Tailwheel Steering Spring Kit

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Onewinglo

Tailwheel Steering Spring Kit

Post by Onewinglo »

Guys,
The tailwheel spring kit I ordered from Air Repair (3239) is labeled
“Note: For Use With Scott 3200 (8” pneumatics) Tail Wheel Assembly”. I don’t think I have an 8” tailwheel – Is this the correct spring kit for my 170?
Tailwheel Spring kit.jpg
Thanks,
JP
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
bagarre

Re: Tailwheel Steering Spring Kit

Post by bagarre »

Looks like the same thing that's on my tail.
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Aryana wrote:Those are the correct springs. Just curious, how much did Air Repair charge you for them?
Spring Kit was $86.22 if you can believe that. The 1/4" U bolt was $38.50. Replacing the steering springs, leaf springs, new eyebolt and most of the hardware will total North of $400, and all the tailwheel gets is a fresh squirt of greese!
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

If you want to be depressed, disconnect the springs all together and go taxi around.
not much different :wink:
DaveF

Post by DaveF »

bagarre wrote:If you want to be depressed, disconnect the springs all together and go taxi around.
not much different :wink:
Interesting experiment! It shows that my efforts to improve steering by running higher tire pressure and using moly grease on the friction plate are doomed to failure.

Anyway, things could be worse. Nose gear is much more expensive to maintain. Shimmy dampers, shim kits, strut overhauls, and strut rechroming all cost a lot more than a few springs.
Onewinglo

Post by Onewinglo »

DaveF wrote:Anyway, things could be worse. Nose gear is much more expensive to maintain. Shimmy dampers, shim kits, strut overhauls, and strut rechroming all cost a lot more than a few springs.
Ok, Im feeling a little better now.
Thanks Dave!
C170A N1714D
My First Airplane!