Tail bracket and rudder cables

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

brianwalch

Tail bracket and rudder cables

Post by brianwalch »

Hello all,

I've got a couple questions regarding the tail section... 1, at some point I need to replace the tail bracket - does anyone have information on doing this in regards to obtaining parts, recommended reinforcements, etc.? I don't see a lot on the forums but maybe I'm not searching right? Links to previous discussions would also be appreciated.
2, as I understand it the 1955 170's were built with separate cables for the rudder and tail wheel... there is one parked near mine with that configuration. I've heard there is an STC available to modify an earlier 170 with that same setup. Does anyone have information on the STC or experience with this modification?

Thanks,

Brian Walch
N1863C 1954 170B
Brian Walch
1954 170B 1863C - Anchorage, AK
lowNslow

Re: Tail bracket and rudder cables

Post by lowNslow »

Well I'll say it before George does - first get a parts manual so that you can tell us which parts you are referring to. A free downloadable parts manual is available at http://www.micro-tools.net/pdf/Cessna/
Most parts are still available from various sources i.e. cessnaparts.com , Univair, Spruce etc.
As far as the tailwheel steering, save your money - you will not get much improvement with the later tailwheel steering setup.
Karl
'53 170B N3158B SN:25400
ASW-20BL
brianwalch

Post by brianwalch »

Thanks for the response, Karl.

The part I'm referring to is the bracket and in the catalog it is P/N 0512154-1.

I found one on Univair: http://univairparts.com/shopping/produc ... ts_id=1095
Any experience with that part? Is there a comparable L-19 part?

A search on cessnaparts yields this message and no results: Supersedes to 0512000-75
Brian Walch
1954 170B 1863C - Anchorage, AK
runerider

Post by runerider »

You might want to check with airrepair.com, I just changed mine. I got one from Kevin Mayes 606 434 4065
shotgun34 L-19 #884 70-71 Chi Lang
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

The 55 (actually serial 26505) and on does use more parts for the tail wheel steering. It appears there is only one bulkhead available at station 205.812 (Fig 25) so all you would need is all the parts in Fig 65A. Don't know of an STC to do this. You could probably do it as a field modification fairly easy because it was the approved method from serial 265005 and on.

But the question is why would you want to do it if you can find all the parts. Aircraft with this type of steering are not reported to have better steering than the earlier design. Though I leave room to consider that there aren't many aircraft after 26505 and their owners probably don't have experience with the early system to report the later being a better system.

But there is something owners of the later systems are reporting about that system and that is they are seeing a cracked bulkhead where the extra pulleys required are attached. Seems over time the pull on the cable from moving the tail wheel or the tailwheel itself pulling back is just ripping the pulley attachments out of the bulkhead. Pretty sure I wouldn't want to add that to my airplane.

What is wrong with your tail wheel bracket? Is it cracked in the lower corner(s) where the flat springs enter? I'm thinking this might be caused by two things. One it is popular to use what I consider an L-19 main spring. These are thicker than the stock main spring. When this thick spring is inserted in the pack there isn't much room and they are really jammed in. Two we are seeing a lot of tailwheel spring setups with bracket item #6 and #9 Fig 26 installed upside down. This is a U shape bracket (6) and stiffener (9) which fits nicely around the bottom bracket and may help that area from cracking. There is another channel, item 8 Fig 29, that is reported to crack a lot at the tail of the channel where this u bolt and stiffener goes and I think having it installed upside down like many have it is helping this channel to crack.

As for the tail wheel bracket your looking for, the L-19 uses the same bracket but a different part number. Air Repair is a good source for L-19 parts. Tell them we sent you if you call them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

brianwalch wrote:Hello all,

I've got a couple questions regarding the tail section... 1, at some point I need to replace the tail bracket - does anyone have information on doing this in regards to obtaining parts, recommended reinforcements, etc.? I don't see a lot on the forums but maybe I'm not searching right? Links to previous discussions would also be appreciated.
2, as I understand it the 1955 170's were built with separate cables for the rudder and tail wheel... there is one parked near mine with that configuration. I've heard there is an STC available to modify an earlier 170 with that same setup. Does anyone have information on the STC or experience with this modification?

Thanks,

Brian Walch
N1863C 1954 170B
Brian, perhaps you are correct in that you didn't get lucky with your search routine. TAke a look at THIS:
http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... 2+4#p50800

I advise against wasting any time/money/effort in modifying for the later cable tailwheel steering system.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

George isn't as old as I am, but listen to him anyway!
When it comes to tail wheel steering, I've owned both types of C-170s and have never found that the later style of cabling
produced any better action. Just keep your brakes in good shape.
BL
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

What about the bracket itself.
I've read that the older bracket is weaker but, is it considered weak for regular flying?
If the old one isn't cracked or showing signs of going south; should one bother with the swap?
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

do not concern yourself with the later bracket until the early one cracks or
otherwise fails.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

bagarre wrote:What about the bracket itself.
I've read that the older bracket is weaker but, is it considered weak for regular flying?
If the old one isn't cracked or showing signs of going south; should one bother with the swap?
Here is my thoughts. The new style is suppose to be improved. Yet the new versions crack but not at the same place as the old style I believe. To be honest I'm not sure I know where the old style cracked but think it is the side.

I personally would not go through the considerable trouble of replacing a good old bracket. You might however want to consider securing the new bracket parts while they are still available.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Getting the parts while they are still available, that is good advice.

FWIW, I've never known the 170 to be a poor taxiing airplane as long as everything is set up fine.
When I first got 81D, the tailwheel was pumped full of grease and the chains were all wrong. I might as hell have had a caster back there.
But, after cleaning up the tailwheel and adjusting the chains, she handles just fine.
Even in a strong wind, I can still get her around on the ground with a blast of power and a tap on the brake.

Just my opinion. Other than a Citabria, I dont have much to compare with.