fuel crossover vent revisited

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Dave Clark

fuel crossover vent revisited

Post by Dave Clark »

Sorry to bring this up again but I'll have the opportunity to remove the ADF antenna mast in the process of everything else I'm doing soon. I have been flying it three years now with just the mast mount on, not the mast itself. I have very seldom seen evidence of fuel leakage on the cabin top. My old '56 180 didn't have the mast on and it didn't leak fuel either.

Could some of you weigh in with your experiences on this with or without the mast?
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
flyer170

Post by flyer170 »

Dave.... I made a small mast out of wood that sticks up just high enough to get in the air flow of the vent. I think it is only about 4 in high but I will have to measure it.
I put it on not because of fuel leakage but with the idea that it would deflect objects from entering the vent. I don't think that it made any difference in leaking fuel from the vent. I plugged the small holes on the back of the vent tube and I think that cut back on some of the leakage.
I still get a few stains but I think they are from taxing over rough ground with full fuel tanks and once in awhile from turbulance in the air.
Bob
N1478D

Post by N1478D »

I took mine off when I first bought the plane 4 or 5 years ago. The fuel stain only happens some times, but not all that often. The plane flies as if it didn't even know that it has been removed. :lol:
Joe
51 C170A
Grand Prairie, TX
CAS

Post by CAS »

On my C170A I have an ADF sense antenna from an insulator mounted about 12" to starboard of the fuel vent to the fin. There is also a "dummy" post about 6" behind the fuel vent.

I get some fuel staining occasionally from the left tank filler but I don't think that has anything to do with the vent. I have never noticed any staining near the vent itself.

David.
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

I have NEVER had any fuel stains/leaks in the area of the vent. Of course,the ragwing is not equipped with the BS vented caps,as required (by AD) for the other models. I would consider getting rid of the vented cap(s) if that is the cause of the leakage problem.

Eric
JDH

Post by JDH »

Dave and others not getting any apparent leaks. Are you using Mogas or Avgas? Reason for my question is that if you were leaking Avgas, you might not notice, cause it doesn't stain or smell much. But if you are using Mogas, it would stain and smell. Once in a while in turbulence, with my tanks real full, it smells like someone spilled gas while refueling a lawn mower (on top of the cabin). I have a mast on mine, not the original and a bit loose fitting (made out of some sort of black plastic). I plugged the hole in the back of the goose neck and I get less, but still some leakage. JD
zero.one.victor

I proudly burn stinky car gas (hokey-pokey!) in my ragwing,probably about 80-85% by volume. No smells,stains,etc that can't be traced to the pilot!
Also forgot to mention,I don't have any mast,antennae,or anything else in the area of the fuel vent.

Eric
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Ok thanks for the input. I use both Mogas and avgas and yes the Mogas leaves a lot more residue. I get a little staining behind the vent tube but not much at all. I have the mast bracket but no mast installen. I've decided to pull off the mast bracket while I'm up there patching up some old leaky antenna hole patches.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
wa4jr

Post by wa4jr »

I run mogas in my '54 170B with no apparent leakage from the fuel vent stand pipe under any conditions. No holes in the back of the neck, and a small patch of window screen secured over the vent entrance to keep FOD out.
John, 2734C in Summit Point, WV
zero.one.victor

I have a little piece of window screen secured witha ty-wrap over the open end of the fuel vent to keep out the little buggies,too. I have also seen a hinged cover,similar to my pitot cover,used on a fuel vent. I think it was originally intended as a pitot cover for the later model,heated Cessna pitots.

Eric