Monarch gas caps and engine tach leak

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

doakes

Monarch gas caps and engine tach leak

Post by doakes »

Two questions that I needs help with.
1. Do the Monarch gas caps needs STC-337?

2. My engine is leaking oil at the Tach shaft above the generator.

Is that shaft tapered in any way? Mine seems to be tapered. It begins small and increases in size toward the engine. The seal does not fit snug and I cannot stop the leak.
Does anyone have a thought?
Thanks much,
Dave
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

There is a "gar-lock" type oil seal within the tach-drive housing which the tach-drive shaft rides within. If your tach-drive shaft is damaged it might damage a new seal, but... a new seal should have no problem in stopping oil from running out the end of the housing or up the tach cable if there's no other damage. Make certain that the new seal installed correctly oriented. (Open-cup faces the engine.)
Monarch caps have an AD against them and the company is no longer in business according to last rumor. Since they are no longer approved...yes you'd need some form of approval to install them.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

Doakes,

I installed my engine to the airplane before I installed the tach drive. In the mean time, I managed to misplace the tach drive seal that came with the gasket kit. :oops: The local Car Quest was able to cross-reference the number in the TCM illustrated parts list and I had them send two in their regular overnight delivery. Total cost about 5 or 6 bucks each. I since located the original, so now I have two spares. If you decide to change the seal and can't find one quickly, let me know and I'll send you one of mine.

Miles
Miles

“I envy no man that knows more than myself, but pity them that know less.”
— Thomas Browne
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

gahorn wrote:Monarch caps have an AD against them and the company is no longer in business according to last rumor. Since they are no longer approved...yes you'd need some form of approval to install them.
What AD? The only reference I could find on the FAA database was 94-12-08 which referenced Cessna 210, P210, and T210 aircraft only and mentioned the installation on Monarch caps as a means of complying with the AD. I have Monarch caps on my 170 and have not received anything regarding an AD for them.

The rights to the Monarch fuel caps had been purchased by Hartwig Fuel Cell, but a quick search of their website does not reveal any reference to them. I'll see if I can dig anything up.
Doug
doakes

Monarch cap fix

Post by doakes »

So what is the fix if the Monarch people are unavailable? When I purchased them I do not remember of any paper work needed, however that does not mean that there shouldn"t be.
Thanks
Dave
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I've found where the FAA issued a Maintenance Alert for the Monarch Caps specific to C120, 140, 140A aircraft only. Nothing for 170s and No AD.

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/safety/aler ... _Alert.pdf

Click above and use the search function (binoculars) to look for "monarch".

I'll check my paperwork when I get home regarding approval. I "thought" they were approved as a replacement, but I don't remember.
Last edited by doug8082a on Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I'm sorry for my hasty responses yesterday. (Long hours, short day, careless attempt to be helpful.)
Airworthiness Alert is correct...not Directive. Monarch is out of business, Hartwig supposedly picked up the product line, but it's been reported that the caps are still not approved. (They were previously STC'd for some aircraft according to some accident reports that indicate improper installations.)
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

OK, so we are on the same page. I was afraid something slipped by me.

I have contacted Hartwig about the Monarch caps. I'll post any response when I get it.
Doug
N2865C

Post by N2865C »

Are we talking about the Monarch Classic Caps referred to in the above Alert? If so, Monarch never had anything except design approval for those caps, and only for 120/140's, however they implied that they were "approved" in their advertising. There was never PMA or an STC for those caps. In fact, they were basically $6.00 Stant gas caps like the ones available at Walmart being sold for $95.00 a pair. There were several reports of engine stoppages (some in flight) in 120/140's using them due to the caps not venting properly. Unlike 170's, the only venting for the tanks on 120/140's were two holes drilled in the top of the original gas caps, and early models did not have a "both" position on the fuel selector. I bought a pair for my 120 and later removed them after reading the reports. I found it interesting that the FAA would issue an inspection Alert on unapproved parts. The Alert was issued after prodding by the 120/140 Association to do something about the problem.
John
N2865C
"The only stupid question is one that wasn't asked"
doakes

Post by doakes »

So what cap am I to use? What do you all have?
Thanks
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I have the genuine Cessna article (which are red plastic-covered caps. I have vented caps on both tanks.) You are required to have at least one vented cap on the right tank.
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Doug, When you installed your Monarch caps, what sealer did you use? I have a new set for my 170 and I'd sure like to use them this year on camping trips and overnights. My set are new but didn't have the sealer in the box. I'll look to see what paperwork came with them. In the meantime they sure look like they would cover up the Moat and keep the water out.
JIM BAKER
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

Jim, Are you talking about the Riser Shields (moat covers)? Thems different from the fuel caps. The Riser Shields came with thier own epoxy-like sealer from Monarch. You were required to use it as part of the installation.
Doug
djbaker

Post by djbaker »

Doug, Thanks, that's what I had in mind, the Riser Covers, I don't have the epoxy that should have been in the box.
JIM BAKER
doakes

Post by doakes »

Thanks for your replies.

My AI said that I had to use one original and one Cessna Vented cap.

I did and He is happy and so am I.