How to set a big-@$$ rivet

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

n2582d

Re: How to set a big-@$$ rivet

Post by n2582d »

cessna170bdriver wrote:How would YOU set a rivet like this?
On a part like a strut I'd be tempted to try a giant rivet squeezer -- a hydraulic press.
cessna170bdriver wrote:They are a bit on the uncommon side in that they have an 82-degree head angle rather than 100.
I've never heard of a 426 rivet being anything other than 100-degrees. Quite astute for Del to notice the difference. Not to be nit-picky but based on figure 2 of this restricted wartime report I think the hole for the rivet might be 82 degrees while the rivet is 78 degrees. :lol: What I found most interesting in this report was that the tightest joint was made by driving a round head rivet from the opposite side so that the shop head filled the countersink.
VIEWING RESTRICTED TO C-170 ASSOCIATION MEMBERS ONLY!
VIEWING RESTRICTED TO C-170 ASSOCIATION MEMBERS ONLY!
Metal Master wrote:
bagarre wrote: Both my '52s have hi-locks.
Hi-locs are threaded fasteners. The original fasteners were Hi-shear rivets with a driven collar.
From the 1996 and on Single Engine Models 172, 182, … Maintenance Manual, Chap. 51 4.C.(1) "It is permissible to replace Hi-Shear rivets with Hi-Lok bolts of the same material, diameter and grip length."
Gary
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Most excellent Gary, Hi-shear replacement; that was going to be my next question to Jim ( Not in the third person).
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

n2582d wrote:
cessna170bdriver wrote:How would YOU set a rivet like this?
On a part like a strut I'd be tempted to try a giant rivet squeezer -- a hydraulic press.
cessna170bdriver wrote:They are a bit on the uncommon side in that they have an 82-degree head angle rather than 100.
I've never heard of a 426 rivet being anything other than 100-degrees. Quite astute for Del to notice the difference. Not to be nit-picky but based on figure 2 of this restricted wartime report I think the hole for the rivet might be 82 degrees while the rivet is 78 degrees. :lol: What I found most interesting in this report was that the tightest joint was made by driving a round head rivet from the opposite side so that the shop head filled the countersink.
Report.jpg
Metal Master wrote:
bagarre wrote: Both my '52s have hi-locks.
Hi-locs are threaded fasteners. The original fasteners were Hi-shear rivets with a driven collar.
From the 1996 and on Single Engine Models 172, 182, … Maintenance Manual, Chap. 51 4.C.(1) "It is permissible to replace Hi-Shear rivets with Hi-Lok bolts of the same material, diameter and grip length."
You are correct. The rivets are are the standard MS20426D (100 degree), but the countersink in the lift strut is 82 degree. So, we are removing the head of the rivet, and allowing enough of the rivet shank to protrude equally from both sides as we squeeze them down into the 82 degree countersink. I've only done one test sample, which I have yet to complete a destructive test. I'll drill off the "head" and measure the force required to press the compressed rivet shank out. This will then be compared to a Cessna installed rivet on damage lift strut.
Gary, the report you linked is great. This is exactly what we are doing. The rivet, before squeezing, is left long enough so that after it is squeezed tightly down into the countersink, it still protrudes about an 1/8". We will microshave to be flush
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

Would (maybe obvious to some) you shave the two ends afterwards, for the finish?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

c170b53 wrote:Would (maybe obvious to some) you shave the two ends afterwards, for the finish?
Jim,
Yes, the manufactured 100 degree head is removed prior to insertion in the hole. It's length is cut to allow ample protrusion on both sides so that after the rivet is squeezed tight throughout the length of the hole and into the the countersinks on both sides. Then we use a rivet shaver to mill it smooth.
I've to make a couple special tools for the press so I can do some destructive testing. After I'm confident with our process I'll post some more info and pictures.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Aryana wrote:Miles, we need something in that photo for scale reference! Those flush rivets in the strut are huge and I always wondered how they bucked them...
They are 5/16" diameter and 2 inches long. It's been 27 years since I've worked with rivets this size. It was on a Twin Otter wing spar. They had corrosion and were replacing the spar caps. They had 5/16" DD "icebox" rivets. We tried the 2 rivet guns idea, but learned that did not expand the shank of the rivet throughout the full length of the rivet hole. We built a hydraulic press frame with a 60 ton hydraulic jack, which dangled from an "A" frame hoist, to squeeze those rivets. Sorry, no pictures of that operation, but I wish I had some
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

