Spruce Aircraft shoulders harness

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Jean777

Spruce Aircraft shoulders harness

Post by Jean777 »

I understand that BAS shoulders harnesses are the best but they are a little bit over my budget since my airplane also need other improvements, I have looked at alternative and found a seat-belt/harness kit on spruce aircraft part num 13-00903-1, stc approuved for cessna 170 at $169.95 per seat, did anyone ever bought that set or anyone know if they are goods, Tanks Jean 1952 Cessna 170b C-GNGP
canav8

Re: Spruce Aircraft shoulders harness

Post by canav8 »

Jean, all due respect. You are complaining about the cost? Seriously, you are flying airplanes. The price for safety in a tail dragger if you should go over. What do you think the cost of your hospital bills will be if you have an accident. If you think it will cost a lot you are right. I would quit flying. A set of shoulder harness's are cheap insurance. Lets be realistic. Doug
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
Jean777

Post by Jean777 »

I agree with you Doug, this is why I am planning to install good and solid harness, but do I really need inertial reels, would a good pair of fixed or ajustable ones also do the job, I am just trying to find out before choosing one. I also looked at hooker harness . I don t want to get the single one from cessna Tanks again
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

I have what looks like the same thing Spruce sells only I got them from Wag Aero. I'm happy with them especially for an $800 price difference. I loosen them a little in cruises, so I just wait until I get the first notch of flaps to tighten them back up. On a go around I can get the flaps up with the harness tight so that is not a factor. Flying is expensive and I will not quit because of it. I'll just mitigate the costs where ever I can, just as long as it doesn't compromise safety. As for me the inertia reel is a luxury not a necessity.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
minton

Post by minton »

Just a thought:

What if as you are bending down to reach for the fuel selector or the flap handle and can't reach it because of your NON giving, manually adjustable shoulder harness and you veer off of the runway (because your attention is diverted) into the ditch and go over?? Or you have adjusted it loose enough to facilite those movements and smack the (unpadded) panel with your face??

I'll go with the inertia harness any day whether it be BAS or Cessna. It stays snug when you are in any position and catches you instantly.

A loose harness is useless.

Cheeeeeep insurance if you ask me.
N2255D

Post by N2255D »

minton wrote:Just a thought:

What if as you are bending down to reach for the fuel selector or the flap handle and can't reach it because of your NON giving, manually adjustable shoulder harness and you veer off of the runway (because your attention is diverted) into the ditch and go over?? Or you have adjusted it loose enough to facilite those movements and smack the (unpadded) panel with your face??
Sounds like the easyflap pitch.

I see no need to be reaching for anything on the runway because even with an inertia reel your attention is diverted. You can what-if ourselves to death.
Walt Weaver
Spencer Airport (NC35)
canav8

Post by canav8 »

Jean by the way, I have a set of BAS in my aircraft. They are awesome to use and easy to install. Inertia reels are the only way to go. Go onto BAS website. They still have the video of the guy that went over in his 180 I believe.
52' C-170B N2713D Ser #25255
Doug
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

I had a set of solid mount sholder harnesses and replaced them with the BAS system then installed the E-Z Flap. I hated the solid sholder harness and would not use it but probably could of put up with it with the E-Z flap. I now wouldn't be without either one. The solid harness was mounted with only one 3/16 bolt where as the BAS harness is mounted with three bolts - much more solid. Look at how they are mounted and you'll figure out how to pay for them.
Scott.....53B
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

A mid-priced alternative is the Hooker harness system. No inertia reel, but a sturdier mounting than the 10-32 bolt Cessna provided in the B model. To lower the flaps with the harness snugged up, I push the flap lever button with my toe. Once it's released, I can reach down and raise the lever. There are at least three different ways to have shoulder harnesses, so you have options.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

First your '52 has the AN-3 nutplate installed in the carry through spar so installing a shoulder harness is easy. Yes it is only a 3/16 bolt but you will be killed from the impact before than bolt will shear. Yes BAS and others use a more complicated substantial system.

I would prefer ANY shoulder harness over none. I would install fixed then save for an inertia real system if I could not afford the inertia real from the start. You will not be disappointed with the inertia real system but unfortunately you would have to install or at least use the fixed version to understand how much you like the inertia real system.

BTW looking at the belt system you linked, it is NOT STC'd. It is PMA'd to replace some belts and it may replace the stock belts and harness one could have bought in the '52 and later B model but I can't tell because that chart is not given on the web page though they say it is.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Why would one be reaching for a fuel selector on takeoff or landing? and why weren't the flaps already selected/aircraft already configured?

I have ordinary shoulder harnesses which I have a total investment of about $45 each. They will keep my face off the panel as well as any other. (And the AN3 bolt which holds them to the rear spar of my B-model (as all B-models are already equipped for that) will break my collarbones and shoulders before giving way anyway.)

But for pure sophistication and ease of use...Yes, the inertial harnesses are best.

The Aircraft Spruce, the Davis, and the Wag Aero shoulder harnesses are all fine, for that design, and certainly far better than nothing. (MUCH more likely to be useful than an ELT.) IMO

Also.... the Cessna 170 does NOT require PMA or TSO'd shoulder harnesses. ANY harness is approved per FAA Advisory.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote:Also.... the Cessna 170 does NOT require PMA or TSO'd shoulder harnesses. ANY harness is approved per FAA Advisory.
You are right George but Jean777 is in Canada and may not fall under the same FAA Advisory. :wink:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
jrenwick

Post by jrenwick »

gahorn wrote:Why would one be reaching for a fuel selector on takeoff or landing? and why weren't the flaps already selected/aircraft already configured?...
Reaching the fuel selector with straight harnesses snugged up is not a problem. I do it to double-check (by feel) that it's on "Both" before landing. Reaching for the first notch of flaps during the landing approach is a problem. George, are you saying you keep the harnesses loose until you've got the initial flap setting, then tighten them before landing? That's certainly one way of doing it.
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
Jean777

Post by Jean777 »

Tank you all, for your good advice, I will think about it , sounds like the bas would be the thing to do, I just need to convince myself but in any case I will install some harness early september...A good friend of mine work at the MOT ( canadian FAA ) and he is telling me that he reads too many accidents reports were the front seats occupants end up with bad head injuries smashing on the dash despite otherwise a very survivable accident. will let you Know
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

jrenwick wrote:
gahorn wrote:Why would one be reaching for a fuel selector on takeoff or landing? and why weren't the flaps already selected/aircraft already configured?...
Reaching the fuel selector with straight harnesses snugged up is not a problem. I do it to double-check (by feel) that it's on "Both" before landing. Reaching for the first notch of flaps during the landing approach is a problem. George, are you saying you keep the harnesses loose until you've got the initial flap setting, then tighten them before landing? That's certainly one way of doing it.
The harnesses I created using Davis "Y" types do not create a problem for me. When I'm preparing for takeoff or landing I slip my right arm inside the right strap and can reach the retracted flap handle release-button just fine. I then slip my arm back behind the right strap. (The Davis straps have loops at their lower ends which allow the lower end to slide to the right, away from the buckle..... This provides plenty of room to leave/re-enter the harness even when it's properly adjusted. When raising the flaps, there is no need to read the button...simply push on the handle closer to the fuel selector until it "clicks" in the up/locked position. :D

Here's a link to where a discussion occurred regarding legality...and where I posted pics of how I accomplished the mod to my airplane: http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... er+harness
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)