Bug Removal

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

planepilot1

Bug Removal

Post by planepilot1 »

Bugs on leading edges, struts, cowlings, etc. Someone just gave me a product to try to get these pesky critters off the above areas. My question is does anyone have any experience with this product? Will it harm our paint job?

The product is Nathans "BUG BLAST". Mfg'd by Nathans @ P.O. Box 242, Eden, NY 14057 716-992-9777. The product says it is specially formulated for trucks, cars, rv's & motocycles. Nothing about airplanes, but of course if it did the price would be double! Furthur it says it won't remove wax or damage finish. Any suggestions or comments will be appreciated.

Also heard that 3M makes an adhesive remover that works wonders on bugs. Don't know anything about whether it is safe to use on aircraft or not.

Frank Stephenson
N6888A
Frank Stephenson
webmaster
Site Admin

Post by webmaster »

I like water myself. Just spray it on, wait a minute, and wipe them off. It works especially well if you have good wax on the surface before the bugs hit. :)

Dale
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

Frank..... For what it is worth here is what I do about bugs.
After I wash the aircraft I put a light coat of wax on the leading edges.
Then after every flight I use a spray bottle with water and a few drops of dish soap mixed in. I lightly spray the leading edges and wipe down one wing at a time. I do the cowl, gear, struts and prop the same way. I try to do it religiously after every flight before they have a chance to bake on. I carry the bottle and my bug cloth with me on cross county flights.
For the windshield I use the same mixture but I use my bare hand to scrub the bugs loose and then I wipe them off with a cleaner, softer, rag than I use on the rest of the airvraft. Then I use a plexiglass cleaner, polish for the final cleaning of the windshield.
I know it sounds like a lot of work but it only takes a few minutes. The key is to do it after every flight and use your bare hand on the windshield.
Bob
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Try "Pledge" aerosol furniture dust/wax spray. Let it sit awhile then wipe them off. Use Pledge as an anti-bug coating, as well.
Joe Dickey

Post by Joe Dickey »

Mr Horn is correct.....WD 40 and Pledge are the "duct tape" of aerosols. Also works great if you use it under the cowl and belly to remove the "gunk" and oil....care must be used.... lest wives learn that we are capable of polishing with Pledge....
Joe Dickey
C 170
N1948A
N1277D

Bugs

Post by N1277D »

On polished aluminum a mixture of 1/2 water 1/2 alcohol and some Bon Ami takes those bugs off quickly and even polishes the metal some
JDH

Post by JDH »

I wish I had fresh bugs on the leading edge; its -16º C here... JD :wink:
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

JD.... Minus 28 C this a.m. in northern Mn.
CAS

Post by CAS »

It is +30 C here in Perth, Western Australia and you can have my squashed bugs :!:
:)
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

Summer down under
in Perth hey mate :D

Bummer down underwear,
cold of late :cry:
planepilot1

Bugs

Post by planepilot1 »

I appreciate the remedies suggested. I have found, as was suggested, that after a flight if I take plain water in a sponge wet down the bugs and come back with still more wet sponge that it gets most off easily and those that are tougher will come off with some additional rubbing. I too use Pledge to clean the windshield and windows.

My main concern was with the possible harmful effects of the "Bug Blast" product on my paint. I know Windex is a "NO NO" on plastic windows. A friend gave it to me and I don't want to hurt his feelings, but don't want to mess up a paint job either.

Frank
N6888A
Frank Stephenson
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

A hangar nieghbor told me about a clear spray on Turtle wax that He's using on the leading edge and cowl etc. He said the bugs almost fall off.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

It's old mother nature at work. Turtles eat bugs. When the bugs smell the Turtle Wax they think that turtles are close by,so they go away. Works just like the deer repellant you spray on your shrubbery,that's just coyote piss.

Professor Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

That's really good Eric.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
Boiler Bill

Cleaning Windows

Post by Boiler Bill »

A friend told me how to clean plexiglass window front and sides. When your back and see all the bugs on the windshield. Get a bucket of water and buy those cheap round soft wax applicators from your local Auto supply store. They are soft and work great.

Now wet the round soft applictors in the water and squeeze most of the water out. Take some liquid turtle wax and just put a few drops on the applicator. Rub directly on the bugs on the winshield. Don;t wet the windshield first just rub in the damp wax in a circluar motion. Try doing half of the windshied gently rubbing and the bugs will come off and the wax seems to hide alot of small scratches, just keep rubbing and all will be clear like a new winshield, then do the other side and side windows.
I do the inside once a year, everything stays clear you don't even wipe it dry with a towel. My friend has been doing this for over 10 years on the same windows and they look new.