wingnut wrote:Yes, the manufactured 100 degree head is removed prior to insertion in the hole. It's length is cut to allow ample protrusion on both sides so that after the rivet is squeezed tight throughout the length of the hole and into the the countersinks on both sides. Then we use a rivet shaver to mill it smooth.
Wouldn't it be easier to use AN425AD10 rivets? I'd never heard of them before today but see that they are 78-degree countersink rivets. I'm looking forward to your pictures of driving/squeezing those suckers. Do you have a large enough rivet squeezer for that operation or are you going to have to use a press? If it doesn't work as planned there are always struts, 0523606-12 and -13, for sale online. Wing struts might be one item that one would rather not have off of a wrecked aircraft though.
Gary
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

When I asked Del how he planned to set the rivets, he answered with this photo:
image.jpeg
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

Yeah, that ought'a do it! I was "shopping" for rivet squeezers and couldn't find anything portable large enough to handle that size rivet.
Gary
n2582d

Post by n2582d »

c170b53 wrote:Most excellent Gary, Hi-shear replacement; that was going to be my next question to Jim ( Not in the third person).
Jim, I ran across this after I found that Hi-Shear rivets were replaced by AN bolts in my landing gear box. There is a wealth of information in the Structural Repair section of the 1996 and on Single Engine Maintenance Manual.
Gary
n3833v

Post by n3833v »

Yoke?

John
John Hess
Past President 2018-2021
President 2016-2018, TIC170A
Vice President 2014-2016, TIC170A
Director 2005-2014, TIC170A
N3833V Flying for Fun
'67 XLH 900 Harley Sportster
EAA Chapter 390 Pres since 2006
K3KNT
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

n2582d wrote:
wingnut wrote:Yes, the manufactured 100 degree head is removed prior to insertion in the hole. It's length is cut to allow ample protrusion on both sides so that after the rivet is squeezed tight throughout the length of the hole and into the the countersinks on both sides. Then we use a rivet shaver to mill it smooth.
Wouldn't it be easier to use AN425AD10 rivets? I'd never heard of them before today but see that they are 78-degree countersink rivets. I'm looking forward to your pictures of driving/squeezing those suckers. Do you have a large enough rivet squeezer for that operation or are you going to have to use a press? If it doesn't work as planned there are always struts, 0523606-12 and -13, for sale online. Wing struts might be one item that one would rather not have off of a wrecked aircraft though.
Because the hole is approx. 1.5" deep, I want to squeeze the rivet into the countersinks on each side, using equal force on both sides. If I used a flush rivet that was already flush on the manufactured head side, I worry that the rivet would get tight first on the shop 'head' side and would not be equally tight throughout the entire depth of the hole and/or the in the countersink area of the manufactured head side. Hope this makes sense.
So, it matters not if I use a 425, 426 or even a 470 button head rivet. I'm cutting the rivets to length anyway
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Del,
Are you making new struts?
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

johneeb wrote:Del,
Are you making new struts?
No, I'm not making anything. I'm proving (or not) a process. If I'm satisfied with my process, then I'll be installing serviceable fittings into a serviceable lift strut tube. If I'm not satisfied, then I'll buy a serviceable assembly.
Del Lehmann
Mena, Arkansas
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I appreciate the info shared in this post and it's a great reminder to myself of how little I know. :D . Thanks everyone !
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS