C170, rear seat removal/installation !!

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Alan

C170, rear seat removal/installation !!

Post by Alan »

I have been maintaining my 52 170B for 15 years now. Every year the requirement to remove back seat for annual
or 100 hour inspection purposes is driving me crazy, not to mention the risk of scratching paint and perforating and breaking aft windows--again-- !! Can it be only me ?

I have been in contact with member "Bill" in Alaska, a 170 owner, and he mentioned there may be some 170 association information available for doing this task another way. That way is to replace the seat back bolts that mount it to the seat bottom with suitable clevis pins which in turn are retained simple lynch pins. Removing and installing the seat in two sections and installling same way is made muchg simpler.

If any information is available I would very much appreciate advice and guidance and hardware used etc...

Thanks for helping me go nuts again !1

Regards

Alan
CF-FVD
alan.acleod@sympatico.ca
DaveF

Re: C170, rear seat removal/installation !!

Post by DaveF »

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Alan, you are not alone. The key in my mind and experience is splitting the back of the seat from the bottom. The job becomes much more manageable. After splitting the seat, removing one arm rest at the least makes removal of the bottom easier.

You have already described how most of us accomplish splitting the seat by replacing the bolts with clevis and linch pins. In order to do this you need to have access behind the upholstery in the lower seat back corners in the back of the seat. On my first 170 the back of the seat had a cover and this access was nothing more than a few cut stitches so a finger or two could get in. My current 170 seat back has no back cover so removing the bolt and inserting the pin is easy.

Removing the seat back is as simple as pulling the linch pins with a needle nose then sliding the pin in and the back is off. It is so easy you actually need to take care you maneuver the seat back out without hitting something. What I'm saying is the job is so much easier but some care still needs to take place.

I have also seen suitable length drilled AN bolts with a linch pin rather than a clevis pin.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
Alan

Post by Alan »

Bruce:
Dave:
Thanks for both reply and the valuable information. I have the seat removed as of this morning---and it will be the last time we struggle doing it that way ! It will be re-installed in two sections !!

I can't imagine how much mumbling and groaning over the years I did with that seat. All the time the answer was at my fingertips.

Thanks again for your info and assistance.

Alan
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

This would make a great little STC if someone wanted to take the time.
I replaced mine with pins a few years ago and now, rear seat removal is almost simple :)
C170U2

Post by C170U2 »

Wow, great advice. I have wrestled mine around a few times and what a pain. I guess it's off to the hardware store today!
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

I have the pin extended so I don't have to reach so far to the frame to enter the pin. I also have clip pins to hold .

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

In another thread I posted a pic of how I did mine with a pin:

http://www.cessna170.org/forums/viewtop ... +seat+back

Here is the pic: Image
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Alan

Post by Alan »

Thanks George:
I will plan to use this pin and as soon as I have them the job will finally be done.

Thanks to all who offered advice and experience.

Alan
CF-FVD
# 6481