Can I save my Narco Antenna?

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

paulbritton88

Can I save my Narco Antenna?

Post by paulbritton88 »

I really like the look of my cool old Narco Nav antenna. However, my VOR reception stinks. I've tried two radios. The best I can get is 15 miles. I put in a new cable from the Nav/COM to the antenna, and rebuilt the balun inside the antenna using this diagram:
loop balun.jpg
My Avionics guy says scrap it and hang one on the tail. I really don't want to do that. WIll a new Comant CI-158 fit if I machine out the top of the mast to accomodate it? Anyone try this already??

Re: Can I save my Narco Antenna?

Post by GAHorn »

Your avionics guy is full of himself.
Antennas are simple and easy to maintain and repair.
They are not dark magic.
OHM OUT your narco for shorts...then look elsewhere
for your reception problem.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I guess if you're going to file and fly IFR in the existing system you'll need that VOR, otherwise I'd get rid of it and go GPS which will give you azimuth and with true range, not slant range like a DME.
In view of the apparent upcoming demise of the VOR system, I don't believe I'd spend much money on getting it fixed.

I like to run on Mogas, too!
BL
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Your Narco antenna can and should be able to work like new. I did switch from the Narco antenna to one on the tail once. It's not as easy as you think. I wouldn't do it again unless I had a really good reason and just getting rid of the Narco antenna is not one of them.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

I recently refurbished my Narco antenna as well. I assume you have already done so, but be sure you thoroughly clean the "sockets" where the antenna ears enter the top of the mast. I cleaned my with a bead blaster as well as all the connections inside. Never had a problem with reception. You might consider some grease or something to prevent corrosion on the connection points. I love the look of that old thing!
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

gahorn wrote:Your avionics guy is full of himself.
Antennas are simple and easy to maintain and repair.
They are not dark magic.
OHM OUT your narco for shorts...then look elsewhere
for your reception problem.
I agree with George, these antennas are all built the same no matter if they are fifty years old or just off the shelf. Clean connections, grounds and good lead wire is the key......I think the old ones are cool looking also. I just cleaned and painted mine.
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
paulbritton88

Post by paulbritton88 »

LBPilot82 wrote:I recently refurbished my Narco antenna as well. I assume you have already done so, but be sure you thoroughly clean the "sockets" where the antenna ears enter the top of the mast. I cleaned my with a bead blaster as well as all the connections inside. Never had a problem with reception. You might consider some grease or something to prevent corrosion on the connection points. I love the look of that old thing!

Did you make a new balun or stick a "modern" one inside the top of the mast?

Post by LBPilot82 »

No, I re-used all the old stuff. Just cleaned everything well, applied some corrosion proofing to the connectors, and shot a coat of paint. I used some light steel wool to clean up the antenna ears. I ended up hand painting the lettering with black over the white base (I must say.. it came out pretty nice!!) 8)
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Did you retain the original RCA connector..... or did you install a BNC ?
Have you checked it for shorts and continuity?
If it does not"ring out"....then I would suspect the element ferrules before the old balun,
and yet not be afraid to make
a new one from new materials.
Be careful using anti-corrosive.
Many are conductive and you don't want to affect the
impedance.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
paulbritton88

Post by paulbritton88 »

New BNC connector. However, I think I need to make the balun longer. Everything I have read suggests the balun length should be the same as the dipole antenna length.

Here's the current plan:
Make a new balun, 26" long. It won't all fit inside the antenna mast, but so be it. New RG-400 shielded line from the balun to the back of the Nav Com.

I'll follow this set of directions:
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/BA ... ation.html

I wonder if, it needs to be grounded at the antenna base, or is the ground through the Nav/Com sufficent? I might just build it wtihout a ground, first and see how it works.

I stripped and painted it already.
NarcoAnt.jpg

Post by paulbritton88 »

OK, The Nav/Com is back from the shop. Still bad reception.
I've changed the Balun, twice, using both of the above designs.
Tried two know good KX-170Bs and still have the same results:
Weak reception. Scratchy Voice/Indent. Wavering Course Indicator.

The COAX from the radio to the antenna shows good connectivity on the center wire and the shield.
The Nav/Com is good.

So,
The way I see it, my problem is in the rack/connector or the antenna.

The bullet shaped ferrules look to be insulated with a brass interior. I've cleaned them. Is there a chance the exterior sleeve is conducting?
I've been told to "ring out" the antenna.
Texas public school educated here..... Just how does one "ring out" an antenna?

Post by GAHorn »

Using a battery-powered "buzzer" or "bell" with leads...an electrician will "ring" out a device (check it for shorts, connectivity, continuity, etc.)
paulbritton88

Post by paulbritton88 »

So the answer is Yes.
It turns out that the KI-208 Course Indicator, my (ex) avionics guy (long story) sold me and installed was the culprit.
I ordered another C.I., installed it and voila!

I can pick up every VOR within 60 miles at pattern altitude.
Just in time. My student starts cross-country training this week.

Thanks for the help guys!

Post by GAHorn »

Sooooo....Moral of story- Original, Made in America, properly maintained is Provender!

Good Job! (and CONGRATULATIONS!)
LBPilot82

Post by LBPilot82 »

Paul, did you end up going with a 26" balun? If so, wouldn't the excess stick out the bottom and hit the headliner? It seems other sources recommend a 16" balun measured from the top of the loop to the point where the shields are connected at the base. From what I gather, the 16" dimension is derived from calculating 1/4 of the average wavelength used from 108.0-117.95mhz. My narco which appears to have the original balun (with some previous connector modifications) measures 17". I am making a new one and could easily duplicate my balun, but curiosity has got the best of me. Anyone else an expert in the matter??
Richard Dach
49' A Model N9007A
SN 18762