Door Catch and Door Handle Latch repairs

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

LRF

Door Catch and Door Handle Latch repairs

Post by LRF »

My door catch, at least that is what I call it, is broken. This the part that is mounted with two screw to the body of the plane that the door latch catches on. Someone has welded the part together before, and I could probably do the same, but I'd ike to get a new part if possible. I do not have any kind of catalog. Any suggestions?
mit

Post by mit »

p/n 0411582
Tim
N2865C

Re: Door Catch

Post by N2865C »

LRF wrote:My door catch, at least that is what I call it, is broken. This the part that is mounted with two screw to the body of the plane that the door latch catches on. Someone has welded the part together before, and I could probably do the same, but I'd ike to get a new part if possible. I do not have any kind of catalog. Any suggestions?
My suggestion - Buy a parts catalog :D. About $40 at Aircraft Spruce or Univair. IMHO it's the best $40 you can spend. Or you can download one for free here. http://www.micro-tools.com/pdf/Cessna/170b_pm.pdf

http://iwantcessnaparts.com/ has part # 0411582 / Striker / in stock for $69.21 each.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
LRF

Post by LRF »

Boy - they are proud of a pretty simple part! You both seem to agree on 0411582 (striker), but I don't see that number on the drawing. I am wondering if it isn't actually 0411552 (catch - door latch), but it is hard for me to tell from the sketch in the parts catalog. Important to note that I have a ragwing.

Thank you for the time.
Larry Forney
1948 C-170 (ragwing)
N4046V
Curtis Brown

Post by Curtis Brown »

Try Johnny Williams in San Anglio, Tx. He advertises in the fly paper. and has both parts for the door. I have been using the metal ones for a few years now. No problems.
Curtis
1950 A model 1256D
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Check the junk yards for that striker plate. All the early post ww2 Cessnas used the same one, if I remember correctly. It also should be relatively to make one from a piece of stainless if you have a sample.
BL
tshort

Post by tshort »

The ragwing I just bought came without the catches on either side... my mechanic said during the prebuy that we could make some without much trouble.
I don't know what they look like, but 70$ seems a little rich to me...

Thomas
Thomas Short
1948 C170 N3949V
RV-8 wings in progress
Indianapolis (KUMP)
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The ragwing uses a slightly different system than the ones Johnny sells. But call him. He's full of surprises.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
LRF

Post by LRF »

Dawson had two off a '48 body that they have for salvage. There sending me one, so I am covered. Thank you all for the help. They have a '48 fuselage and tail feathers in their yard if anyone is interested.
Larry Forney
1948 C-170 (ragwing)
N4046V
Green Bean

Door Catches?

Post by Green Bean »

If your still looking I have two different types. Will give you a heck of deal.

Took mine off and have gone to Steward Door Openers. Cleaner, less hasslel and more user friendly and they work, with out damaging the door. Plus they are STC'd.
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Where can I get information on the Steward door catch? They don't seem to be in TAP or any other mag. that I have. I just don't trust the 56 yr. old latches I have.
JIM BAKER
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

Here ya go. I love 'em... I think we picked up a knot as well after we removed the striker post. :wink: Hehehe!

http://mtnviewaviation.com/

Matt
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

So the gas cylinder is the only thing that holds the door closed? No latch?

Eric
punkin170b

Post by punkin170b »

The gas cylinder actually eases the door open to the fully opened position and keeps it there. Nice for ingress/egress - especially in windy conditions. However, the door latch must overcome the gas cylinder to keep the door closed. Your latches have to work well to keep the door from popping open - although the force exerted by the cylinder in the closed position is minimal. I guess I didn't give it a second thought - as we had already replaced the old latch mechanisms with the rotary-clutch mechanism from a 172L. All guesswork eliminated. I don't know of anyone with the Steward AND the old latches... Anyone?
Matt
"Rule books are paper. They will not cushion a sudden meeting of stone and metal." (E.K. Gann)
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I think you guys are talking apples and oranges. The original thread referred to the strike plate on the rear door post that the door lock bolt strikes on closing and it then holds the lock bolt thereby holding the door closed.
BL