Time for tires

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Onewinglo

Time for tires

Post by Onewinglo »

After a series of touch and gos yesterday I felt the need for new tires. The local mechanic / flight school owner recommended Monster Retreads due to all my practice on hard surfaces. Another mechanic on the field ( and 170 Association member) offered to instruct me on the process at his shop Saturday. He recommended I repack the wheel bearings also and skip that step at annual in October...
Attachments
image.jpg
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
bagarre

Re: Time for tires

Post by bagarre »

I've had a set of re-treads on for 4 years now. They seem to do just fine.

Ask your mechanic to show you how to hand pack the bearings. It builds character :)

Also, clean up the axle axle and check for cracks while you're in there.

Congrats!
edbooth

Post by edbooth »

For the last few years I have been using the retreads from Desser on the 170 & RV-7. I have not kept track of the total number of landings, etc, but in my experience they seem to last almost twice as long as the first runs.....maybe I'm getting better at landing, who knows... :D
Ed Booth, 170-B and RV-7 Driver
Heflin

Post by Heflin »

I have a set of Monster retreads that are still in the package. 6.00 x 6. You can have them for $100. I'm changing tire size and don't need these.
ISAIAH 40:31
170C

Post by 170C »

Never tried retreads, but apparently many have and like them. Guess it depends upon costs new vs retreads. I have had good success with tires from Desser in Memphis. Their Classics look good and so far no complaints with second set that I have had. Haven't chk'd number of landings per set. Tailwheel tires and tubes seem to be more of a challenge.
OLE POKEY
170C
Director:
2012-2018
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

bagarre wrote:
Ask your mechanic to show you how to hand pack the bearings. It builds character!
Yes hand packing wheel bearings is responsible for most of my character! I grew up in a shop and one of my jobs as a youngster was sitting on a stool and packing huge truck wheel bearings.
I think I'll wear gloves this time.
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm not writing against re-treads... but do wish to mention that the carcass on re-treads likely has an older mfr'g date than fresh/new tires.
I personally don't wear out treads too often (only two sets of tires in 12 years) and my concern is the chronological age of the casings of the tires.
I don't feel that tires are where I want to save my money....however, if you do a lot of training on pavement, they may save you money...but how much...compared to the damage a failed carcass can create?

Just thinkin'...
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Be sure to check your alignment, it should be 0-1/16 toe-in (lots of threads on this with-in the forum). I tweaked mine to be exactly zero, and my tires last practically forever compared to before. I used to rotate each tire ( split the halves and reverse the tire) every annual but only need to do it every three years now. This is with an average of 100 hours per year, maybe a third of my landings are on grass.

Joe
ghostflyer

Post by ghostflyer »

Tires are one of the most important part of the aircraft. If they give up (blow out ) you will have a bad,bad day. I have seen people keep using the tube over and over again. If you feel or see black rubber dust on your tube when changing the tire ,well it's time to change the tube. Tubes cost nearly what a tire costs but it's a good insurance policy to put a new tube on when changing a tire.
I will not purchase a recap tire and only buy new. i only use Micherlin tires and tubes. Shame they do not produce the tail wheel tire . This area of town gets a beating on most days . Tire pressure is something that is forgotten also . I,have written in black textra pen the pressure of the tire on the rim of the wheel next to the valve stem to remind myself and others of the correct pressure.
Joe Moilanen

Post by Joe Moilanen »

Aryana wrote:Setting the proper camber at your normal flying weight is just as important as the toe in for eliminating the need to flip tires.
So true Aryana, but camber is pretty much a "ball-park" setting as it is ever-changing in our gear legs. Camber is way off when you first touch down anyway, and that is a rubber scrubbing event while they spin up and the tires become weighted and the wings quit doing their job. I think alignment should probably be the first thing to be addressed, since camber will change while rolling if alignment is out. My plane was waaayy out of alignment when I first got it. It was first brought to my attention when I pushed it back into the hanger, the wheels splayed way out, and when I pushed it out the wheels walked in towards each other.

Joe
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

I installed a new set of Monster Retreads with Leak Guard tubes today. It was a lot of work but a good experience overall. Cleaning and inspecting everything for cracks and flaws took a bit of extra time but I'm sure everything is in order. I had one A&P and two other pilots helping me by shouting things like "Are you still working the same wheel? This ain't an annual inspection you know... Do you plan to finish today?
Yep, those guys are great.
Attachments
image.jpg
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Don't wait so long next time.... When it gets into the cord.... that's dangerous to your wallet...if you're lucky.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)