a sixteenth of a turn at a time until ground runs at idle showed no oil leak. Took a half turn to properly seal the gasket...and I am going back to the shorter 48108 filter!
I thought this had been mentioned elsewhere but just to be safe....the 48109 filter is not approved for the El Reno/FM Enterprises adaptor.
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

When tightening the bolt ... I have a torque wrench, but do I need a special socket for the bolt? It sounds like a 1" will do, is this a regular 1" socket? Mine has been leaking at a progressively greater rate which is requiring wipe downs after every flight. It's not much oil, but it sure is annoying and I suspect (from the previous posts) that it could get bad enough to be a real safety issue.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

gahorn wrote:If ever you do wish to apply the proper torque (60-65 ft-lbs) you might ask a local PT-6 engine mechanic (KingAir, TwinOtter, Cheyenne, Conquest-I) for the correct 1" square socket. It's commonly used on those engines and they'll likely have one they'll loan you. FM Enterprises is also good about loaning tools.
OK, everbody blame MIKE SMITH for me finally disintegrating down to the point of actually quoting MYSELF :!: :lol: :!: :lol: :!: :lol:
Yes, Mike, you need a 1" SQUARE socket. A regular socket may not do it. :wink:
Last edited by GAHorn on Sat Oct 04, 2003 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
170C

Oil Filter Adapter Leak

Post by 170C »

As a new owner of a FM oil filter adapter this is, of course, interesting. I installed mine just before annual time and not having a correct torque wrench socket (no friends who work on the heavy iron PT-6's, etc) I used a Texas Torque Wrench. ie: all I could armstrong. As I flew to my annual location I noticed oil on the filter. My AI said they put a little more torque on it, but felt most, if not all the oil was coming from my starter pinion seal. After the flyin to Graham, TX last weekend I saw some oil again on the filter, but also noticed, even after paying for the purchase of a less used starter housing (mine was said to be severly worn), I still had a drop of oil on the pinion shaft. I suspect that may be where the oil is coming from. A drop or two of oil on that white filter looks a lot worse than it really is! Still wish it didn't drip. but hoping its not the adapter itself.

Now if I could just find a source for the Champion filters for less than $15-16 !
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

George,
Wow, as a newbie I've already mastered the art of getting you to repeat yourself ... humm, I guess I have lots of potential wouldn't ya say? Anyway, I realized you had already said "1 inch square socket", but since I'm just a shadetree mechanic I wasn't sure if this was the same as the 1" socket I already had in my tool collection. A guy just wants to be sure before he heads out to the aerodrome to do some wrenchin'. :wink: Thanks for all your help, hopefully this will solve my little oil leak.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Oh yes, what precipitated the question (which caused George to repeat himself) was that I called the El Reno people and specifically asked if I could use a "regular 1 inch socket" or if I needed a special type of 1 inch socket. Their reply was, "just a regular 1 inch socket will do". Sooooo, I have now shifted blame and it's not my fault ... you can't prove a thing ... noone saw me do it ... it was my evil twin ...
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Ha, Ha, Ha!!! :lol:
Anyway, ...like many things, ... the "wrong" tool is a relative matter perhaps. A 12-point socket can be used on a 6-point bolt head, but it only grips the outside corners of the bolt-hex and will not accept the same amount of torque without slipping and damaging the bolt. Perhaps another socket might be used to do this job, but I was trying to steer folks to a method of using the "correct" tool without having to go out and buy one for a one-time use.