Paint stripping.

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

gahorn wrote: OLIVE DRAB :?: ....
Yep your on to me George but I have a variation in mind. Not so olive but still drab. Won't require washin-n-waxing. Easy touch up.

I'm looking for some cheap L-19 rocket pods as well. Cheap being the operative word here which means if I ever have them they will be duplicates I've fabricated. 8)
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

N9149A wrote:
gahorn wrote: OLIVE DRAB :?: ....
Yep your on to me George but I have a variation in mind. Not so olive but still drab. Won't require washin-n-waxing. Easy touch up.

I'm looking for some cheap L-19 rocket pods as well. Cheap being the operative word here which means if I ever have them they will be duplicates I've fabricated. 8)
That'll be fine, just as long as the paperwork shows them to be original 170-A rocket tubes. :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
trake

Post by trake »

"speaking" of touch up Valspar brand white primer in the rattle cans works really well (for an older paint job like mine). Especially on steel parts like gear legs , door stops, tie down rings. Sometimes I dont bother with a gloss coat. You can get it at Lowes. Its surprising how much you can improve the general appearance by detailing the paint-at least from 10 feet. You have to do the prep work of course. Pardon the syntax
Tracy Ake
1955 cessna 170b
sn26936
N2993D
Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Bruce we know you - don't let Gahorn's comments cause you to go out to the hanger and start to inhale stripper fumes :!:

My vote for a paint job would be cub yellow with the lightnin' bolt. I recall seeing that bird land like a cub at Petit Jean. :wink:
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
Indopilot

Post by Indopilot »

Just don't paint it to imitate a helicap, hulecop, err fling wing! Even though that big round tail is big enough to paint like a tail rotar. :D
52 170B s/n 20446
56 172 s/n 28162
Echo Weed eater, Jezebeel