Rosen sunvisors / headliner

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cmsusllc

Rosen sunvisors / headliner

Post by cmsusllc »

I finely ( after two years ) installed my headliner. ( Aircraft Spruce, wool.) After completion and admiring my work I picked up all my tools and discovered my Rosen visors still needed to be reinstalled. What has anyone done about cutting the liner to allow the back leg of the mount that goes up the back side of the spar? How did you trim it out?
Inquiring minds must know.
Scott.....53B
GAHorn

Re: Rosen sunvisors / headliner

Post by GAHorn »

Throw away the Rosens..... and SQUINT! :lol:
(The crows-feet will make you look experienced!) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
170C

Post by 170C »

Maybe I didn't install mine correctly (?), but mine don't attach on the backside (aft) side of the spar. They attach on the front of the spar where the factory sunvisors originally attached. Keep in mind my plane is a '56 172 so depending on your model 170 there may be some differences. I am sure you will get some input from other members.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

I don't know squat aobut Rosen sunvisors, so I can't help you there, but at the risk of hijacking the original intent of the thread, how did the installation of the headliner go? Pictures?
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

Well, I was going to really step out and try to post pictures to show what I did and my questions. But we are in the process of changing computers, Can't download pictures - find old ones - or half my files. Thank goodness we are well backed up. I'll see if my better half can get us back up and I'll try again.
Note to 170C. Mine mount to the bottom of the spar and the angle goes up the back side in order for the hinge point to be foreward, out of the way. I have pictures and will post as soon as I can.
Scott.....53B
runerider

Post by runerider »

I just put a set of Rosen visors in to see how they would fit, I didn't install the headliner yet so I can get some pictures posted tonight on how they are installed on a 52 B model
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
runerider

Post by runerider »

The way I'm doing mine is the visor arm comes off, make a small incision in the front side of the headliner and slip it over the bracket arm you will have to reenforce the slit in the fabric to keep it from fraying. It is a much easier job with the headliner off, but you should be able to get yours pulled back far enough to do the job. You could do the all most the same thing by slitting the headliner so the aft part of the bracket goes through, you wouldn't have to roll back the headliner but the reenforcement on the fabric would show. I had to turn the picture to crop it, the top of the picture is the right side of the aircraft and the right side is forward.
Attachments
IMG_0482.jpg
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
cmsusllc

Post by cmsusllc »

My situation = Trimming arround the vertical leg after cutting thru the headliner.
Scott.....53B
P1010003.JPG
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Use "finishing tape" available at sewing/fabric shops. It's a method of serging the edges with simple fabric tape and comes in many colors. You might make a slit in the fabric then apply the tape.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)