Expanded forum Titles

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

4-Shipp

Expanded forum Titles

Post by 4-Shipp »

I took a look this week at the Cub site. The first thing I noticed was that they had many more forum titles than we do. Not that we should expand just for the sake of expanding, but perhaps we would be better served if the Hangar was divided into several MX related forums such as engine, airframe, flight controls, etc or something similar. This maight make it easier to locate past threads on specific subjects. Any thoughts?

Bruce
Last edited by 4-Shipp on Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Shipp
former owners of N49CP, '53 C170B
blueldr

Post by blueldr »

This system seems to be doing OK. I'm not a big enough CUB fan to look at their site.
BL
Alterfede

Post by Alterfede »

This style seems to work fine, at least for me, i entered the cub site to see, and the amount of titles shocked me at first sight. And i think that we dont have a big amount of posts to add more titles. When i enter and there are 10 posts on hangar and pilot lounge i dont get very afraid. :oops: saludos
Fede Ranea
federanea@yahoo.com.ar
TIC170A #7450
Buenos Aires
LV-FEH 1950 C170A
zero.one.victor

Post by zero.one.victor »

Let's keep it simple,like it is. The Cub site has too many choices--kinda like Baskin-Robbins.

Eric
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Joined the Cub site as I am also a Cub owner. My first thought was what a mess. I want to read all the posts no matter the subject cause I may learn somthing.
I like our forum as is with one exception. It would be nice to be able to post and retrieve documents such as PDF files of 337s and service bulletins. This is a neat feature of the Cessna 140 site.
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
lowNslow

Re: Expanded forum Titles

Post by lowNslow »

4-Shipp wrote:I took a look this week at the Cub site. The first thing I noticed was that they had many more forum titles than we do. Not that we should expand just for the sake of expanding, but perhaps we would be better served if the Hangar was divided into several MX related forums such as engine, airframe, flight controls, etc or something similar. This maight make it easier to locate past threads on specific subjects. Any thoughts?

Bruce
It seems hard enough to get everyone to post to the right section here (i.e. maintenance items in the "Lounge" secton), I think more sections would only make that worse.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

AWW-RIGHT, GUYS!!
NOW CUT THAT OUT!!
If I gave you more discussion titles you'd probably just ignore them just like you did THIS one! :wink:
THIS one is in The Hangar.....where maintenance issues should be, rather than The Pilot Lounge where general discussion items should be. :roll:
Seriously, I already spend a lot too much time "splitting" topics, and relocating discussions where they belong, and deleting topics that are off-color or Bla--king out language not befitting a family site. (We have ladies and minors present, folks. We do not want to "censor" or "censure" so...please keep it polite, OK?)
It seems to me that there are basically two primary types of conversation appropriate to a site devoted to Cessna 170's: Those about general flying/airplane topics, etc. --which belong in The Pilot Lounge,.... And those about Maintenance issues, etc. -- which belong in The Hangar. The Mx Library as originally planned is for specifications/documentation that can be shared without violating copyrights (and was already envisioned to eventually expand to include the .pdf and/or Acrobat files such as just mentioned by a member.)
And the seperate area for Members Issues/Members Only such as The Trade Mart, etc. is primarily for business matters of TIC170A members.
Surely when posting messages we can decide if they are of "general interest" or "Maintenance" issues, and can put them into one of those categories?
If you are searching for a particular topic or word, then a huge multitude of large titles will not make the job any easier, in fact it would worsen the situation because you'd have to re-enter which title to search under each time it was not found. As it presently exists, all that's necessary to find something is to click on the "Search" icon at the top of any page and fill in the blanks. Most items will be found after only one or two attempts.
Please keep in mind that messages that blatantly post an advertisement are not permitted without sending it to the Trade Mart through webmaster@cessna170.org , and that topics should not get too off subject (such as deep discussions about other websites and topics which are not even distantly :roll: related to Cessna 170's. Those should find another venue and should not be placed here. (If you want to mention how your Cessna 170 is better suited to carry more pax than your Stearman which also isn't suitable for foul-weather, that would be a topic properly discussed in The Pilot Lounge,...but if you want to talk about how Stearman's seat rails are better re-chromed and de-hydrogenated before re-installing them, or how the Bonanza website has become too controversial and why those guys are stuck-up society-freaks,...then take it over to those websites and make a difference.) Let's keep this discussion forum primarily about Cessna 170's and the great people who own and admire them,..OK?
I hope this explanation and suggestion is helpful. Thanks.
Bill Venohr

Post by Bill Venohr »

Amen!
Bill Venohr
N4044V
Aurora, CO
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Of course, the 180 and 172 cousins are welcome here too! I wouldn't want to lose Harold or Frank! :lol:
Harold Holiman

Overgrown 170

Post by Harold Holiman »

Thanks George,

After all, I still call my 180 my "Overgrown 170 with a funny tail". Keep up the good work and hope to see you at the convention this coming summer.

Harold
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

With the current discussions about engine conversions and all the things I'm doing to 18A I've been thinking we could have a seperate forum of "Projects" and have those who wish start threads of their current project. We could then post photos and descriptions of interesting phases as we go along. We have a lot of talent in the club that are not talking about what they are doing. Kind of a show and tell forum. I think the photos would be of great help to others.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
doug8082a

Post by doug8082a »

I agree that we shouldn't have too many forums, but having a place to upload photos would be nice. We had a LOT of photos on the old Yahoo site (which are still accessible), but it would be nice to be able to have everything in one place. It would also be nice to post new photos (projects or other) here so folks can see what we are doing or to help illustrate a problem or whatever. Mr. Webmaster - any thoughts???
Doug
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Dave Clark wrote:With the current discussions about engine conversions and all the things I'm doing to 18A I've been thinking we could have a seperate forum of "Projects" and have those who wish start threads of their current project. We could then post photos and descriptions of interesting phases as we go along. We have a lot of talent in the club that are not talking about what they are doing. Kind of a show and tell forum. I think the photos would be of great help to others.
I suggest that if you wish to share your project with others, simply open a new topic, call it "N1234A Project" and have at it. There is no advantage to having additional forums for that purpose that I can see.
Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

But George it's N8018A! He He! I get your point. I just wish I could see what others are doing. I'll probably post mine as soon as I can figure out how to insert a photo. It looks like most of my photos are between 80 and 100kb. I don't know if that's too big or what.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180