New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby thejetjerk » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:53 am

The issue still exists, the spring set I purchased from Univair last month (March 2021) would not fit. My Ap/IA spend a lot of time dealing with it. :(
User avatar
thejetjerk
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 pm
Location: RCKH

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby c170b53 » Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:44 am

Might he have tried just replacing a new main leaf with the old spring set ?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
User avatar
c170b53
 
Posts: 2209
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2002 8:01 pm
Location: Vancouver B.C.

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby thejetjerk » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:42 am

Once I was aware of the issue, I gave my IA the option to use just the main leaf from the set, but he has already managed to get the new spring set to fit.
User avatar
thejetjerk
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:09 pm
Location: RCKH

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby GAHorn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:16 pm

It is virtually impossible....that the entire spring-set needs replacement. The only spring which can fail to hold the tailwheel to the airpalne...is the ONLY spring that is attached to the tailwheel..... and that is the MAIN (lowest) spring.

It is more likely to cause damage to your airplane by forcing-fitting en entire spring-stack than it would to only replace the one spring which really matters in this.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
User avatar
GAHorn
 
Posts: 19420
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Spicewood (Austin), Texas

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby dstates » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:25 pm

GAHorn wrote:It is virtually impossible....that the entire spring-set needs replacement. The only spring which can fail to hold the tailwheel to the airpalne...is the ONLY spring that is attached to the tailwheel..... and that is the MAIN (lowest) spring.

It is more likely to cause damage to your airplane by forcing-fitting en entire spring-stack than it would to only replace the one spring which really matters in this.


I think all 4 of mine needed to be replaced :wink: Maybe I could have kept the smallest one.

My tail had the old bracket so I could handle the thicker springs.
Attachments
leaf_springs.jpeg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
User avatar
dstates
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:50 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby mmcmillan2 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:54 pm

Yea, they dun wore out. Is that a tail tie down eyelet?? Where’d ya get it from?
170B owner, KCLL, CFI(I)
mmcmillan2
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:30 pm

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby dstates » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:17 pm

mmcmillan2 wrote: Is that a tail tie down eyelet?? Where’d ya get it from?


Yes, good eyes. It is from Air Repair (their info below). I ended up not using it because I have a Maule tailwheel and it doesn't fit (either orientation) with the cap on the top of the tailwheel (red circled area in picture). I think it only really works with the Scott tailwheel. I think it was $20+ for the part and another $15-20 for shipping.

Air Repair, Inc 662-846-0228, L-19 PN 0642105, https://www.airrepairinc.com/cessna-l-19.html

maule_tailwheel.jpg
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
User avatar
dstates
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:50 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby GAHorn » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:47 pm

dstates wrote:
GAHorn wrote:It is virtually impossible....that the entire spring-set needs replacement. The only spring which can fail to hold the tailwheel to the airpalne...is the ONLY spring that is attached to the tailwheel..... and that is the MAIN (lowest) spring.

It is more likely to cause damage to your airplane by forcing-fitting en entire spring-stack than it would to only replace the one spring which really matters in this.


I think all 4 of mine needed to be replaced :wink: Maybe I could have kept the smallest one.

My tail had the old bracket so I could handle the thicker springs.


I stand corrected. Your previous spring stack was clearly abused above/beyond the ordinary and should have been replaced even earlier.

My previous comment was made thinking of our recommendation for 500-hour preventive maintenance in ordinary use ... :wink:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
User avatar
GAHorn
 
Posts: 19420
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:45 pm
Location: Spicewood (Austin), Texas

Re: New Tailwheel Leaf Springs too thick

Postby dstates » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:09 pm

GAHorn wrote:
dstates wrote:
GAHorn wrote:It is virtually impossible....that the entire spring-set needs replacement. The only spring which can fail to hold the tailwheel to the airpalne...is the ONLY spring that is attached to the tailwheel..... and that is the MAIN (lowest) spring.

It is more likely to cause damage to your airplane by forcing-fitting en entire spring-stack than it would to only replace the one spring which really matters in this.


I think all 4 of mine needed to be replaced :wink: Maybe I could have kept the smallest one.

My tail had the old bracket so I could handle the thicker springs.


I stand corrected. Your previous spring stack was clearly abused above/beyond the ordinary and should have been replaced even earlier.

My previous comment was made thinking of our recommendation for 500-hour preventive maintenance in ordinary use ... :wink:


Yeah, I figured I had you with that one. George... :D Replacing those springs was one of my very first repairs on my plane (shortly after replacing a couple tires and tubes).
N1235D - 1951 170A - SN: 20118
User avatar
dstates
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:50 pm
Location: Geneseo, IL

Previous

Return to The Hangar

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests