EAA membership

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

trake wrote:Russ is right, the EAA mags have gotten stale. So has AOPA PILOT. FLYING magazine is absurd. Is there a good mag about bush/grass roots flying [besides 170 News]?
Try http://www.pilotgetaways.com/ . It only comes every other month, has only a reasonable amount of advertising, isn't very thick to begin with, but has LOTS of info on places to fly and what to do when you get there. If I had to pare down to one avmag this would be it.

Miles
DWood

EAA membership

Post by DWood »

I always read and seldom reply. I renewed my AOPA membership after 9/11 after letting it lapse for several years. If we hope to be flying for years to come,we had better belong to strong organizations looking out for our interests. EAA also looks out for us at a lesser extent. I can take or leave the magazines as they are getting boring. However, we all need to know the aviation news.
I am glad others see Flying Mag as I do, I can't afford what they write about.
russfarris

Post by russfarris »

Well, there's no shortage of opinions! I'll expand a little on where I was going with this.

First, we do need strong representation in Washington to protect our interests. AOPA is the front line on this and has been for many years.

I've got a collection of Flying magazines dating back to the 1940s. At that time AOPA didn't have their own magazine; it was a section in Flying. One amusing thing to me is that ANY change to the staus quo was anathema to them. When the VOR system and VHF communications were being phased in the early 1950s, AOPA was there protesting that thousands of radios would become obsolete, forcing owners to buy expensive new VHF radios (No argrument there!)

Same thing happened later with light airplane transponders. AOPA
felt any light plane should have the right to fly into JFK without one. After a series of jetliner/GA collisions in the late 1960s they insisted that see and avoid was perfectly viable, and the jet crews were at fault for not spotting the other airplane in time, even at speeds of nearly 300 MPH below 10,000 feet.

Don't misunderstand me; I fully support AOPA and the work they do. By digging in their heels on every possible change to the freedoms we enjoy as private pilots, we get the best shot on minimizing the damage. I have been in AOPA for nearly 20 years, and plan on remaining one.

The EAA is more problematic. It's not nearly as effective a lobbying organisation as AOPA, sometimes they appear to working at cross-purposes.

I hate to sound cynical, but the EAA has turned into a cash cow for
Poberezny and company. They must collect close to 12 million in dues alone from 170,000 members, assuming an average of 70 bucks per. They get to buy and fly lots of neat airplanes, like the B-17 Sentimental
Journey, a B-25 ect. I know they are a non-profit org, but it seems to me
that the money that goes through AOPA does a lot more good for our right to fly than anything EAA has done, especially lately.

Incidently, as you model airplane guys know, the same complaint has been made about the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) for years -
that the organisation has evolved into a self-serving, bloated organism
more attendant to its own needs than the members it was supposed to serve.

Of course, I could be wrong :lol: ...Russ Farris
Last edited by russfarris on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All glory is fleeting...
WWhunter

Post by WWhunter »

Russ,

I agree with nearly everything you have said. I rarely read much in AOPA anymore as they seem to be going the route of Flying. I am also a homebuilder so I belong to EAA also but it seems like most of the stuff in their mag is also going towards the quarter-half million dollar "Fast Glass" planes also. I will keep my membership for as long as I deem they are doing "something" good for GA.
I agree 100% on the part about EAA being a free ride for the Poberezny bunch. I have been goin g to Oshkosh for many years and the price of stuff and entrance is getting a little out of hand. Very easy to spend $1,000 for a couple days visit. And when a guy has a family that can be quite a bit.

Keith
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

Pilot Getaways Magazine has a lot of really neat places to fly to, especially if you want to spend $150 to $200 a night for a room and $50 to $75 for dinner.
Makes those $100 hamburgers look really good!
BL
WWhunter

Post by WWhunter »

BL,

Another mag for the cavier crowd. :lol:

I think I read that they were going to try to incorporate some stuff like the old Northern Pilot but I haven't seen much that holds my interest.
cessna170bdriver

Post by cessna170bdriver »

blueldr wrote:Pilot Getaways Magazine has a lot of really neat places to fly to, especially if you want to spend $150 to $200 a night for a room and $50 to $75 for dinner.
Makes those $100 hamburgers look really good!
Find a copy and read it a bit closer, Dick. There's always at least one back country destination in each issue, and usually one or two others for the "cheaper" tastes. Case in point, New Cuyama, CA. They also did one on Columbia, CA a year or two ago. An article in PG a few years ago is what finally inspired me to fly into Johnson Creek.

Miles
WWhunter

Post by WWhunter »

Miles,

You are right. They usually have at least one "out in the country" article. I was just hoping they would incorporate more back country stuff. I guess we "country boys" aren't their biggest readers so they have to try and satisfy the people that subscribe. It is a beautifully laid out magazine though with usually spectacular photos.
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

I subscribed to "Pilot Gettaways" as one of their launch subscribers and took it for two years. I lost interest and dropped it.
Last year my daughter Nancy, a FedEx pilot based in the far east, was jump seating home and she ran across a copy on the Northwest 747. She thought it was just what I needed an got me a subscription again. Her heart was in the right place and I appreciate her thoughtful generosity, but I still don't care for the magazine.
BL