Interior Restoration/Upgrade

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

CAS

Interior Restoration/Upgrade

Post by CAS »

The carpet in my C170A needs replacing and there are a few other little things that need attention so the other rainy day I had a sit in the cabin and looked at all the things that should/could be done. I then went home and wrote out a list that came to over 40 items - some rather extensive and expensive. I didn't realise it until now but I have been subconsiously (unconsiously) :roll: planning to redo the whole interior, upgrade some instruments, move the radios and add useable lights for night flying. 8)

A couple of questions:

The IPC says the original interior paint was "Silver French Grey". What colour is this? Will my Cessna dealer know? Will my local paint shop know?

I have been looking at the various panels on the old Yahoo site and Susan's site to find an original '49 colour scheme. There do not seem to be two panels the same. What colours / materials were on the original C170A panel? My current panel is all black with most of it covered with black vynil. My instrument layout is very similar to the optional Venturi Gyro Installation as per the C170A IPC (Figure 60) but the lower left and right sub-panels have been hacked about so many times it is hard to find an original bit.

I would like to place the A/H and DG in the centre, one above the other. Has anyone tried this? Will they fit or does the control column get in the way? (The compass is now mounted on the windscreen centre strip.)

Are the original knobs for carb heat etc. still available? I only have two that look anything like the original and they are now a bit tatty.

I have a problem with the instrument panel overlay. When sitting in the RH seat (instructing) I can't see the ASI markings at the (important) low end due to the distance of the overlay from the main panel and the dress rings around the hole. If I add Nulites or similar the instruments will be another 3/16" down the hole. I notice on the pictures of the panel on George's machine that the overlay has chamfered edges around the holes that make the instruments more readable from an angle. Is this a later C170B feature or a custom modification?

Well, that's about enough rambling for this time of night.

Any comments, suggestions OR PICTURES/PHOTOS would be appreciated.

David.
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

Hi David,

You can buy the carpet precut from Airtext, or, save some $'s and by a roll from them and cut it yourself. They also make the headliner, baggage compartment, side panels, seats, and a nice cover for the top of the panel. You can tilt your instruments up to a certain number of degrees to help improve readability per sitting position.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Hi David,

I've been slowly picking away at restoring my '52 170b and have had some similar questions myself. Here's some of what I've found:

Carpet - My '52 came with an Airtex interior including carpet and it looks quite nice and wears well. I'd look into them for my carpet needs in the future.

Panel knobs & overlays - Try TIC170A association and the salvage yards like Specialty Sircraft, Wentworth, Williams, Global, etc. (they advertise in Trade-a-Plane all the time). I've had good luck there finding stuff, although it may take a while to find what you're are after. Some of these places have been really helpful and even emailed me digital photos of their stuff so I could pick out what I wanted. I've managed to aquire all the original knobs, controls, and panel overlays through Association members (thanks everyone) and salvage yards.

Nulites - I'm interested in installing these myself and I saw a post recently that said they had to reside between the panel and the instrument. I went to their website (http://www.nulite.net) and checked the online installation manual and it says that you can install them either way - between the panel and the instrument in you don't have an overlay or between the panel and the overlay if you DO have an overlay. It would seem to me that there is enough clearance to mount them between the panel and the overlay, but then again I've never done it.

Chamfered edges on the panel - This started with the '53 models. Prior to that they all had the bezels. I know a guy that used to own a '49 and he took out all of his bezels and found someone to chamfer all the holes, so I suppose that's an option.

A/H & D/G in the Center - I've seen several photos of this mod, so it can't be all that difficult. It would require a custom instrument panel since there is nothing in that lower-center position to hold an instrument. I would imagine that at least one person in this group has done it.

Good luck,
Doug.
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

I have a '50 A model with the T&B center top and Alt center bottom. I bought it this way.

The Altimeter is only held in by the top 2 screws as I recall and the inst. panel overlay is cut out at the bottom center (forms an upside down U) to fit around the altimeter. I think it looks fine and I'm not goin to change it but I might not have done it myself cause the overly doesn't completly surround the Altimeter.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
David Laseter

Paint & Interior

Post by David Laseter »

Recommendations for Paint & Interior Shops?????
We're getting closer to having the cosmetics done, still need cowling. Anyone know of a good shop or anything about the following?

Goodner Brothers - in Mena, Arkansas. I know several people that have flown from Alaska to Ark to have them paint their planes.
Kent Rose - Mena - Upholstery
Apparently, Mena has shops for everything!
Dave
N1478D

Re: Paint & Interior

Post by N1478D »

David Laseter wrote:Recommendations for Paint & Interior Shops?????
We're getting closer to having the cosmetics done, still need cowling. Anyone know of a good shop or anything about the following?

