Rosen Sun Visors

How to keep the Cessna 170 flying and airworthy.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Bruce,
If you look really close you can see the shadow from the original sun visor mounting bracket in the head liner behind the Rosen bracket.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Sent from my "Cray Super Computer"
Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

So original mounting holes are used?
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

N9149A wrote:So original mounting holes are used?
That is the main reason I mounted them the way I did. The Rosen visor seems to be somewat of a universal kit. I did not want to drill holes in the virtical face of the carry through spar and I did not want the visors right in my face and bumping my head when not in use.
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Bruce Fenstermacher

Post by Bruce Fenstermacher »

Paul Wood, TIC170A VP appearently has been lurking at the forum. He sent me this photo taken of his plane at the same angle of Johns photo of the visor attachment John made. This photo clearly shows the stock holes used in the carry through spar. One on the right has a nut plate, the left does not. If I understand his email the left side of the carry through (not pictured) only has one hole.

Paul also sent some photos of the snow he had to "trudge" through to get to his hanger he can see from his porch to get the photo. He mentioned something about dedication to forum photo documentation. I was impressed by this dedication but then I realized, HE CAN SEE HIS HANGER FROM HIS PORCH. :lol:
CAUTION - My forum posts may be worth what you paid for them!

Bruce Fenstermacher, Past President, TIC170A
Email: brucefenster at gmail.com
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

A riv-nut can be installed on the hole not equipped using only a rivet squeeze-gun. (Since it's not strucural, even a non aviation rivnut can be used, IMHO.)
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

N9149A wrote: Paul also sent some photos of the snow he had to "trudge" through to get to his hanger he can see from his porch to get the photo. He mentioned something about dedication to forum photo documentation. I was impressed by this dedication but then I realized, HE CAN SEE HIS HANGER FROM HIS PORCH. :lol:
Dedication I'll say, he not only trudged through the snow to take the picture he took down the headliner to expose the holes. :wink:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

johneeb wrote:
N9149A wrote: Paul also sent some photos of the snow he had to "trudge" through to get to his hanger he can see from his porch to get the photo. He mentioned something about dedication to forum photo documentation. I was impressed by this dedication but then I realized, HE CAN SEE HIS HANGER FROM HIS PORCH. :lol:
Dedication I'll say, he not only trudged through the snow to take the picture he took down the headliner to expose the holes. :wink:
Ha! Paul's interior has been removed for years. "Any day" now he'll have that thing flying again. (But by that time that 1800' strip may be too short for all that extra weight folks gain in old age!) :lol:
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

blueldr wrote:Jeez! All this over sun shields.

Real pilots just squint!
Blue,
As we get older and have a face lift or two we do not have enough skin left to squint!!!! :roll:
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Kyle Wolfe

Post by Kyle Wolfe »

Johneeb, with the bracket pointing forward, does the visor still come back towards the pilot and stow up near the headliner above the pilot's head? Or does it always stow in a forward position just under the windshield?

Thanks guys for posting the pictures, and to Paul too for trudging through all that snow - though I can't believe it was too deep!
Kyle
54 B N1932C
57 BMW Isetta
Best original 170B - Dearborn, MI 2005
johneeb

Post by johneeb »

Kyle Wolfe wrote:Johneeb, with the bracket pointing forward, does the visor still come back towards the pilot and stow up near the headliner above the pilot's head? Or does it always stow in a forward position just under the windshield?

Thanks guys for posting the pictures, and to Paul too for trudging through all that snow - though I can't believe it was too deep!
Hi Kyle, we got your weather today, 0 degrees and the wind is blowing 20 gusting to 30.

I mounted the swivel above the bracket to try to get the best out of the way location (for me) when stowed which is forward. If you wanted to stow the visor to the rear you you would have to mount the swivel below the bracket. :D
John E. Barrett
aka. Johneb

Dave Clark

Post by Dave Clark »

Okay I'll chime in on this one. On 18A, since all you need is the bottom bolts, I milled off the angle part so that all I had was a flat mount. This allowed me to set the mount forward or aft. Aft it would be tighter to your headset when stowed and forward didn't get the little piece of windshield up by the vent where the sun always is. I think the articulated option would help that a lot.
Dave
N92CP ("Clark's Plane")
1953 C-180
4583C

Post by 4583C »

Kyle Wolfe wrote: Thanks guys for posting the pictures, and to Paul too for trudging through all that snow - though I can't believe it was too deep!
Kyle
It was the deepest snow we've had in two or three years... at least 1 1/2" ,maybe 2". :lol: I told Ron Massicot the other day I'm ready for spring, we've already had our two weeks of winter.
cfzxo

Rosen Sun Visors

Post by cfzxo »

Hi , On my 55 170-B I mounted them pointing forward, I also still have the V brace which still allows me to have visor stored forward or aft. darn nice unit.
Bill
KMac

Post by KMac »

Kyle,
I think the articulating type allows you to push them out forward a little more as well as cover the side windows when you are up side down :D I didn't know they came in different styles. Maybe if you were flying over water covering the side windows would be necessary - or at sunset?
I haven't been using them very much lately anyway - I am learning to just squint!
Kevin
bradbrady

Post by bradbrady »

Guys,
Just rember these are installed on a field aproval, and as of yeaterday my FSDO reminded me that from now on I don't send my 337'S to my FSDO but to the main Office at FAA Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-750; P.O. Box 25504; Oklahoma City, OK.73125-0504. So you no longer get your PMI to check your work it goes straight to the main office! Make sure that your I's are dotted and your T's are crossed!!!!! :evil: :roll: :wink:
brad