Smart Phone Apps

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

170C

Smart Phone Apps

Post by 170C »

As a new owner of an iPhone, I now have to determine what apps I think I want. For quite some time I have seen fellow pilots using their smart phones (and iPads) to look at vrs weather sites as well as local, regional, national radar, etc. I know Foreflight is available for about $80/yr, but I know there must be some good ones for more reasonable prices. I would appreciate any suggestions you 170ers might have.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
jrenwick

Re: Smart Phone Apps

Post by jrenwick »

I've used CoPilot for X-C planning for about 10 years now, first on Palm OS, now on iPhone. Excellent software!

I liked the Palm version better, though. It had some features the iPhone version lacks, e.g. producing a list of airports that are 1/2 way there, 1/3 of the way there, or what ever you need. Also telling me where my track line is located on the next chart when it goes from one sectional to another.

But the iPhone version has access to en route weather forecasts, so it can automatically pull up winds aloft for the planned altitude and give me heading and ground speed.

NavMonster.com is great, but you have to have an internet connection to use it....
John Renwick
Minneapolis, MN
Former owner, '55 C-170B, N4401B
'42 J-3 Cub, N62088
'50 Swift GC-1B, N2431B, Oshkosh 2009 Outstanding Swift Award, 2016 Best Continuously Maintained Swift
KS170A

Post by KS170A »

170C wrote:I know Foreflight is available for about $80/yr, but I know there must be some good ones for more reasonable prices. I would appreciate any suggestions you 170ers might have.
The Foreflight app is free, along with it's features. Where the price comes in is for the ability to download and save all the data you select. If you only want something to do pre-flight planning with, in a location where you can use your iPhone's 3G or wi-fi, you can download all you want but you won't be able to see the maps when you put the phone in airplane mode since the 3G and wifi are disabled.

I also have apps for FltPlan Mobile (gateway to fltplan.com), DTC DUAT, and AeroWeather Lite, all of which are free.
--Josh
1950 170A
Hawkeyenfo

Post by Hawkeyenfo »

How about Droid apps?
Fly Navy !!!!

1941 Boeing PT-13D Stearman
1952 Cessna 170B
1960 Piper Aztec (PA23-250)
Bramlett

Post by Bramlett »

I have an ipad and foreflight. Its the reason i purchased an iPad. I love foreflight and use it for my preflight planning. I don't use it much in the airplane as i still use paper charts. When i'm on the ground foreflight is an excellent application and fun to play with thinking of all the places i want to go and planning the routes out.

As for droid apps. Check out Avilution. That is a pretty nice set of apps for the android application. I've used them on my droid before I got an iPhone to go with my ipad.
Regards,

Patrick

Stable fall, face down, frog modified
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

I bought an iPad a year ago specifically for aircraft use.
In flight, the glare off the screen is too much for me. Even with a $40.00 anti-glare covering, I didn't find it very useful on a sunny day.

For flight planning and weather briefing, I find it incredibly useful.
I bounce between ForeFlight and the Garmin PilotCast software.
I like PilotCast's weather layout better but, their flight filing is a real PITA. Being in the DC SFRA, I have to file even to do pattern work and ForeFlight makes that much easier.