Seat rail ?

A place to relax and discuss flying topics.

Moderators: GAHorn, Karl Towle, Bruce Fenstermacher

Farnold

Seat Rail?

Post by Farnold »

Go with the Aerostop!!!

I just acquired a 180 recently. Got concerned about the extra climb performance and what it could do if the seat pin failed. It has the same seat rail configuration as my 170 did - pin holes on one track only. I use the usual U shaped pins at the fore and aft final holes for final security as per the AD, (I think).

The Aerostop goes on the inboard rail allowing you to easily climb in as it only shortens the rearward seat range of motion about 1 1/2". You then reach down with the right hand, slide the Aerostop forward to the rear seat foot and lock it down with the cam lock lever. Sweet! Reverse to get out. Added it to my checklist - we all follow a written check list, right?

More expensive then the T-Stop device but well worth the extra dollars. What with AvFuel around $3 / gallon, what is $15 or so.
DensityDog

Post by DensityDog »

The Aerostops are great. I use them on the inboard rail as Farnold describes. Not really that expensive in the overall scheme of aviation things.
I ended up using them after I went to the mountain flying seminar in Challis, Idaho. An instructor that I had flown with there was a very experienced bush pilot and owned a C185. He noticed that I did not use any seat safety stops. He was so concerned about this, even though my seat rails and pins were/are fine, that he LOANED me an Aerostop for my flight home from Idaho. His advice was that sooner or later, your seat is going to slide on you.
I have had the passenger side seat slip once on takeoff, but it was not engaged properly on the track after an annual that I had a little "help" on.
Fortunately my father, who was my passenger that day, did not grab for the wheel.
AR Dave

Post by AR Dave »

Install a V-Brace!
Works great for all kind of exciting moments, seat slide recovery, turbelance, getting in plane, etc..
Walker

Post by Walker »

In preparing my seats for re-installation, I discovered that the way the seats were last upholstered, that the aluminum seat skirt is under tremendous tension. While trying to relieve the pressure, the skirt moved up. In doing so, it pushed the actuating arm up also which raised the locking pin. I could imagine that the skirt could break loose in use (being under such pressure and cracked with age) and release the the pin. I wonder if this could be an overlooked contributing cause.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

If the skirt is properly mounted it is screwed to the framework and cannot move.
'53 B-model N146YS SN:25713
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
An originality nut (mostly) for the right reasons. ;)
futr_alaskaflyer

Post by futr_alaskaflyer »

Blast from the past...

Bought the aerostop and finally installed it today. Seems like I will like it a lot more than the saf-t-stop. BTW I also have the little u-shaped safety pins installed on the rails further back and all the way forward - I'm using the aerostop to slide up closer to the seat to minimize potential backward slides.

Though as of yet I've never had a problem with an unplanned seat slide. I'm pretty good about rocking back and forth every time I adjust the seat.

The photo above "clicked" something in my mind - both aerostop and the saf-t-stop people recommend installing them on the inside seat rails. Easier to reach between the seats to access them in an emergency exit than between the seat and the door.
Richard
N3477C
'55 B model (Franklin 6A-165-B3 powered, any others out there?)
Romeo Tango

Preflight Briefing

Post by Romeo Tango »

I have the Aerostops, would not be without them. And I make a point of briefing passengers before departure on how to disengage them, going so far as to put their hand on it and have them rotate the lever. I don't plan to be incapacitated, but that's why I brief on it.
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

Metal Master wrote:...The u shaped piece of metal is not the original part for the seat stop for a any 170. But it is what I will have on my airplane in front of the seat rail and at the back way back. It is also not a part of AD 87-20-03 R2...Jim
I believe it is Part Number 0511301-67, Fig 18, item 44 in both the 170A and 170B IPC.
50th Anniversary of Flight Model. Winner-Best Original 170B, 100th Anniversary of Flight Convention.
LEA

Seat Rails

Post by LEA »

I had a terrifying experience with a seat sliding back on take-off
in my Cessna 195 .Unlike all other Cessna the C190 & C 195 seat belts fasten to the seat and not to the floor of the aircraft .When the seat slides back you don't have any slack in the belt to reach forward and are strapped in . I manage to unbuckle the seat belt and grab the under panel hand hold to pull my self forward and push forward on the control colum
( trim for Take-off) to avert a stall . With this lesson in mind I purchased
2 Safety Stops and mounted one each on the inside rails of each seat.
After loading my passenger and myself into our respective seats ,I slide the stops up against the seats with my right hand to insure their positive
position. After landing and to deplane it is a simple matter to again use my right hand to release the stops with two turns of the screw ,and slide the seats back .I now employ the same proceedure on my C170.
Bob
Always a tail dragger! 1948 C170 Ragwing
Luscombe
Stinson V77
Waco UPF-7
Stinson Voager
Cessna 195B
GAHorn

Post by GAHorn »

I don't like aftermarket seat stops but even if I had them they'd not likely do me much good. For some reason not understood by me, Jamie has lapses of memory and occasionally decides to slide her seat forward or sit up from a reclined position by.... grabbing the yoke and pulling! 8O
:lol:
Haydon

Post by Haydon »

Howdy George,

I was thinking.....if you put a seat stop on front and one on the back of her seat track.....and delayed the "stall recovery"....Jamie might think you had installed a power seat on her side......That oughta be "slicker than deer guts on a door knob" and only a two minute install and approved to boot.... 8)

Richard....... :idea:
Richard Haydon
'49 170A
Ducote Airpark TS65