Oil Filter Adapter/Significant Oil Loss

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Thanks, I'll see if I can track one down out here.
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

gahorn wrote:The early El Reno adaptor used two copper crush washers for gasket sealing. The later adaptor (they're all made by FM Enterprises, Borger, Tx) had a different chamfer and used a rubberized flat gasket at the base. If you have the earlier adaptor, you should return it to fm-enterprises.com and they'll modify it for free. This should solve your problem. (Borrow their thread chaser while you're at it, to clean your accy case threads for a better torque.)
Despite my borrowing El Reno's thread chaser several months ago,& subsequently getting a good torque on my oil filter adapter,I continued to experience a small but annoying oil leak. I emailed F&M via their website to see about the "free mod" George talked about. When they didn't respond after about 4 days,I called on the telephone. They didn't offer to modify my oil filter adapter. for free or otherwise,but they did offer to sell me a "gasket set" including the new style gasket & new instruction sheet for $7--said that should fix the leak. We'll see.....

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

zero.one.victor wrote:
gahorn wrote:The early El Reno adaptor used two copper crush washers for gasket sealing. The later adaptor (they're all made by FM Enterprises, Borger, Tx) had a different chamfer and used a rubberized flat gasket at the base. If you have the earlier adaptor, you should return it to fm-enterprises.com and they'll modify it for free. This should solve your problem. (Borrow their thread chaser while you're at it, to clean your accy case threads for a better torque.)
Despite my borrowing El Reno's thread chaser several months ago,& subsequently getting a good torque on my oil filter adapter,I continued to experience a small but annoying oil leak. I emailed F&M via their website to see about the "free mod" George talked about. When they didn't respond after about 4 days,I called on the telephone. They didn't offer to modify my oil filter adapter. for free or otherwise,but they did offer to sell me a "gasket set" including the new style gasket & new instruction sheet for $7--said that should fix the leak. We'll see.....

Eric
Did you call them and actually specify that you'd like your adaptor modified to the chamfered type?
zero.one.victor

Yeah,George,I sure did. The fella who I talked to said that it wasn't necesary,although the adapter body is chamfered on the newer adapters. He said the change in gaskets should do the trick. I even dropped your name,as 170 Association parts & maintenance coordinator--maybe that explains the reaction I got regarding re-machining my adapter! :cry:

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

That explains it! :?
Try calling them back and disguising your voice. Tell 'em you never heard of me. (Or wish you had...) :?
(Seriously, I'll call them and find out why they tell me one thing, and you something different. I'll get back on this.)
Mike Smith

Post by Mike Smith »

Well I got my torque wrench and a 1" socket and headed out to the aerodrome to do some torquein' ... but alas, a new wrinkle! That 1" square bolt has another bolt on top of it with a wire coming out that must be either oil pressure or temp. Sooo, I can't get the socket on without crimping the wire and I was wondering, if I try to take it out, will 7 quarts of oil flow out of that hole? If so, maybe I should get those washers you're discussing from El Reno and just wait till the next oil change. Any suggestions besides what I've already covered?
Mike Smith
1950 C-170A
zero.one.victor

It might seem obvious to some but it's easy to forget that the oil screen (& even the generator) is below the oil level in the sump. Don't ask me how I know! So yeah,drain the oil out before you get to wrenching on the oil screen/oil filter.
Yeah Mike,that "wire" is the cap tube for the oil temp sensor,you can remove that,then probably have to remove the adapter bushing which screws into the back of the oil filter adapter barrel--then you can get your 1" square socket on the adapter barrel.

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Mike, as Eric points out, that is an alcohol-filled bourdon tube/capillary for your oil temp gauge. Be careful when you remove the nut that holds it into the oil filter adaptor/oil screen. (Yes, all the oil will drain out.)
But be careful when reinstalling it. ONly tighten it snug and then 1/8 turn. NO MORE that that!
If it's overtightened, it can cut the skirt on the capillary bulb, and subsequently it can fracture in flight, dump ALL your oil, and you can destroy your engine. (It happened to me in my Aeronca after a shop let their inexperienced mechanic do my oil change.) :evil:
That experience is one of the major reasons I went to an oil filter adaptor, just to avoid having to fiddle with that capillary each oil change/screen cleaning. To me, that was more important than filtering the oil. :?
zero.one.victor

zero.one.victor wrote: Despite my borrowing El Reno's thread chaser several months ago,& subsequently getting a good torque on my oil filter adapter,I continued to experience a small but annoying oil leak. I emailed F&M via their website to see about the "free mod" George talked about. When they didn't respond after about 4 days,I called on the telephone. They didn't offer to modify my oil filter adapter. for free or otherwise,but they did offer to sell me a "gasket set" including the new style gasket & new instruction sheet for $7--said that should fix the leak. We'll see.....

Eric
Well,today UPS brought me my package from F&M. In it was a revised installation sheet for the oil filter adapter,one AN900-28 crush ring,and the new style "durabla" (?) fiber gasket for the adapter/accesory case connection. Also included was the invoice on which they billed my credit card $7 for the parts--along with $10.99 for shipping & handling! Not too happy about that, they didn't mention any S&H charge when I ordered the parts. I kinda figured the $7 included delivery,after all the crush ring only costs about 50 cents,and I figured the gasket should only cost about $3 at the most.
I know it's only eleven bucks,but a chicken. fee like this really ticks me off. If they're not willing to correct their design flaw for free,the least they can do is not gouge me! I'll be calling them tomorrow to "discuss" it. No doubt a waste of time but maybe it'll make me feel better.....

Eric
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

They'll hear from me too, because I've been recommending them. :?
zero.one.victor

Called F&M today,asked why the S&H fee wasn't mentioned when I ordered the gaskets. Told them I had figured the high price on the gaskets must've included the S&H. They just said "wull,that's what it costs us to ship it....". So,no satisfaction,just like I figured. Maybe I should have gone thru El Reno,where I bought the oil filter adapter to begin with. They have always treated me well. When they loaned me their thread-chaser,they even paid to send it to me--all I had to pay for was the return shipping! Oh well,live & learn I guess......
I'm really gonna be PO'd if the new gasket doesn't cure the oil leak! :evil:

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Eric

You could threaten a massive number of SDR's from all of us who have had problems with the leaking which would maybe initiate an AD? Maybe an AD would be justified on that piece of crap anyway. Not that I'm all that pro AD type of guy.

Of course then I guess it gives them a licence to make even mor $ from the AD. You can't win I guess.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Yeah,an AD would hurt us alot more than it would hurt them. As you point out,they'd just make money selling whatever parts need to be replaced per the AD. Dirty buggers kinda got us by the short hairs......

Eric
zero.one.victor

After having dealings with both companies, I think I would advise anyone wanting an F&M oil filter adapter to buy it from El Reno. At least that way a good customer-friendly outfit would get at least part of the profit from the sale. Of course,make sure that you're getting the new-style adapter with the gasket (instead of a crush ring) at the accesory-case connection.
Interestingly,I bought my adapter from El Reno in feb 2001,but the revised F&M installation instruction sheet is dated 1998. El Reno musta laid in a big supply of the adapters,or maybe F&M was fobbing off
all the old style adapters they had on hand to El Reno?

Eric
zero.one.victor

Reinstalled my oil filter adapter today with the new gasket. Borrowed a friend's 1" crows-foot to use with my torque wrench. Sure a lot better method than just armstrongin' it with my 1" open-end wrench. Not only easier to get it tight,but I actually knew how tight I was getting it--65 foot-pounds per F&M installation sheet. Too blustery today to fly,maybe tomorrow? I'm gonna be bummed if it still leaks afer all this.......

Eric