Avcon lord mounts and alignment??

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

shortfielder

Avcon lord mounts and alignment??

Post by shortfielder »

I think the engine is sagging a little in my 170, Guessing the isolators are shot. Curious what folks prefer for isolators. lso curious about the alignment. I am guessing that the centerline of the crankshaft should be parralell to the angle of the upper door frame. I am a couple degrees low now. Air filter bracket is rubbing on the cowl and so is the exhaust stack. Thought I would put some new isolators in and see how it lines up.
Also curious if anyone makes a good abrasion boot for the horiz. stab.

Thanks Gary
N419A

Re: Avcon lord mounts and alignment??

Post by N419A »

Gary, how do the rubber bushings between the motor mount and firewall look the lowers get compressed after awhile letting the engine sag. A lot of folk go to the solid aluminum 180/185 bushings. Just another thing to check. Also, I don't think the angle you mention is the same, I know the cub's engines point down considerably. I was just looking at the Avcon drawings and the prop flange and fire wall are not parallel (engine pointing down). Don't know if that is comparative to the center line of the crank and door jam. I recommend the 180/185 stab boot its thicker on the leading edge more protection from the rocks, but being Cessna there spendy.

Do you have the Avcon drawings? I can send them if needed.

Paul.
53' 170B
180+HP IO360M1B (StootS conversion), 80" Hartzell, Sportsman Cuff, Super Drooper tips, V-Brace, Selkirk X baggage, AK Bushwheels all around.
shortfielder

Post by shortfielder »

Good morning Paul
The bushings between the mount and the firewall at a glance look OK, but I think the Alum. ones would be better and will change them.
I don't have the drawings and would like to have them.
I haven't checked the firewall to the flange angle but I will.
The leading edge on the 170 is much heavier than the one on the 180, but I would still prefer the heavier boot like what's on the 180. I thought I read awhile back where MTV was saying some guy in Anchorage had the heavier boots for the 180. The 170 horiz. stab. on the 170 has more curve to it than the one on the 180 and I wasn't sure how the 180 boot would conform to that radius. I was hoping that there may be a heavier boot out there preformed to the curve of the 170 horiz. stab.

Thanks Gary
shortfielder

Post by shortfielder »

Hey Paul
I'm no cub pro, but when they do the thrust line mod, doesn't that raise the front of the engine, putting the line of the crank more in line with the direction of flight reducing drag and gaining them some speed??
I would suspect it might negatively affect the t/o performance some, but have never heard anyone mention that, so maybe not???.
Gary
N419A

Post by N419A »

Correct, before the kit came out I know guys that would stack extra washers on the bottom, or at least until the had cowling conflicts. I think on Stoots's engine mount the engine longitudinal axis is slightly down and to the right from the AC's axis. The degree or so to the right, I guess helps oppose the left turning tendency. I'm not sure what lord mounts the Avcon calls for but they were pretty proud of the ones for my conversion. I'll shoot you an email with the drawings.

Paul
53' 170B
180+HP IO360M1B (StootS conversion), 80" Hartzell, Sportsman Cuff, Super Drooper tips, V-Brace, Selkirk X baggage, AK Bushwheels all around.