Fuel Selector Valve

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

U2Hoog

Fuel Selector Valve

Post by U2Hoog »

Hi all,

Okay we're revisiting this topic. After multiple attempts to rebuild the old, oft rebuilt fuel selector valve, my A&P advises we deep six it. Now, I'm left trying to figure out what to put in to its place. Anyone have suggestions on a newer model that has either an stc or 337?

"Hoog"
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

It depends upon which serial/model aircraft you have. The original "Weatherhead" fuel selectors are available from Aircraft Spruce very reasonable. 877/477-7823
U2Hoog

Serial / Model

Post by U2Hoog »

Okay!

Serial is 18244 and Model is 170 (as opposed to 170A or 170B!) -- but then I guess I don't have to explain that to you, unlike most people!!

I'm off to check the Spruce catalog. :D
Hoog
U2Hoog

Scratching my head

Post by U2Hoog »

Okay, so I found the fuel valves .. but I'm being a little stupid this late at night. Weatherhead fuel shut-off valve I see two models. 6749 and 6747. How can I tell what I need? My old valve, which I don't have with me at the moment, had left / right / both / off positions. I'm trying to decipher from the catalog which that would be. I didn't realize that WEATHERHEAD was the original! And you're right, the price is VERY reasonable.
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

I just paid $570 for a fuel selector valve plus lots of labor to R&R !!!!!!!
Did I make a mistake?
I just completed the annual (Mother of annuals) and I did have some issues that I left undone last year when doing the overhaul and restoration of firewall forward and panel work.. I dropped another $5K into bird. I hope that's it for the restoration and now if I had any money left I would like to paint the ole girl.

No fuel money in Mississippi
U2Hoog

Fuel Valve

Post by U2Hoog »

Curt,

What fuel selector did you buy? My A&P was a little dubious about the weatherhead valve. In any event, my annual should be done tomorrow, and I'll let you know the result.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I believe the pn for the Weatherhead (early airplanes) is Spruce's 6749. But I got this info from another 170 owner who used that item. Looking at the catalog, I see they claim it has 1/4" ports. I believe the 170 used AN816-6D fittings, which would be 3/8". You might want to confirm this with Spruce. (Perhaps Weatherhead makes a 3/8" also?)
Your A&P will have to inspect the part and determine it's suitability. gh
scott

fuel valves rant!

Post by scott »

Curtiss
I would like to know where you got the expensive fuel valve. At first glance it looks like you paid about $540 for the little paper 8130 tag that comes with a PMA TSO part.
However things are not allways so simple. The original fuel valve in a 170 was made before PMA's and TSO's existed Clyde Cessna probably looked at a few valves and said "this one will do" and presto! An aircraft part was born.
You can look at the 30 dollar valve from Spruce and say the same thing as Clyde did, that is, If you can ignore 50 years of FAA "progress" and the fact that the center of the valve is plastic not brass.
Plastic valves are progress as well unless you intend to stay in the good graces of the FAA and do not live in Alaska.(The last place you can get a field approval without 6 months of paperwork and a D.E.R.)
ALL the 170s and PA20-22s I work on have given me headaches with the fuel valve (Pipers have an AD applied to this unit).
Univair will sell you a Piper fuel valve but they do not carry a 170 fuel valve.
This valve needs replaced with a more modern design similar to the 172 and 182. Otherwise you must remove it and lubricate it every couple years to prevent leaks and binding.
You must drain all the fuel and grow extra joints in your fingers for this job.
$570 dollars is a bargain compared to dealing a leaking or frozen fuel valve and the yearly maintenance requirement.
A new one will probably last 3 to 5 years before requiring service.
Where can I get one !

Scott
48rwflyboy

Fuel Selector Valve - original part 0511122 for '48 ragwing

Post by 48rwflyboy »

U2Hoog wrote:Hi all,

Okay we're revisiting this topic. After multiple attempts to rebuild the old, oft rebuilt fuel selector valve, my A&P advises we deep six it. Now, I'm left trying to figure out what to put in to its place. Anyone have suggestions on a newer model that has either an stc or 337?

"Hoog"
gahorn wrote:I believe the pn for the Weatherhead (early airplanes) is Spruce's 6749. But I got this info from another 170 owner who used that item. Looking at the catalog, I see they claim it has 1/4" ports. I believe the 170 used AN816-6D fittings, which would be 3/8". You might want to confirm this with Spruce. (Perhaps Weatherhead makes a 3/8" also?)
Your A&P will have to inspect the part and determine it's suitability. gh
Very old thread but now I'm looking at replacing mine (detents worn out beyond repair - no clicks felt on valve position - opened valve and not repairable). The Cessna replacement SK170-14-1 is $3,441 (Yikes). The original sure looks like the Aircraft Spruce 6749 although no internal specs can be found to prove it works the same way or is the brass plug type. Has anyone used the Spruce valve successfully?http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/whfsv.php

I sure appreciate any feedback on this old thread.
Ernie
sfarringer

Re: Fuel Selector Valve

Post by sfarringer »

I think you will find that the 6749 valve is not a drop in replacement.
*It has a Delrin spool (which some would view as an improvement).
*I believe that it will give "Off-Left-Right", but no "Both" position. (Adding an extra hole to the Delrin spool would give the "Both" feature.)
*I believe that some cutting and filing of the stem would be required to mate with the C170 control shaft.

It could be a functional valve with some modification, but I am not aware of any approval basis.
Ragwing S/N 18073
48rwflyboy

Post by 48rwflyboy »

sfarringer wrote:I think you will find that the 6749 valve is not a drop in replacement.
*It has a Delrin spool (which some would view as an improvement).
*I believe that it will give "Off-Left-Right", but no "Both" position. (Adding an extra hole to the Delrin spool would give the "Both" feature.)
*I believe that some cutting and filing of the stem would be required to mate with the C170 control shaft.

It could be a functional valve with some modification, but I am not aware of any approval basis.
I appreciate your comments and it sounds like you have one of these and perhaps taken it apart? The idea of modifying it probably is out (trying to find a direct replacement to avoid non-approved types). I might try some of the junk yards but that is a real gamble.

Ernie
sfarringer

Post by sfarringer »

Yes, I bought one a number of years ago, but it was not quite what I had hoped for. Pretty sure I no longer have it laying around.
Ragwing S/N 18073
wabuchanan

Post by wabuchanan »

If you look at this 2015 thread, Gahorn ( George ) has a very informative post near the end of the page that shows another Spruce valve and also gives you the AC # that "may" give you some traction with authorization for using and modifying the part on the A models.

You may find the AC helpful in your situation as well.

http://cessna170.org/forums/viewtopic.p ... s&start=15
1950 170A N5776C SN:19730
48rwflyboy

Post by 48rwflyboy »

All of your responces are simply incredible. Thank you! Best thing I ever did was join TIC170A! Looking closer at the Spruce option. That just might be a solution with minor modifications. Worth a try at such a good price.