wheel pants mounting plates

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

skyprop

wheel pants mounting plates

Post by skyprop »

Hallo does anyone has 2 wheels pants mounting plates to sell and ship to Italy? thank you for your help
bagarre

Re: wheel pants mounting plates

Post by bagarre »

Are they flat or formed?
I have a set but I don't want to separate them from the wheel pants (for sale soon).
But I could trace and make a template for them.

Where in Italy? My wife is from Napoli (Bagnoli).
skyprop

Post by skyprop »

formed. I came from Verona north Italy. could you send me few pics about of all parts? because I dont have any idea how I can fix all and what I need to buy. for the moment I have only tje wheel pants. my cessna is under big restoration.
Attachments
14407797_10209472129193655_1685134372_o.jpg
skyprop

Post by skyprop »

Attachments
14408012_10209472129273657_410229313_o.jpg
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

Mine are still on the airplane and the airplane is 200 miles away in Pittsburgh. (Another big restoration)

If you plan to paint them and don't care for being original, consider this guy
https://www.cessna120-140.org/Classified/wheelpants.htm

The price is very reasonable and they are strong enough to stand on.
skyprop

Post by skyprop »

thank you David. the web site is off line. I'm will try to send an e-mail.
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Well that is very good info. I had no idea such a part existed!

David how many different ver existed in the b models?
You selling some soon perhaps?
mschlender

Post by mschlender »

I have a pair of plates mschlender@charter.net
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

swixtt wrote:Well that is very good info. I had no idea such a part existed!

David how many different ver existed in the b models?
You selling some soon perhaps?
Im pretty sure all 170s share the same wheel pants and mounting plates. Mine are from a 1952 without a scratch or crack and polished to perfection. I nee to get the fuselage to my house so I can pull off the gear legs and start work. Once hte legs are off I can easily get the backing plates and put the whole shebang for sale.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:...Im pretty sure all 170s share the same wheel pants and mounting plates. .....
I know you know what you mean, David,... but that is not a reliable method of describing them.
Remember the Member in California who bought the landing gear legs off a 1954 model...described as original to the airplane?
As far as that seller knew...it was so. Unfortunately at some time in the history of the airplane the legs had been substituted from an A-model and therefore they
were NOT lady legs...they were early gear legs.
Seller would not refund because he felt he'd described them accurately ...(they were the ones originally on the plane when he bought it)... and the buyer is disappointed and owns a set he can't use and cannot get his money returned to him.

In addition, the requestor in this case is in Italy, restoring a foreign registered airplane. That complicates matters immensely because he probably can not use aftermarket, non-Cessna parts without traceability that aren't specifically approved by his airworthiness authorities for that airplane. (IE, it's unlikely he can do what we do here in the states with a minor alteration using generic wheel pant parts.)
In this case, the Italian owner cannot rely upon a statement that might lead him to purchase a set of wheelpants that happen to be from another 170 because he was led to believe "all 170s share the same wheel pants.." etc. ...because they DON'T. Many 170's have aftermarket wheel pants and plates.

I'm not picking on you, I'm only attempting to make sure that everyone reading this understands the importance of listing parts by Part Number, Source, and approval basis ...if everyone wants to avoid confusion and disappointment.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
swixtt

Post by swixtt »

Yikes. That is an unfortunate story. Thanks for the details Horn... Always listening.
bagarre

Post by bagarre »

gahorn wrote:
bagarre wrote:...Im pretty sure all 170s share the same wheel pants and mounting plates. .....
I know you know what you mean, David,... but that is not a reliable method of describing them.
Remember the Member in California who bought the landing gear legs off a 1954 model...described as original to the airplane?
As far as that seller knew...it was so. Unfortunately at some time in the history of the airplane the legs had been substituted from an A-model and therefore they
were NOT lady legs...they were early gear legs.
Seller would not refund because he felt he'd described them accurately ...(they were the ones originally on the plane when he bought it)... and the buyer is disappointed and owns a set he can't use and cannot get his money returned to him.
Is it a correct statement to say there is only one type of wheel pant and mounting plate that 170s left the factory with?
I don't have all the parts books to verify part numbers but I'm pretty sure they are the same.
I have seen a few 170s with later 172 pants but I know those arent original.

For the seller of the bogus gear legs: If it was an honest mistake, he would have refunded the buyer. My feeling is, he knew what he was selling.
c170b53

Post by c170b53 »

I know I have wheel pants but I lack the plates. I think there's a market for them, does anyone produce them to fit the original pants?
Jim McIntosh..
1953 C170B S/N 25656
02 K1200RS
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

bagarre wrote:...
Is it a correct statement to say there is only one type of wheel pant and mounting plate that 170s left the factory with?
I don't have all the parts books to verify part numbers but I'm pretty sure they are the same.
I have seen a few 170s with later 172 pants but I know those arent original.

For the seller of the bogus gear legs: If it was an honest mistake, he would have refunded the buyer. My feeling is, he knew what he was selling.
Yeah, I agree, in that he should have refunded the money and allowed a return of the legs,...but I don't believe he knew what he was selling. I think he offered them as "removed from a 1954 B-model" ....and he didn't know what the difference was. The problem stems from the description.

Anyway, to answer your question...
Even if you specified the exact "type of wheel pant and mounting plate that 170s left the factory with"...as you state, there still exists a problem with that type of description. Why? Because the factory issued these airplanes with Goodyear Brakes.... and current owners (except Bruce) are likely looking for mounting plates cut for Cleveland Brakes. It's a minor difference, but it needs to be addressed in any description, so offering a set that are the "type that left the factory" may not meet the expectations of buyer and seller.

My predecessor Parts/MX Coordinator was Tom Hall. In the mid/late '90s Tom arranged with TIC170A Members to place a group-order with Cessna to manufacture new Wheel "fairings kit", duplicates of AK70A52-1, IPC Fig 100. I believe the plates were uncut and were modified at installation (but to be completely honest I don't really know. The only ones I've seen are already installed, and all of those are for Clevelands. The original order paperwork is the only paper missing (or at least I haven't found it yet) in my records.

The mounting plate Kits in Fig 100 are PN:04411043-16 and were "handed" (i.e., left and right) and included scrapers and attaching hardware. (So there you have it, another possibility for misunderstanding by buyers/sellers.... i.e., do the mounting plates include scrapers? or are they already mounted within the fairings? Another reason to resource the IPC.)

I feel the best way to solicit or offer parts is to identify exactly what is being described/solicited/offered by referencing the IPC, and by Page/Figure and PN to avoid misunderstandings.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)