SPOT placement

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cowboy

SPOT placement

Post by cowboy »

Looking at getting a SPOT so that my wife can track me on my wanderings. Filing a flight plan which reads, "KSHR to Cloud Peak to Woodrock to Medicine Wheel to Box Canyon to..." just doesn't work. Question for those who own one; where do you place the unit for best tracking mode?
Jeff
I'm not flying, I'm falling with style!
jrenwick

Re: SPOT placement

Post by jrenwick »

cowboy wrote:Looking at getting a SPOT so that my wife can track me on my wanderings. Filing a flight plan which reads, "KSHR to Cloud Peak to Woodrock to Medicine Wheel to Box Canyon to..." just doesn't work. Question for those who own one; where do you place the unit for best tracking mode?
When I used mine, I just laid it on top of the instrument panel. That seemed to work well, when I remembered to turn it on. :oops:
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
robw56

Post by robw56 »

Yeah I just keep mine in the right hand corner of the windshield on top of the panel. One thing to keep in mind is it needs to be 12 inches away from other GPS devices.
akviperdriver

Post by akviperdriver »

My wife found that the SPOT fits in the side ashtrays nicely (as does an iphone), and we never had any issues tracking through the majority of Alaska. We had no tracking issues on a flight from Alaska to Texas. We have found that the newer SPOT that can bluetooth with a smartphone doesn't track as well as the 2nd generation SPOT.

FWIW,
Chris
Chris Perkins
N8122A '52 170B
CFI, CFI-I, SEL, SES