Bearing Grease

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Robert Eilers

Bearing Grease

Post by Robert Eilers »

Anyone have any preferences regarding Bearing Grease. I repacked mine today - building up to the annual. I have heard different things about the type of grease to use on teh aircraft wheels. I also noticed that the main gear bearing grease and the tail wheel bearing grease appeared to be different types.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

The 100 Series Service Manual offers a Mil-Spec for bearing grease,...but then notes that any good, major-brand grease, suitable for bearings is allowable. My personal favorite is boat-trailer, marine-wheel-bearing grease... because it is so resistant to water. It can be found at marine/boat dealers and most auto parts stores and specifically is recommended for boat trailer wheel bearings (which are subject to a lot more abuse than our airplane wheel bearings are.)
This grease is also good for re-packing trim-tab actuators (which also get a lot of abuse from water/rain/etc.) The grease is typically identifiable by its green color. (S L O W to wash out/away.) :lol:
Last edited by GAHorn on Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
hilltop170

Post by hilltop170 »

Robert-
Years ago, an old-time federal Fish and Wildlife pilot who flew just about every kind of amphib aircraft imaginable up here in Alaska told me the only wheel bearing grease that would last in their amphibs was Mobil Synthetic Lubricating Grease, MLITH SHC-220. The Mobil lubricants distributer was the only place I could find it.

I have used it ever since in everything I have with wheel bearings from wheel barrows to airplanes and have never seen corrosion or had any bearing problems.
Richard
Richard Pulley
2014-2016 TIC170A Past President
1951 170A, N1715D, s/n 20158, O-300D
2023 Best Original 170A at Sault Ste. Marie
Owned from 1973 to 1984.
Bought again in 2006 after 22 years.
It's not for sale!
davevramp

Super Red

Post by davevramp »

Works well