windshield covers

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

windshield covers

Post by Dave Clark »

Ever since I left the 195 out in the sun at San Diego one weekend and cooked my Loran causing an expensive repair I have had something to keep the temperatures down while parked outside. I bought an exterior fitted white sunbrella cover with satin lining for the 195 wich worked so well that I did the same for the 181. Both of these were from Kennon.

When I got the 170 four years ago I decided to try the reflective bubble type on the interior also bought from Kennon. After about two summers use (the airplane is outside all Summer here in WA) I noticed that the cover was creating large areas of very fine scratching. My wiindshield had stripper etching around the edges so I was not too worried about it as I planned to change it anyway. But I would recommend against this type of sunshield. I never got any scratching before using the satin lined exterior type.

This Spring with the new winshield installed I ordered the satin lined cover from Kennon. When I got it it did not lay down properly so that it without a snug fit it could have allowed dirt to get between it and the windshield. Since all the other ones fit perfectly I contacted Dawn at Kennon and sent her pictures. She and her company are a first class act. She had me send it back then sent me another brand new one a few weeks later that was built from a completely new pattern. To make a long story shorter it now has a perfect fit and they have a good pattern. I sent the old one back which they will probably discount out and would be good for infrequent use. I recommend this company wholeheartedly. They stand behind what they sell.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Me Too! Kennon is really GREAT to deal with.

Novus plastic polish #2 will remove those type of scracthes. #3 will get out even worse, and regular use of #1 will help to prevent them from occuring in the first place.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There's nothing harder on an airplane than just sittin' around. (Especially outside.)
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Agreed George. A lot of people don't understand that infrequent use is hard on nearly everything in the plane. Although it's outside all Summer it gets flown at least a couple of times a week off Island for groceries or Shrimp bait or something. The problem is it's only about 20 minutes each way to Bellingham from startup to shutdown so it never gets hot for long. I'll pull out he oil and replace every six weeks or so and change the filter at 25 hours just because it's a cheap way to help it a little. It's pretty dry here for the four months we're here. We also make a few longer trips each Summer. Of course in AZ in the hangar it's like in a suspended state. Plus the flights we take in AZ are longer.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
JDH

Post by JDH »

Dang! Dave, here I was going to volunteer a couple of weeks in January-February to go visit you in AZ and put on a few hours a week on your machine, so it would get its exercise. I was ready to sacrifice the -25 to -40º weather and the shovelling to help out a fellow 170 owner, but then you tell us that you fly her more when South... JD
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

JD

Come on down. We let Canadian snowbirds in AZ also. Last Winter the plane was laid up for a long time because of the engine conversion and other work but now with the Lycoming I'll be flying it much more than before in the high hot sunny AZ. I hope to make the Copperstate fly in in early October. Bring your own plane though, mine is kinda like my wife or toothbrush.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180