Goodner Brothers - in Mena, Arkansas. I know several people that have flown from Alaska to Ark to have them paint their planes.
Kent Rose - Mena - Upholstery
Apparently, Mena has shops for everything!
Dave
A hangar row buddy had his Commanche painted by Goodner Brothers and he is going to take his Baron there in the near future - he is very happy with them. Don't have any info good or bad on Kent Rose David.
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Use caution in trying to install your A/H andD/G in the center of your panel. Before cutting any holes,make sure that the instruments are not so deep that they interfere with the "T" yoke.
And be sure to include the depth of the Vacuum fittings and hoses.
BL
Watkinsnv

Center Instruments

Post by Watkinsnv »

I just made & installed a instrument panel that allows for two insruments in the center. the top hole has plenty of room depth wise but the lower hole can only accomadate a short instrument. I made an extra instrument panel that has not had the center holes cut out yet. And I have a stock instrument panel unbutchard for sale, if anyone is interested I can email you a picture of my panel and the ones I have for sale. Lance
CAS

Instrument Panel

Post by CAS »

Lance

I would like some more details of the new panel you have made and to see a picture of it.

Thank you

David.
CAS

Insturment Panel

Post by CAS »

Here is a "before" shot of my instrument panel. :(
There is no "after" yet :!:

David
52170B

Panel Restoration Project - with pictures!

Post by 52170B »

Here's a photo of my "still not finished" panel project. More photos are posted at http://www.pacificom.com/C170/ . We decided to build a new plate to mount the instruments and veneer the old panel covers using JB weld to smooth the edges. This way we didn't have to mess with forming the compound edges. I also posted a photo of a pretty panel found recently on the internet. Mine should look similar when finished, just gray.

Hope this helps...

http://www.pacificom.com/C170/

David Laseter

Interior / Paint Prices

Post by David Laseter »

I received 2 quotes today. These appear to be first class refurbishment jobs, complete interiors (even down to detailing instrument panel and throw pillows) & AcyGlo base paint / 3 trim colors, 6 hours of hangar rash repairs, etc..
Anyway, how do these prices look?
Advice?

Quote #1 - Interior $5,320 / Exterior $7,640
Quote #2 - Interior $8,000 / Exterior $5,800

I'm used to Alaskan prices = $10,000 paint job (that's just quote).

These are located at the same airport. So after Quote #1 gets done with the interior maybe I can roll it over to Quote #2 for the paint?

Dave
n2902d

Post by n2902d »

Dave,
Call Don Gray @ the Ozark Franklin airport (7M5). He painted N2902D about three years ago. Base color and two trim colors in Dupont Imron with 10 hours of clean-up body work for $4200 plus tax. My bill ended up coming to around $5200 out the door. I thought he did a real good job overall, I still get some compliments on the work. One thing I would do different is to have him shoot a coat of clear on top of everything, it was an extra $1000. At the time, my wife about fainted when I told here what the bill would be for the basic spray job. For the interior work, Searcy Aircraft Interiors at the Searcy, AR (SRC) has a good reputation, and are more reasonably priced than some of the Mena shops. Remember, they cater to the Bizjet/Beech$$$ crowd, so there is somew higher overhead built into their price schedule.
Mike
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

All this talk on this thread makes me REAL glad that I can do paint and metal work while my wife is SUPERWOMAN with the sewing and surger machines. Dave, you will be glad you didn't get the clear coat. The last paint job I did on one of my MGs was a clear coat job. BIG MISTAKE! Having a clear coat top layer turns any simple spot repair into a big job. There WILL be chips and dings in your paint if you fly often...and not having the clear coat makes the repair sooooo much easier. And for those of you who pay to have your planes painted.....sooo much cheaper!
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
David Laseter

Post by David Laseter »

Mike - there your are!
How's things in Cabot? Found out my wifes cousin's live in Cabot now and they want us to come visit. He said they live right by an airstrip.
I've circled Gray's Aircraft Refinishing 800-322-4729 Ad in the Fly-Low paper and will be calling him. I appreciate the recommendations.
Find an excuse to fly to Russellville and visit us. We can jump over to Petit Jean which I can see from the Hangar. Either way I'll be calling one day, keep that paint job waxed. :D

Wa4jr - I'm sooooooooo tempted to paint it myself. No guts and no experience, but I know I could and I really want too. Hey, you come visit also! Bring you're paint brush with you? :wink: Thanks for the headsup!

Dave